wayno

wife failed N-400 interview

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello, Me and my wife were 150% sure and confident that this morning she would walk out of the USCIS office as a "Gringa". But instead, she walked out upset, with the notice that she failed.

Of course, USCIS is very hard to get hold of anybody and when I finally did (by saying "infopass" as I read on here as a way to get a person), they were absolutely no help in stating what she needed to do.

Here is the breakdown. 

The first box is marked X ; "You passed the English test and the U.S. History and government test.

Sounds good as she passed the civics as well as the reading and writing.

The next box marked X is the one stating: "You will have another opportunity to be tested on your ability to" ..........."Understand English". The understand English box was marked X.

Boxes for Speak, Read, Write were left blank as she passed those.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Then the last box marked with an X is the one stating: "A decision cannot be made yet about your application."

OK! So, any idea what she would be retested on? Afterall, the box is marked X that she had passed the English and the civics test.

It seems, on here repeating questions from the I-400 she stumbled on her phone number. She, like many of us in the modern world, couldn't remember it and she left her phone in the truck with me so a ringing would not distract. But she did state the area code which I would think should show the agent that she understood the question, just couldn't remember the actual number. 

Another fumble, I think, was that she understood the agent asking, "where in 5 years" (I'm sure that's not how it was asked). And my wife replied "Colombia." 

In reality, she had been out 9 times (on application), plus a 10th time in which she just got back. 6 times to Colombia and 3 to Mexico.

Other questions she repeated to me she answered correctly. Date of birth? Where born? Payed taxes? Address?

Do you think I'm right in that she should spend the next month or two studying the I-400? Or do they do the whole test over?

A bit upset as I don't see how she could have failed when it is marked that she passed. If she couldn't understand English, how did she answer correctly questions 1,2,3,4,5,6 and write a sentence correctly and read one correctly?

Just a bit frazzled right now. Any advice would be appreciated as those at USCIS aren't much help! That computer doesn't know squat!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How is her English? Does she live her life in English or Spanish?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.