K2 Visa Holder

20 year old K2 Visa Holder change her name

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Your post is very confusing. 

"Provided a name change" means what? Provided by who? What kind of document are you referring to that would allow you to change your name as the child of a parent who marries a step parent?

You are not eligible to change your name because your mother got married. To change your name you must go the legal route in civil court or be adopted or wait until citizenship.

Why would you not be eligible to AOS? I'm not understanding the relation between "being provided a name change" and not being eligble to file I485.

Once your K1 parent marries, you are eligible to AOS as well as soon as the official MC is available. 

I'll respond to further questions provided you fill out your VJ timeline as you do not have one posted. 

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Your post is very confusing. 

"Provided a name change" means what? Provided by who? What kind of document are you referring to that would allow you to change your name as the child of a parent who marries a step parent?

You are not eligible to change your name because your mother got married. To change your name you must go the legal route in civil court or be adopted or wait until citizenship.

Why would you not be eligible to AOS? I'm not understanding the relation between "being provided a name change" and not being eligble to file I485.

Once your K1 parent marries, you are eligible to AOS as well as soon as the official MC is available. 

I'll respond to further questions provided you fill out your VJ timeline as you do not have one posted. 

Actually my father asked the court lady, a friend of his, if I can change my surname to his, I was very absent-minded that time since I was so happy for both of them that I didn't realize I was changing my last name to my step-dad's last name, as I've heard from the court lady, in a week's time, my new name with the provided documents will be sent to our home. My only problem is that, will my new name affect my AOS application? Some said it won't, some say it would, which is very confusing, I live in Virginia as well.

Edited by K2 Visa Holder

9 hours ago, K2 Visa Holder said:

Actually my father asked the court lady, a friend of his, if I can change my surname to his, I was very absent-minded that time since I was so happy for both of them that I didn't realize I was changing my last name to my step-dad's last name, as I've heard from the court lady, in a week's time, my new name with the provided documents will be sent to our home. My only problem is that, will my new name affect my AOS application? Some said it won't, some say it would, which is very confusing, I live in Virginia as well.

Wait to see what kind of documents you get, you'll then have instructions on how to proceed.  I find it doubtful that an adult name change would happen when their parent get married, but who knows?

Please come back to let us know what the documents say. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.