ann2023

Print out of Summary of care from GP

13 posts in this topic

Hi UK forum, 

I requested for a print out of summary of care records from the GP on feb 13, they said it would take 4-6 weeks. I rang today to see if it would be posted to me or do i collect it? the receptionist said they have a backlog as their printer Is not working and do not know when it will be repaired. I asked them if they could email me and I could print it out they said they cannot do that as it is a huge file. It made me so anxious that what do i say at the medicals ‘ sorry i dnt have the care record from GP coz their printer was not working??!!!’

I rang them again it’s feels like they dnt have any idea of what i need , i explained again- the receptionist said this is not important to them as they have a lot of pts with illness that needs drs input. 

How do i navigate this? What do i do? Do i have to pay for this? No where in the website it says it requires a fee. I would pay if thats what it is.  I just want to cry

Has some one been in this situation? How long did it take to receive the print out? Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Dropbox?

A huge file I find that very unlikely. How many GB?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Dropbox?

A huge file I find that very unlikely. How many GB?

Idk the reception did not have any idea! They asked me to put a complaint in!

Timeline

I would be in there everyday and making a big fuss.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, ann2023 said:

Hi UK forum, 

I requested for a print out of summary of care records from the GP on feb 13, they said it would take 4-6 weeks. I rang today to see if it would be posted to me or do i collect it? the receptionist said they have a backlog as their printer Is not working and do not know when it will be repaired. I asked them if they could email me and I could print it out they said they cannot do that as it is a huge file. It made me so anxious that what do i say at the medicals ‘ sorry i dnt have the care record from GP coz their printer was not working??!!!’

I rang them again it’s feels like they dnt have any idea of what i need , i explained again- the receptionist said this is not important to them as they have a lot of pts with illness that needs drs input. 

How do i navigate this? What do i do? Do i have to pay for this? No where in the website it says it requires a fee. I would pay if thats what it is.  I just want to cry

Has some one been in this situation? How long did it take to receive the print out? Thanks.

I really feel for you - I had a similar issue with delays getting a letter (that I paid £30 for) from my GP. You won’t have to pay for the patient care summary though - it should be free and it’s a request for your personal information. 

It’s unacceptable that they won’t provide you with a summary because of a broken printer. 4-6 weeks is also ridiculous. 

I resolved my issue by calling my GP and dropping in every day to see if they had progressed. Most of the staff were on my side but the manager was a ‘computer says no’ person who seemed to not have a clue what I was going through. 

I think by having other staff on my side, they were able to go around her and help me push it through a bit quicker.

You can call Visa Medicals in London and they might be able to guide you on what to do. They were really helpful for me. It’s better to give them a heads up about what you might have missing on the appointment date - you can potentially email it through to them afterwards. 

Other than that, I had to let it go a bit and resolve that my life was in this ignorant person’s hands and worrying about it was only hurting me. It will be alright in the end.

If worse comes to worse, are you in a position where you could change the visa medical appointment date? I changed mine a couple of times with no negative consequences for my application. 

Timeline

I am sure they need a printer so I am not buying that and I am also sure they could get a replacement that day, maybe a couple of they want a specific one.

I might take my printer in if they kept that up....

Edited by Boiler

Just get Patient Access and then you can download and print your own record. Contacted the GP surgery about three months ago in anticipation of the eventual medical. It had taken them about a week to grant access and notify us. With access you are in control to view and print in your own home, otherwise you’re at the mercy of others.

4-6 weeks?! That’s ridiculous, mine was emailed to me within minutes of asking and was a tiny file. Sounds to me like she thinks you want your entire medical record rather than the summary (which should be a 2-4 page PDF!). 

And as said above it’s a standard summary you have access to if your GP isn’t understanding. 

Edited by appleblossom

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 3/9/2024 at 9:11 AM, Tesco said:

Just get Patient Access and then you can download and print your own record. Contacted the GP surgery about three months ago in anticipation of the eventual medical. It had taken them about a week to grant access and notify us. With access you are in control to view and print in your own home, otherwise you’re at the mercy of others.

Did you have to specify Patient Access with your surgery? I went to mine yesterday to gain access to my records, which I can already access via their website and the NHS app/site, but Patient Access isn't showing an option to view my record. Is there an additional step I need to take or did my surgery miss my request for access specifically on Patient Access?

[I-129F to K1]   

I-129F Sent: 2024-03-30    

I-129F NOA1 (Text): 2024-04-17  

I-129F NOA1 (Mail): 2024-04-27    

Estimated NOA2: September 2024 🤞

Just now, smilingstone said:

Did you have to specify Patient Access with your surgery? I went to mine yesterday to gain access to my records, which I can already access via their website and the NHS app/site, but Patient Access isn't showing an option to view my record. Is there an additional step I need to take or did my surgery miss my request for access specifically on Patient Access?

Even tho we have patient access not everything is available to patients. I have finally received the patient summary from my GP after countless emails and calls. The lady at the GP did it in a second and emailed it to me whilst i was on the call. You have to speak to the right person who deals with such tasks, ask specifically for patient summary and keep chasing essentially. It’s tiresome for both parties but sadly thats the way.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 minutes ago, ann2023 said:

Even tho we have patient access not everything is available to patients. I have finally received the patient summary from my GP after countless emails and calls. The lady at the GP did it in a second and emailed it to me whilst i was on the call. You have to speak to the right person who deals with such tasks, ask specifically for patient summary and keep chasing essentially. It’s tiresome for both parties but sadly thats the way.

Thanks for a quick reply!

I'm a little confused as to what the patient summary looks like. I can access a "Summary Patient Record" via my surgery's website that shows the following info:

• Allergies and Sensitivities
  • Acute Medication (issued in the last 12 months)
  • Current Repeat Medication
  • Past Repeat Medication (discontinued in the last 6 months

My "Patient Record" only shows events (appointments, consultations, etc) going back to Dec 2023. I'm unsure what sort of timeframe the medical exam requires for your medical history?

[I-129F to K1]   

I-129F Sent: 2024-03-30    

I-129F NOA1 (Text): 2024-04-17  

I-129F NOA1 (Mail): 2024-04-27    

Estimated NOA2: September 2024 🤞

1 minute ago, smilingstone said:
  • Allergies and Sensitivities
  • Acute Medication (issued in the last 12 months)
  • Current Repeat Medication
  • Past Repeat Medication (discontinued in the last 6 months

It’s a summary of your health history including immunisations all the others listed. I am unsure about the time frame as in how far shud it go back! M hoping some one else can respond. 

Patient Access was an App already installed, but also there is a website too. Initially it showed very little until we asked GP Reception to grant FULL medical record access. After a week it was done and all consultations going back many years then showed up. Current and past medication and the all important summery record. There is also the NHS App, although in our case Patent Access worked. You can download and print the summery along with medications to include any major or on-going health issues. Some GP Surgeries can give you a hard time, but ultimately they have a legal duty to provide access, albeit in certain limited circumstances it can be denied. Once access is granted there is no expiration.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.