Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,230 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, LukeCanada said:

I was Document Qualified on Jan 9th and interviewed at Montreal on Apr 5th. Got DS 5535ed after a pretty quick and painless interview. I asked if I'm missing any documents, he said no. "We just want to get some more information from you, just fill out this online form, it'll come straight to our office, then you'll send your passport to our address and we'll send it back to you"

So I'm a little confused, I wait for them to review and approve the DD 5535 (which I sent back on Apr 6th 2024) before I send away my passport, correct?

Sorry to hear. Do you know what might be the reason for AP?

For those of you who have filled out DS5355, just a few questions.

When filling out the travel history part, what did you have to fill out? Did you have to provide stay addresses? Did you have to provide transits through airports? What if you visited multiple cities when you traveled to a specific country?

I've traveled to 50+ countries and many more cities within these countries. Not sure how detailed I have to be. Sometimes I would stay in multiple airbnb/hotsels etc. Not even sure if I can track down all the addresses I've stayed at.

2 minutes ago, WMBB said:

Hi Everyone,

My long wait is finally over.  My CEAC case finally changed to Issued today!  Now I await my passport.

It has been a very long road since the interview (Nov 22, 2022!  Yes, 2022!).  And I also had to wait a year for the interview itself!  

Given that we sent all requested documents and passport in for which were received on March 22, this stretch felt the longest.

We asked our Senator for assistance.  She did follow up with Montreal yesterday I believe.  Whether this is just coincidence my case would have been approved today regardless, I do not know.  I will give her the credit though.  

I checked first this morning and the date change so I know something was possibly going on, but still refused.  Then checked early this afternoon and it read Issued.

Thank you to this group for your continued support.  You were a life line during this.  None of you should be here!  It will be my mission going forward to advocate for change!  I wish you all nothing but the very best and hope your Issued day will finally come, sooner than later!  Stay strong and fight!  If I can do this so can you.  

Congratulations! The nightmare is over! 

I can't believe it took a 2022 DQ/interview this long... Can you share specifics of all your timeline? DQ, interview, 221g/5535, etc

Timeline
12 minutes ago, WMBB said:

Hi Everyone,

My long wait is finally over.  My CEAC case finally changed to Issued today!  Now I await my passport.

It has been a very long road since the interview (Nov 22, 2022!  Yes, 2022!).  And I also had to wait a year for the interview itself!  

Given that we sent all requested documents and passport in for which were received on March 22, this stretch felt the longest.

We asked our Senator for assistance.  She did follow up with Montreal yesterday I believe.  Whether this is just coincidence my case would have been approved today regardless, I do not know.  I will give her the credit though.  

I checked first this morning and the date change so I know something was possibly going on, but still refused.  Then checked early this afternoon and it read Issued.

Thank you to this group for your continued support.  You were a life line during this.  None of you should be here!  It will be my mission going forward to advocate for change!  I wish you all nothing but the very best and hope your Issued day will finally come, sooner than later!  Stay strong and fight!  If I can do this so can you.  

Congratulations

Filed: IR-5 Country: Canada
Timeline
18 minutes ago, WMBB said:

Hi Everyone,

Congratulations! Enjoy your USA life with your loved ones.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Canada
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

Congratulations! The nightmare is over! 

I can't believe it took a 2022 DQ/interview this long... Can you share specifics of all your timeline? DQ, interview, 221g/5535, etc

These all can be found from the excel file.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit#gid=0

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, DadofUSCitizen said:

yes I updated my timeline on the spreadsheet.  The dates are exact.

Timeline
On 4/8/2024 at 9:33 PM, Ryan17 said:

I like the idea of a petition, but how about this?  Everyone stuck in this black hole contact your local Congressman.  I contacted mine (Trone in MD) earlier in the process and he got things moving.  His staff member that I have been working with said, “Administrative Processing is frustrating to say the least,” but he inquires about once a month and is provided with a response.  As you contact your Congressman, Senator, etc. quote how many others have done the same.  As that list grows, sooner or later one of the politicians is going to see this problem, and they are the only ones who can fix it.  The Department of State may be able to ignore one politician, but if a bunch of them gang up on the Department of State, they will be held accountable.  This is free, and a very simple thing to do.  Send me a message if you have any questions.

The Congressperson for my district in SoFL has submitted two congressional inquiries.  The replies from the Consulate has been the standard cookie cutter (in AP, when completed will advise, blah, blah) replies I receive when inquiring myself.  Knowing who my senator is, I can guarantee he’s not going to get involved.  I suppose some of these politician representatives take a deeper interest in bringing about change for their constituents, but I would say most probably couldn’t care less.  While the inquiries can’t hurt, quite frankly they’re not that effective in placing much pressure to adjudicate a case.  

I received an interesting response from the consulate today that might be relevant for people in DS-5535 who are considering AOS. For context, I've been in DS-5535 processing since September, recently I applied for AOS from within the US (based on my L1 status) and sent a message to the consulate to withdraw the case from the consulate so that it can continue to be processed as AOS instead. After almost a month, this was their response:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding this matter.

As soon as your I-485 petition is approved by DHS, please send us a copy of your approval notice so we can return your case to USCIS to be processed there.

Regards,
OP03"

I'm not sure if they actually meant I-485 *receipt* notice... Since I-485 approval happens after all the processing is done, so what they said doesn't seem to make sense. I guess I'll send them the receipt notice just in case.

Just sharing my experience.

Edited by dmitrych

Timeline
On 4/9/2024 at 10:41 AM, ajxl888 said:

Has anyone abandoned this route and decided to have their American spouse immigrate to Canada instead?  What is that process like?  Is it just as slow?

I moved to Canada in late 2015 after marriage (held in Las Vegas) to a Canadian born citizen, in 2014.

We hired a Canadian immigration lawyer to represent us and started the immigration process before I actually relocated to Canada.  It took roughly 3 years from start of application to issuance of PR card.

I could not legally work in Canada until issuance of the PR card, but was allowed to be physically present in Canada while the process was taking place.

There needs to be sufficient proof (pictures, travel, signed friends/family statements) of a legitimate relationship leading to the marriage.  I recall government filing fees being on the pricey side.  An FBI search certificate was required, and I had to undergo a physical examination as well.  

Like @dmitrych I believe the Canadian process is simpler, faster, and has much more predictable timing, unlike in the US, where regardless of whether applying for a green card through consular processing or adjustment status, it’s difficult to predict wait times with any level of certainty.  Also … 

(While it's useful for the participants of this thread to know of alternatives, feel free to ask any remaining questions in a DM to me, so that we don't derail the thread).

Has anyone abandoned this route and decided to have their American spouse immigrate to Canada instead?  What is that process like?  Is it just as slow?

I moved to Canada in late 2015 after marriage (held in Las Vegas) to a Canadian born citizen, in 2014.

We hired a Canadian immigration lawyer to represent us and started the immigration process before I actually relocated to Canada.  It took roughly 3 years from start of application to issuance of PR card.

I could not legally work in Canada until issuance of the PR card, but was allowed to be physically present in Canada while the process was taking place.

There needs to be sufficient proof (pictures, travel, signed friends/family statements) of a legitimate relationship leading to the marriage.  I recall government filing fees being on the pricey side.  An FBI search certificate was required, and I had to undergo a physical examination as well.  

Like @dmitrych I believe the Canadian process is simpler, faster, and has much more predictable timing, unlike in the US, where regardless of whether applying for a green card through consular processing or adjustment status, it’s difficult to predict wait times with any level of certainty.  Also … 

(While it's useful for the participants of this thread to know of alternatives, feel free to ask any remaining questions in a DM to me, so that we don't derail the thread).

Timeline
1 hour ago, dmitrych said:

I received an interesting response from the consulate today that might be relevant for people in DS-5535 who are considering AOS. For context, I've been in DS-5535 processing since September, recently I applied for AOS from within the US (based on my L1 status) and sent a message to the consulate to withdraw the case from the consulate so that it can continue to be processed as AOS instead. After almost a month, this was their response:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding this matter.

As soon as your I-485 petition is approved by DHS, please send us a copy of your approval notice so we can return your case to USCIS to be processed there.

Regards,
OP03"

I'm not sure if they actually meant I-485 *receipt* notice... Since I-485 approval happens after all the processing is done, so what they said doesn't seem to make sense. I guess I'll send them the receipt notice just in case.

Just sharing my experience.

It should be I-797 approval action notice.

As you applied the second petition to USCIS, due to only one IV case allowed, so the Consulate will cancel your DS-260 and return the case to USCIS. Fiy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.