Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,238 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

So we had sent an email on March 28th with a valid question (not just asking for an update), and for the first time since we've been inquiring we haven't gotten a reply yet, and I assume won't at all. 

Interesting.. Our 180 day point is early May, so I'm hoping they'd reply if it gets to that. 

Im happy you have been getting some sort of responses. I have emailed them three times since December and have not received any response. I only received one response from them in early December. My last date change was on December 18, 2023. 

Hey guys, my wife has received a request for a medical exam redo after seven months of waiting. Previously, they had kept her passport. Is this a good sign, or do they simply request a redo of the medical exam every six months to keep it updated?

~Timeline (EB-1, healthcare/healthtech):
- September 2023: Interview + DS-5535
- February 2024: Passport request for both of us (I'm the main applicant).
- March 2024: I was cleared; my passport was returned, and my visa expires in two weeks. Her passport is still with them, and there has been no update.
- March 2024: I had to enter the US alone (don’t ask me why they separated a family, nobody knows)
- April 2024: Request for her medical exams renewal after getting Congressmen involved (they didn’t respond to your messages).

Edited by Jettix3221
More info added

1 minute ago, Jettix3221 said:

Hey guys, my wife has received a request for medical exam redo after 7 months of waiting. They also kept her passport before. Is that a good sign or they just ask for med exam redo every 6 months to keep it updated?

Great sign! Means they're ready to issue the visa. Congrats!

May I ask if when you received word from them, did the last updated date change on your case? And was she given a DS-5535 or just asked for a CV? 

Edited by Phil_K_IR1

36 minutes ago, tdot2nj said:

Im happy you have been getting some sort of responses. I have emailed them three times since December and have not received any response. I only received one response from them in early December. My last date change was on December 18, 2023. 

Have you tried going through a congressperson? Seems they always can get a reply, albeit the generic no info kind..

13 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

Great sign! Means they're ready to issue the visa. Congrats!

May I ask if when you received word from them, did the last updated date change on your case? And was she given a DS-5535 or just asked for a CV? 

The last case update was when they have requested new med exam. I’ve never received case updates when they responded w templates (idk why tho).

It was just a DS5535 due to my background in tech 

Edited by Jettix3221
New data

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
10 minutes ago, dj222 said:

Wait so there are cases of DS 5355 being approved under 90 days from Montreal? Whats happening in the background?

I feel these are the less complex SAO cases, but at least there’s some movement which inspires hope for all of us stuck in the deep Dreaded DS-5535 black hole at the Montréal consulate

1 minute ago, CarmenD said:

I feel these are the less complex SAO cases, but at least there’s some movement which inspires hope for all of us stuck in the deep Dreaded DS-5535 black hole at the Montréal consulate

Wife and I are likely SAO (only CV requested). Approaching 6 month point since interview. 

If there's one thing I learned in this process it's that there's really no logic or pattern to any of this. Things move when they move, and it's anyone's guess. 

However there's been a very evident increase in requests for medical/approvals. Maybe things are finally improving? 

Looks like AP started moving for some folks but not sequentially (Donald WU declaration also says DS-5535 cases are not processed on first come first served basis) 

Apart from Jettix3221, there another case from April 2023 (guest - K1 visa) was cleared recently as indicated in spreadsheet.

Anyway it is good sign for all of us.

Edited by Leo The Great

1 hour ago, Jettix3221 said:

Thank you, guys, for your replies. I am really looking forward to seeing any movement; I wasn't sure if the medical exam redo meant anything positive. Wishing you strength in this frustrating situation.

Congrats!. Since consulate kept your passport so they can only ask for re-Medical before they stamp visa. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.