5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have my medical on Thursday and I've been reading this forum religiously to prepare for it but haven't been seeing anything recent regarding people's experiences, specifically with MH, other conditions and their letters. I knew the topic of MH would pop up at the medical so I decided to be pro-active and obtain a letter from my GP ahead of time in February. Now, I wasn't sure if a letter would be needed or not because I only have one mention of mental health on my medical summary 6 years ago and it was never an official diagnosis but I did receive a course of therapy.

The letter reads;
" [retropeach12] and I spoke today to discuss her general overall health. The focus of the consultation was her code of [MH issue] [DATE]. She feels absolutely fantastic right now and has had no issues with mental health over the past 3 years since completing her course of therapy. [retropeach12] had private therapy and NHS counselling between [DATE]. She had a course of Citalopram in [DATE] but discontinued after a month due to the intolerable side effects and a further trial of Mirtazapine in [DATE] but also felt like this was not beneficial. She has never attempted suicide, engaged in self-harming behaviour or had a history of violence towards others. She has never been diagnosed with a mental health condition.
After a lengthy course of therapy, that she responded really well to, her symptoms have utterly resolved. We have not consulted her on any aspect of her mood since [DATE] when she finished our course of treatment with our Health and Wellbeing coach, reporting that she was the "happiest she has felt in a very long time" (this was not mental health related). It is of my opinion that her mental health has no bearing on her current health and symptoms and she certainly is no risk to herself or others." 

My question is, how does this read? I did provide him with the helpful template I've been seeing around this forum. I did also choose to pay for a mental health assessment and I have another A4 report to take in from a clinical psychologist. I'm aware this probably wasn't needed since I don't have a long history or a mental health condition but I wanted to make sure I covered all of my bases. I don't have anything from the previous therapist I saw and when I called up, they were unwilling to compose a letter based on my treatment or current mental health because of the time passed.

The only other official diagnosis I have for any "serious" medical condition is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) which I do currently take medicine for. I do have a report for this but it's VERY brief. It mentions how I was diagnosed and how I'm managing now, plus the medications I'm taking but doesn't specify the role of the medication so I'm not sure if I'll be questioned on that. I want to make sure that I have all my bases covered before Thursday because I don't want to have to go back to my GP since it was like pulling teeth to obtain a letter in the first place. 

I can't wait for all of this to be over with. Your advice & help is much appreciated. 

Timeline

As far as I know, the key phrase that needs to be in a mental health related letter is that you are not a harm to yourself or others, which is in there, so I think that looks good and I'd definitely take it. My fiance had to obtain a similar letter. 

I can't speak to the PCOS diagnosis but it sounds to me like you've very thoroughly prepared and have your bases covered. Good luck at your appointment! My fiance's is next Friday!

Hi! I had my medical just last week. I have a history of depression and was on medication for 4 years, but came off it several months ago.

My doctor was useless at giving me detail on it: my patients summary just said “Depression Resolved” on the date I started coming off my medication. Didn’t even have a start date for it. 

The Visa Medicals doctor asked me some basic questions about the condition and ensured that I was now feeling fine. I specifically asked and the doctor said she had no concerns.I think your letter sounds like more than enough.

Best of luck!! 

Timeline
4 hours ago, alliejourney said:

As far as I know, the key phrase that needs to be in a mental health related letter is that you are not a harm to yourself or others, which is in there, so I think that looks good and I'd definitely take it. My fiance had to obtain a similar letter. 

I can't speak to the PCOS diagnosis but it sounds to me like you've very thoroughly prepared and have your bases covered. Good luck at your appointment! My fiance's is next Friday!

All I'm doing is overthinking. It's terrible. I'm driving my fiance crazy haha!! I'll update after Thursday to let you know how it's gone. Good luck to them too! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, amnw said:

Hi! I had my medical just last week. I have a history of depression and was on medication for 4 years, but came off it several months ago.

My doctor was useless at giving me detail on it: my patients summary just said “Depression Resolved” on the date I started coming off my medication. Didn’t even have a start date for it. 

The Visa Medicals doctor asked me some basic questions about the condition and ensured that I was now feeling fine. I specifically asked and the doctor said she had no concerns.I think your letter sounds like more than enough.

Best of luck!! 

This is very reassuring to hear. It's glad to hear from somebody with a recent experience too! Did you have therapy or anything like that? Was the Visa Medicals doctor nice and did she question you a lot on your MH or was it a one & done situation and that was that. I'm sorry for all the questions, I am just so nervous lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.