Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,301 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, DS5535_Child said:

Flagging this again. Please make your voice heard. The more we make noise the more likely this is to get attention and move.

Most immigration applications have been shortening timelines, so it seems like the administration wants to shorten timelines, they probably just don't know this is a problem.
Plz help send a comment to the administration per below.

@Leo The Great @Sisa24 @CL23 @JanMontrealDS5535 @cala2023 @frhm @julia_29387 @Halioak @Gha @tas005 @yvesemma @ak47 @Phil_K_IR1

---

DOS seems to have opened an inquiry on DS 5535 in the last few weeks. I think this is a good sign.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2024/04/29/2024-09082/30-day-notice-of-proposed-information-collection-supplemental-questions-for-visa-applicants#:~:text=The DS-5535 solicits additional biographic information that,providing a copy of the questions electronically

I am positive if enough of us complain about the process they may staff up more people or change the process altogether. Please state your case and how unreasonable the process is.

From what I understand, to submit comments you need to follow these steps:

1. Go here: https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/PRAMain _> 

2. Use the Find functionality of your browser and look for entry "Supplemental Questions for Visa Applicants" or OMB Control Number: "1405-0226".

3. Click "Comment" next to the entry you found.
4. Submit the comment. Make sure to cite specifically Montreal and DS 5535 and long timelines.

Thank you for innitiating this.  Provided my comment, but I do expect the gov to take longer than AP time to process the comment and hopefully they can come up with a reform by 2050.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, CL23 said:

Isn’t there a new rule out that medical appts after November 2023 don’t expire? I could have sworn my lawyer sent us that! 
I am so sorry you’re in the same boat. This process needs to be expedited immensely. 

I am not aware of that rule. 

I asked Doctor's office and they told medical is valid for 6 months only.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Leo The Great said:

Your kids need to activate visa before it expiry. I guess you already know it. 

Yes, kids went to US border and got the entry stamped on the passports.

We did informed the border officer that we are going back to canada. And the final move will be when I receive the visa. 

Let's hope visa is issued before August.

Kids are excited to start next grade  school in US.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Halioak said:

Provided my comment, but I do expect the gov to take longer than AP time to process the comment and hopefully they can come up with a reform by 2050.

LOL 😂 and the government is well aware of these consular delays being a huge problem 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DS5535_Child said:

Flagging this again. Please make your voice heard. The more we make noise the more likely this is to get attention and move.

Most immigration applications have been shortening timelines, so it seems like the administration wants to shorten timelines, they probably just don't know this is a problem.

@Leo The Great @Sisa24 @CL23 @JanMontrealDS5535 @cala2023 @frhm @julia_29387 @Halioak @Gha @tas005 @yvesemma @ak47 @Phil_K_IR1

---

DOS seems to have opened an inquiry on DS 5535 in the last few weeks. I think this is a good sign.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2024/04/29/2024-09082/30-day-notice-of-proposed-information-collection-supplemental-questions-for-visa-applicants#:~:text=The DS-5535 solicits additional biographic information that,providing a copy of the questions electronically

I am positive if enough of us complain about the process they may staff up more people or change the process altogether. Please state your case and how unreasonable the process is.

2. Use the Find functionality of your browser and look for entry "Supplemental Questions for Visa Applicants" or OMB Control Number: "1405-0226".

4. Submit the comment. Make sure to cite specifically Montreal and DS 5535 and long timelines.

I provided comments/suggestions to speed up AP last year and also  read the most of the comments when they published them later in the year

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DOS-2023-0028-0001 (last year link)

Do not see much difference in last year and this year proposal. Looks like  they did not take any action last year or earlier this year based on public feedback

Edited by Leo The Great

2 hours ago, DS5535_Child said:

---

I have provided my comments. I hope this will be helpful, but I highly doubt it.

Timeline
4 hours ago, CL23 said:

Isn’t there a new rule out that medical appts after November 2023 don’t expire? I could have sworn my lawyer sent us that! 
I am so sorry you’re in the same boat. This process needs to be expedited immensely. 

USCIS Announces New Guidance on Form I-693 Validity Period

Release Date 

04/04/2024

I don’t see where IR-1/CR-2 visas are exempt20240404-I-693Validity.pdf20240404-I-693Validity.pdf20240404-I-693Validity.pdf

Just now, CarmenD said:

Release Date 

04/04/2024

I don’t see where IR-1/CR-2 visas are exempt20240404-I-693Validity.pdf20240404-I-693Validity.pdf20240404-I-693Validity.pdf

CR-1*

Timeline
1 hour ago, frhm said:

I have provided my comments. I hope this will be helpful, but I highly doubt it.

Like chicken soup, it can’t hurt, but I get your point 😔 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, CarmenD said:

Release Date 

04/04/2024

CR-1*

Good for 2 years .. unless (there’s always exceptions to most rules)

Timeline
4 hours ago, Cholte cholte said:

CL23....I checked daily for the first weeks and it has now dwindled to once a week...which will soon go down to once a moth I am sure...and then it will just be waiting for the e-mail...lol

It’ll come!! Trying to stay positive 🤪🤪 lol! 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Leo The Great said:

I provided comments/suggestions to speed up AP last year and also  read the most of the comments when they published them later in the year

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DOS-2023-0028-0001 (last year link)

Do not see much difference in last year and this year proposal. Looks like  they did not take any action last year or earlier this year based on public feedback

done

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.