bluefish72

N400 online questions

14 posts in this topic

I am going to be filing the N400 and was doing the online form, some of these questions may be online form specific so if anyone has done one recently or can share some advice that would be appreciated. 

(I am applying via the 5 year route)

1a- Under past 5yrs work history, for the occupation field it pulls up a list of fields. Should this always just contain the generic field or if I do the paper form can I show my specific title. 

1b- If I have been at the same company for X amount of years but had different titles through promotions should I put each date field from each promotion as its own separate job even though the same company?

1c- If I complete the paper form is the processing time slower than online?

2- For country of citizenship on the online form it allows you to select UK, but for country of birth it allows the option of England or UK. I feel like selecting the latter since my passport is a British passport and the UK is a sovereign state? (Though I may be overthinking this one, but want to keep myself right since it's the citizenship)

3- For USCIS online account number I made a new email account for USCIS and don't have one though I recall my wife having an online account when we filed for K1 but we both cant remember login or if we had a account number, I assume it's fine to select don't have one?

4- For address history if I did as an example 5/5/20 - 6/6/2021 at one residence then did 6/6/2021 - 7/8/2023 at another I get a yellow error saying overlapping dates though our lease did overlap as we moved into a different unit at the same complex.Though would that not be correct as I am leaving one residence on one day and moving into the other the same day? ...should I display it as 5/5/20 -6/5/21 and then 6/6/21 etc so no overlap. 

5- For the 5 year route are tax statements not needed (if you don't owe any money) I was reviewing the guidance on M-477 and it appears to be for those going 3 year route, stayed outside US over 6 months or owe money.
 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/M-477.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwihxZT_5oqFAxWshYkEHeTmCwEQFnoECB0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2LaBKLBIbjREqn-a1VTnah

Thanks

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, OldUser said:

1c - no indication or solid evidence electronic filing is faster than paper filing or vice versa.

Do you know if you file online are you making one payment for both biometrics and form fee?  If I file via paper and use the form formG-1450 for credit card payment do I do two one for the form fee and the other for biometrics or should it be one form with total fee?

Does the online form allow you to include additional blank pages?

Edited by bluefish72

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
15 minutes ago, bluefish72 said:

Do you know if you file online are you making one payment for both biometrics and form fee? 

One payment.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

• Has your spouse ever used a previous legal name?
  • Has your spouse sed any other names since birth (include maiden names)

For the first question should I say yes and list her maiden name and then for the second question above list maiden name again? I know the first question is geared towards those who changed name after birth or may carry another last name from a prior marriage though are they wanting maiden names in there too?

1 hour ago, bluefish72 said:

If you file via paper and attach the G-1450 do you need two separate ones for fee and biometrics fee?

One payment, one form.

Keep in mind, if your bank declines the transaction on credit card, then the packet will be returned to you. It's shocking, but USCIS fees flag as fradulent charges by many banks from time to time.

Edited by OldUser

Posted (edited)

When doing the n400 am I correct in saying that address/jobs/travel need to be listed for the 5 year period from date of filing?

As an example if filing today you can list your job/travel from today going back 5 years which would be to 3/26/19. If I have been at my current company for 5+ years then is that all that should be listed and no prior employers to this employer.

In short you don’t need to list a job or residence if it started in 2017 but ended in 2018 for example as it’s not in the past 5 year period?

On 3/24/2024 at 1:41 AM, OldUser said:

4 - if there was overlap, put actual days you lived at each address. It's not a big deal.

I guess I mean if you physically move out of a residential unit one day and move into a new unit the same day does that mean both would have the same move out and move in date …. OR would the end date of the prior place be considered the night before??

(I know I’m overthinking this) 🫠

Edited by bluefish72

When doing the n400 am I correct in saying that address/jobs/travel need to be listed for the 5 year period from date of filing?

As an example if filing today you can list your job/travel from today going back 5 years which would be to 3/26/19. If I have been at my current company for 5+ years then is that all that should be listed and no prior employers to this employer.

Yes, this is called the statutory period. You'd only list information for the past 5 years. You may be a GC holder for 8, but if applying now, you only list the last 5 years of addresses, trips and employment.

I guess I mean if you physically move out of a residential unit one day and move into a new unit the same day does that mean both would have the same move out and move in date …. OR would the end date of the prior place be considered the night before??

(I know I’m overthinking this) 🫠

Overlap is OK. That's what happened after all.

On 3/24/2024 at 2:30 AM, OldUser said:

5 - tax return statements are worth submitting. You can be asked for them in RFE or at the interview. They demonstrate good moral character. Don't look for the ways to minimize evidence, better build a strong case from the beginning.

I have tax returns statements for the last 3 years from the IRS website but I don't have it for the years prior to that. I have filed taxes every year and have the entire tax returns from years prior (several pages for each return).

What would you say I need to submit with my application for the years i don't have the statements for?

Edited by GreenUS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.