rodrigomarie

How to E-FILE taxes with my spouse (nonresident alien, no SSN, no ITIN)

6 posts in this topic

Hi folks, I have had bad experience with mailing my taxes last year because I could not e-file. I'm filing married filing separately and I'm trying to avoid mailing my taxes.

i'm getting so many mixed reviews about the subject.

Some people say, they did e-file.

Some people say, they could only file by mail.

Some people say, even if I try to e-file, my return can be rejected.

I live outside of the country so I cannot afford rejection(its hard to track mail, and time lose)

Is there a method/software/company(like hrblock) that I can e-file my taxes when my spouse is aborad, non resident alien, has no ssn or income)?

Turbotax doesn't work. It is forcing me to mail again this year. Does HRBLOCK handle this if I visit their office?

Does anyone successfully E-FILE tax return with NRA spouse? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
54 minutes ago, rodrigomarie said:

Hi folks, I have had bad experience with mailing my taxes last year because I could not e-file. I'm filing married filing separately and I'm trying to avoid mailing my taxes.

I live outside of the country so I cannot afford rejection(its hard to track mail, and time lose)

Is there a method/software/company(like hrblock) that I can e-file my taxes when my spouse is aborad, non resident alien, has no ssn or income)?

Turbotax doesn't work. It is forcing me to mail again this year. Does HRBLOCK handle this if I visit their office?

If your spouse has no income, why would you want to file as married filing seperately, instead of jointly? You'll end up paying a lot more taxes in most cases if you do that

1 hour ago, rodrigomarie said:

We tried for several years to E file but no dice. 
was told tax slayer allowed you to e file (it doesn’t)… was told if you reported at least $1 in earnings (via 1099 int) you could efile… we tried everything and nothing worked. Best bet would be to hire someone in your country who files taxes for expats..so definitely try HRblock. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

No ,  as u have to provide original supporting evidence to file and u can not do that online when filing as married 

some here have done MFS without SS or ITIN but you do need to file as Married (single or joint)/ joint gives u double the deduction and any foreign income  has a exclusion of $120,000 when using form 2555 if country has tax treaty with the US\\

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/international-businesses/united-states-income-tax-treaties-a-to-z

U r living at present outside the US and any foreign income can not be used for supporting the intending immigrant so may as well fill out the 2555

3 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

No ,  as u have to provide original supporting evidence to file and u can not do that online when filing as married 

some here have done MFS without SS or ITIN but you do need to file as Married (single or joint)/ joint gives u double the deduction and any foreign income  has a exclusion of $120,000 when using form 2555 if country has tax treaty with the US\\

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/international-businesses/united-states-income-tax-treaties-a-to-z

U r living at present outside the US and any foreign income can not be used for supporting the intending immigrant so may as well fill out the 2555

5 hours ago, Redro said:

We tried for several years to E file but no dice. 
was told tax slayer allowed you to e file (it doesn’t)… was told if you reported at least $1 in earnings (via 1099 int) you could efile… we tried everything and nothing worked. Best bet would be to hire someone in your country who files taxes for expats..so definitely try HRblock. 

5 hours ago, W199 said:

If your spouse has no income, why would you want to file as married filing seperately, instead of jointly? You'll end up paying a lot more taxes in most cases if you do that

@W199 : I do not want to fil jointly because I need to apply for ITIN for my spouse, it takes time and needs more work. I'm looking for most simplest way plus I can amend it later. 

So I am filing "married filing separately" 

@JeanneAdil and @Redro I am sorry about confusion. I just moved out of the usa(last week).

I lived and worked in the USA entire year of 2023. And this is my taxes for 2023 which I lived and worked in the USA. I do not have foreign income. I only have US based income.

I heard taxAct allows you to e-file without spouse' ssn. I filled everything on taxAct and so far it did accept everything. It looks like people e-filed in my situation with them.

If I attempt to e-file it with that software, is it illegal or wrong?

Am I legally not allowed to e-file by IRS or USCIS rule? 

I want to e-file if possible but I don't want to cause issues if it is not legal or incorrect. 

1 hour ago, rodrigomarie said:

@W199 : I do not want to fil jointly because I need to apply for ITIN for my spouse, it takes time and needs more work. I'm looking for most simplest way plus I can amend it later. 

So I am filing "married filing separately" 

@JeanneAdil and @Redro I am sorry about confusion. I just moved out of the usa(last week).

I lived and worked in the USA entire year of 2023. And this is my taxes for 2023 which I lived and worked in the USA. I do not have foreign income. I only have US based income.

I heard taxAct allows you to e-file without spouse' ssn. I filled everything on taxAct and so far it did accept everything. It looks like people e-filed in my situation with them.

If I attempt to e-file it with that software, is it illegal or wrong?

Am I legally not allowed to e-file by IRS or USCIS rule? 

I want to e-file if possible but I don't want to cause issues if it is not legal or incorrect. 

If taxact allows you to efile… do it! Nothing illegal about it, the other software companies are just not great about giving users the ability.

As I mentioned in my previous post if you have US based income you should be able to  file so file away! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.