n8lol

US Citizen With No SSN

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

I am a Canadian that is born and living in Canada and I recently obtained my US Passport through Adult transmission (from my mom). I am going to be moving later this year to the US, and I just want to make sure I can get a Social Security Number. Upon looking at the application online for one, I see that they require a US Birth Certificate issued before the age of 5 OR other proofs of Birth such as a CRBA. I am not sure what to do as I don’t have a CRBA or US birth certificate. When I got my US Passport through Adult transmission, they didn’t require a CRBA. Am I able to show up to the Social Security office with just a US passport and my Canadian birth certificate? Or, is there another approach I’d need to take?

Thanks!

What do you mean through adult transmission? 

What documentation did you provide to get US passport?

Based on list here, you should be able to provide your Canadian birth certificate and US passport :

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

Edited by OldUser

Just now, OldUser said:

What do you mean through adult transmission? 

What documentation did you provide to get US passport?

I was born to a US Citizen and since my mom never got me the US passport when I was a kid, I was a first time passport applicant over the age of 18, which is the Adult transmission route. https://nl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/claiming-citizenship-born-outside-united-states/ (I fall under the over age of 18 category on this website)

The documentation the consulate required was proof that my mom was a US Citizen and lived there for 5 years after the age of 14, so she brought her drivers license, medical papers, vaccination records, etc, and the immigration officer said I was “Born a US Citizen” so they issued me a passport.

3 minutes ago, n8lol said:

I was born to a US Citizen and since my mom never got me the US passport when I was a kid, I was a first time passport applicant over the age of 18, which is the Adult transmission route. https://nl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/claiming-citizenship-born-outside-united-states/ (I fall under the over age of 18 category on this website)

The documentation the consulate required was proof that my mom was a US Citizen and lived there for 5 years after the age of 14, so she brought her drivers license, medical papers, vaccination records, etc, and the immigration officer said I was “Born a US Citizen” so they issued me a passport.

US passport and birth certificate is what you need to get SSN.

1 minute ago, OldUser said:

US passport and birth certificate is what you need to get SSN.

Thanks! For the birth certificate, I only have my Canadian birth certificate which I don’t think would work. So if I were to need a US Birth certificate, I’d need to get a CRBA but I don’t think thats possible as the US government website states, “CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday” https://ca.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/ . This is where I’m confused and not sure how to proceed.

2 minutes ago, n8lol said:

Thanks! For the birth certificate, I only have my Canadian birth certificate which I don’t think would work. 

What makes you think it won't work?

Did you click the link I provided?

When you select:

An Adult

Original

Foreign Born US Citizen

It lists all the documents accepted. Among them US passport and foreign birth certificate. 

2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

What makes you think it won't work?

Did you click the link I provided?

When you select:

An Adult

Original

Foreign Born US Citizen

It lists all the documents accepted. Among them US passport and foreign birth certificate. 

Thank you!!! That clears up my confusion I see on the link you sent that it does say foreign birth certificate which is reassuring(I was clicking Born US Citizen by mistake lol).

Once again thanks :)

1 minute ago, n8lol said:

Thank you!!! That clears up my confusion I see on the link you sent that it does say foreign birth certificate which is reassuring(I was clicking Born US Citizen by mistake lol).

Once again thanks :)

Good luck! I think it's worth investigating how to obtain US citizenship certificate. You never know when you can get asked for that in the future. It's much more solid proof for some things, especially if your mother loses her documentation proving how you are a citizen. Or when she passes away and you won't get all the papers. Technically, any time in the future, like 30 years later you may be asked to reprove how you are a US citizen when renewing passport. At that point you'd have to find the same docs your mother used to get you a passport OR just show the citizenship certificate. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.