apgk

International Freight shipping services in Russia

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Since fiancee would be travelling to US alone and dont want to carry too much luggage by herself, so we are thinking

of using some freight transfer services to get the luggage here. Its about 100lbs. Any experience with any such service for getting the shipments in US?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
of using some freight transfer services to get the luggage here. Its about 100lbs. Any experience with any such service for getting the shipments in US?

I've done this from Europe, it was crazy expensive. Best deal will probably be talking to the freight department of the airline (they all have air frieght divisions).

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

I would also suggest doing your best to minimize her baggage to what she can carry. What does she really need to bring with her?

Maybe she wants to ship some books, clothes, etc., but it's probably going to be cheaper (and easier) to purchase that stuff again when she gets here. I would encourage her to pick her most sentimental things and pack those in her checked baggage, and if she really needs more clothing or whatever, mail it to you here ahead of time. That will save you money and time... and her back!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
I would also suggest doing your best to minimize her baggage to what she can carry. What does she really need to bring with her?

Maybe she wants to ship some books, clothes, etc., but it's probably going to be cheaper (and easier) to purchase that stuff again when she gets here. I would encourage her to pick her most sentimental things and pack those in her checked baggage, and if she really needs more clothing or whatever, mail it to you here ahead of time. That will save you money and time... and her back!

thanks Slim. You mean mail in packages using usual postal service?

My wife brought her most important stuff with her and bought a lot of new stuff once she arrived, it was far simpler and we figured on packing 2 bags on our next trip with lots of room so we can pick up a few more items.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Yes. Have her pack her bags that she's bringing with her with things like the clothes she'll need for everyday use and some personal effects like pictures, a few small books, jewelry, or even things like her hair-ties, brushes, etc. ("girly stuff) and then divide the rest of her stuff up into things she absolutely needs and things she can do without.

The things she can do without, she should "present" to friends/family as going away gifts and of the absoulutely necessary stuff, anything that can be purchased here, like cosmetics, clothing, etc., should be also given away. Anything left that she would like to keep can be put in big boxes and mailed over prior to her departure. She can send the stuff through the post office several weeks before she goes and by the time she arrives, it should already be here waiting for her!

I think if you really look at what's necessary though, there's not too much she needs to bring with her that she can't re-acquire here. Help her with that. Let her know she doesn't need to bring her 12 pairs of "fashionable" boots. My wife had one bag of clothes, make-up and books, and one bag of shoes/boots. What did we buy when she got here? More make-up and shoes!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Yes. Have her pack her bags that she's bringing with her with things like the clothes she'll need for everyday use and some personal effects like pictures, a few small books, jewelry, or even things like her hair-ties, brushes, etc. ("girly stuff) and then divide the rest of her stuff up into things she absolutely needs and things she can do without.

The things she can do without, she should "present" to friends/family as going away gifts and of the absoulutely necessary stuff, anything that can be purchased here, like cosmetics, clothing, etc., should be also given away. Anything left that she would like to keep can be put in big boxes and mailed over prior to her departure. She can send the stuff through the post office several weeks before she goes and by the time she arrives, it should already be here waiting for her!

I think if you really look at what's necessary though, there's not too much she needs to bring with her that she can't re-acquire here. Help her with that. Let her know she doesn't need to bring her 12 pairs of "fashionable" boots. My wife had one bag of clothes, make-up and books, and one bag of shoes/boots. What did we buy when she got here? More make-up and shoes!

We have acutally sent 3 packages back to russia with gifts and other presents. We have also received 2 packages from russia. We wire money to Elena's parents and they send stuff, it takes awhile but it works ok.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Since fiancee would be travelling to US alone and dont want to carry too much luggage by herself, so we are thinking

Remember, she is still your fiancee, and you should be taking the entire 3 months to make sure, IMHO.

Why so much stuff? She can always send for it later, or bring things back in drib-drabs during future trips.

Timeline

Remember, she is still your fiancee, and you should be taking the entire 3 months to make sure, IMHO.

I know her for more then 2 years

Timeline

That is not true at all. They call it a fiancee visa not a "get to know her to decide if you might want to marry her" visa. You are supposed to be totally SURE before you do a K-1 visa. Read the govenment description of a K-1 and it is to give you time to plan and carry out your marriage.

As soon as my fiancee gets over the jet lag we start planning.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline

Am I understanding this correct; she is not going to take advantage of bringing as much as she can in checked baggage?

Maybe she is under the impression she will be dragging it every where she goes during her flight?

For the cost of a small (or even large) tip the taxi driver will bring the bag into the airport to be checked and she will not see it again until she lands.

Almost all luggage has wheels now, it would seem that little bit of effort would save a lot of shipping fees and that hassle. I think the airports still have those little carts as well for rent.

The last box I sent was maybe a little bigger than a shoe box and I think it cost like 50 bucks, I cant imagine what a 50 pound suite case would cost to ship.

Funny thing was, My fiance suggested the same thing when we discussed what she wanted to bring.

I told her, I would bring her a suite case with wheels on it on my upcoming trip and leave it with her, If there is anything she wants to bring when she comes, she better put it in the suite case and bring it.

After I explained how much it would cost to ship that same suitecase, she saw the logic of bringing what she could even if she did have to roll it a little bit.

Fortunately she is a even bigger tight wade than me. I sent her a visa card over to help pay for her english lessons and internet card. So far she has only used it once... she took out 2 dollars!

After I explained it probably cost me $5 dollars for her to get the $2 dollars, she said

"why you did not tell me!"

A: "because I had no idea you would only take out $2.

(shrugs)

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Although I agree it's not a "trial period" I do encourage all to take as long as possible, especially in the "met once in Moscow" cases.

I knew my wife for like six years before she got here, and it still was a "trial period" after her arrival.... still is today! It takes years and years of cohabitating to really get to know someone, so the longer the better, I believe.

Русский форум член.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Remember, she is still your fiancée, and you should be taking the entire 3 months to make sure, IMHO.
That is not true at all. They call it a fiancée visa not a "get to know her to decide if you might want to marry her" visa. You are supposed to be totally SURE before you do a K-1 visa.
If the issuance of a K1 mandate marriage I think such a policy would be void for public policy reasons and run afoul of violating your due process liberties of choosing "when" to marry.

Considering that tourist visas are so hard to get and the K1 takes so long, I see some justice in violating the K1 and using it as a trial period. Just don't go parading that to anyone. {Opinion} Very bad advice.

Although I agree it's not a "trial period" I do encourage all to take as long as possible, especially in the "met once in Moscow" cases.

I knew my wife for like six years before she got here, and it still was a "trial period" after her arrival.... still is today! It takes years and years of cohabitation to really get to know someone, so the longer the better, I believe.

I agree. If if was all so 100% certain, USCIS wouldn't be giving out conditional green cards right?

And it seems like every 3rd or 4th person in the Russian form screams "I've been scammed" after going through such a certain K1 marriage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.