quistarrok

K4: Green Card for Sister and Her Family

23 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, quistarrok said:

Thank you. I am sponsoring not a spouse but sister and parents. So wondering what form do I need to file for them to “adjust the status” if they do consular processing. 

If you were in the US and applied for your green card via AOS, then forget everything you did! It’s a completely different process for consular processing. There is no adjustment of status for them as they’re applying from outside the US. 

This step by step guide I found really useful - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition.html

The only difference for your parents versus your sister will be the wait. As you say, your parents are immediate relatives, so no wait for them, versus many years for your sister. 

Good luck. 

Filed: Other Timeline
10 hours ago, appleblossom said:

If you were in the US and applied for your green card via AOS, then forget everything you did! It’s a completely different process for consular processing. There is no adjustment of status for them as they’re applying from outside the US. 

This step by step guide I found really useful - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition.html

The only difference for your parents versus your sister will be the wait. As you say, your parents are immediate relatives, so no wait for them, versus many years for your sister. 

Good luck. 

Thank you. Silly question, but my sister is a citizen of S. Korea. She does not need a visa to come to the US for up to 3 months. If I apply for an I-130 for her, are there any restrictions for her to come to the US while her case is pending?

Just now, quistarrok said:

Thank you. Silly question, but my sister is a citizen of S. Korea. She does not need a visa to come to the US for up to 3 months. If I apply for an I-130 for her, are there any restrictions for her to come to the US while her case is pending?

No, she can always try and visit - just remember that she's not guaranteed entry at any point. She can maximise her chances by bringing plenty of proof of ties to South Korea with her, and making short occasional visits only. 

44 minutes ago, quistarrok said:

Make sure she realizes that in this situation, there will be no path for her to adjust status while visiting.  The sibling category is numerically limited, and her wait time will be around 25 years.

1 hour ago, appleblossom said:

No, she can always try and visit - just remember that she's not guaranteed entry at any point. She can maximise her chances by bringing plenty of proof of ties to South Korea with her, and making short occasional visits only. 

Thank you. What is the current time it takes for parents of US citizen to get green card if I apply for them  today?

Just now, quistarrok said:

Thank you. What is the current time it takes for parents of US citizen to get green card if I apply for them  today?

Depends on the consulate they'll be applying through as the wait time for an interview can vary between 2-3 months and 2 yrs or more. But figure approx 18 months in total for most consulates.

5 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

Depends on the consulate they'll be applying through as the wait time for an interview can vary between 2-3 months and 2 yrs or more. But figure approx 18 months in total for most consulates.

Thank you. What I am still confused is what are other forms I or beneficiaries need to fill out/sign aside from I-130? The same question about additional fees (besides $535 for I-130)?

9 minutes ago, quistarrok said:

Thank you. What I am still confused is what are other forms I or beneficiaries need to fill out/sign aside from I-130? The same question about additional fees (besides $535 for I-130)?

Follow the links already given to you in this thread - the guide on this website, and the website I linked to. Both of those give you step by step instructions and info on the whole process. As well as the guide to sibling sponsorship that @Dashinka gave you above, there is one for parent sponsorship too (link at top of page that says 'guides'). 

Good luck. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.