5 posts in this topic

Hey,

A couple years ago I was feeling down when I came back home from Australia and was separated from my partner, went GP and they prescribed me seraltine. It didn't last long, probably less than 6 weeks I think it was without finishing the seraltine. It does not say anything on my patient care summary anything about it either. But to be safe for the medical exam, should I say yes to having depression before still and then requesting a letter from my GP saying I am no threat to myself or others? I've never self harmed or harmed others either. Any advice would be really appreciated, thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My philosophy is it's better safe than sorry. It's much easier to just being forthcoming and not have to worry about withholding any information, saying the right things, etc. Not only is it easier, but more importantly, we're legally obligated to give truthful responses.

My fiance is in the same situation. Struggled with depression during a bad time in his life, was diagnosed by a GP, but never pursued medication/etc, has never self-harmed, does not want to harm others, etc. He's requested a letter from his GP stating he's not a threat to himself or others and it has all been a very easy process, I think it cost him 30 pounds. 

1 hour ago, alliejourney said:

My philosophy is it's better safe than sorry. It's much easier to just being forthcoming and not have to worry about withholding any information, saying the right things, etc. Not only is it easier, but more importantly, we're legally obligated to give truthful responses.

My fiance is in the same situation. Struggled with depression during a bad time in his life, was diagnosed by a GP, but never pursued medication/etc, has never self-harmed, does not want to harm others, etc. He's requested a letter from his GP stating he's not a threat to himself or others and it has all been a very easy process, I think it cost him 30 pounds. 

I realised after it does say mixed anxiety and depressive disorder so I'm going to go ahead and ask for a letter, hoping my GP will do it but they are a nightmare. Was such a short amount of time will be gutted if this causes issues, but hoping because the reason was blatant and I e never self harmed or others a letter will suffice. Thank you for your response too, have read how a lot of people go through it similarly as well 

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm going through the same thing at the minute. Brief history of visiting my GP for low mood in 2018. I did have a round of therapy and I was on anti-depressants for 2 months (also didn't finish the course). There is nothing on my Patient Summary at all in reference to it. I do want to disclose but I am worried that if I do, they're going to request more information that I just simply do not have. I do have a letter from my GP and I am also booked in to see a psychologist for an additional report on my MH. This has been eating me alive with stress!

Have you had your medical yet? How did it go? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.