8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

My green card expired in 3/2023, I filed I-90 to renew in 10/2022 in USCIS's website

until now I still haven't received my new green card. Instead they gave me a letter I-797, it said it extends my green card for 24 months...

But still.... I has been over 450 days since I filed I-90.

USCIS website shows that process time of green card 10 year renewal is about 9 months... and replacing green card is 28.5 months

I called USCIS, the automated message just read out the status on USCIS's webpage... It is impossible to talk to agent thru the USCIS contact center. 

If i say "talk to agent", the robot will say "if you insist to talk agent, I will have to release the call"

So what can I do? is anyone waiting that long?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, OldUser said:

Are you a permanent resident with 10 year GC that's expired?

It seems so, on the basis of post history.

Thread is moved to the General Immigration Discussion forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I can't submit inquiry. It said it is still under normal processing time.

Yes I plan to naturalize. I had green card in 1992, but i left US in 2002. Then i came back to US in 05/2019. So I can apply for naturalization in 5/2025, which is a few months away...

I have NOT moved since i filed I-90.

9 hours ago, fkie4 said:

I can't submit inquiry. It said it is still under normal processing time.

Yes I plan to naturalize. I had green card in 1992, but i left US in 2002. Then i came back to US in 05/2019. So I can apply for naturalization in 5/2025, which is a few months away...

I have NOT moved since i filed I-90.

The timeline seems is a bit off. E.g. if you came back if 2019, how did you have a GC expiring in 2023? It should have been issued in 2013, which is 11 years after you left the US in 2002.

Anyways...

The worst case, when the extension letter is about to expire, if you still don't have new GC, you can schedule infopass appointment and get a I-551 stamp in your passport that would work in place of GC. Just make sure your passport is valid, and start renewing when you have 1 year left on it. 1 year of stamp should (in theory) be enough to cover the period of time while you're naturalizing.

36 minutes ago, fkie4 said:

I actually got my green card way before 2019...

But i want to know why it takes SO long to renew... I thought it is like half year...

Does very green card holder experiencing the same? taking over a year to renew?

Not everybody experiences this. Some get it renewed very quickly, others have long delay like yours.

But... How did you renew it last time? You said you were out of the US between 2002 and 2019. GC is only valid for 10 years nowadays, meaning you should have renewed it around 2013 if it expired in 2023. As far as I know, I-90 can only be filed in the US?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.