SnowColdIce

CR1 I-130 When did your beneficiary's last marriage end?

9 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hello Everyone,

My wife has been married 2 times in total (1 with me now + 1 past spouse). So I put 2 on the question "How many times has your beneficiary been married?"

In the Form I-130 online, on Beneficiary's Family -> Current Spouse I put myself as the information for the current spouse as well as when and where did the beneficiary marry the current spouse (me).

However, there is a question that says "When did your beneficiary's last marriage end?", I understand "last" as the previous marriage my wife had, and I put the date that marriage ended. However, she thinks it can also refer to her latest one which is with me, in that case, it should be empty.

The next page says "Beneficiary's prior marriages" where I listed her past marriage and also when it ended. So it might also be redundant I put that same date on "When did your beneficiary's last marriage end?". I used to be somewhat sure of my answer as I thought it was referring "last" as being the previous one (before me). But now I must admit I am confused and doubting my answer.

So what is the proper answer to that question on Beneficiary's Family -> Current Spouse -> When did your beneficiary's last marriage end?

Also nowhere in the form it has asked me to submit divorce evidence like a divorce certificate. Is that normal?

Thanks to all in advance. I have the rest of the form ready and planning to submit it today. Just this doubt now came up while we were reviewing together.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, SnowColdIce said:

Hello Everyone,

My wife has been married 2 times in total (1 with me now + 1 past spouse). So I put 2 on the question "How many times has your beneficiary been married?"

In the Form I-130 online, on Beneficiary's Family -> Current Spouse I put myself as the information for the current spouse as well as when and where did the beneficiary marry the current spouse (me).

However, there is a question that says "When did your beneficiary's last marriage end?", I understand "last" as the previous marriage my wife had, and I put the date that marriage ended. However, she thinks it can also refer to her latest one which is with me, in that case, it should be empty.

The next page says "Beneficiary's prior marriages" where I listed her past marriage and also when it ended. So it might also be redundant I put that same date on "When did your beneficiary's last marriage end?". I used to be somewhat sure of my answer as I thought it was referring "last" as being the previous one (before me). But now I must admit I am confused and doubting my answer.

So what is the proper answer to that question on Beneficiary's Family -> Current Spouse -> When did your beneficiary's last marriage end?

Also nowhere in the form it has asked me to submit divorce evidence like a divorce certificate. Is that normal?

Thanks to all in advance. I have the rest of the form ready and planning to submit it today. Just this doubt now came up while we were reviewing together.

Leave the first marriage end date blank.  The form doesn't tell you what to submit with it.  It's the instructions that tell you what supporting documentation to submit.  It clearly tells you based on what category or relative you are filing for.  Study those instructions again and you'll find a photocopy of a certified copy of EACH divorce decree is needed for EACH of you.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

@IWander @pushbrk I understand what you folks are saying. However, I don't know if you have filled the form Online. But many things from the instructions page don't even match. Like for example they say to upload a divorce certificate if applicable, but in the Online Form, there is nowhere to upload that info at all. There are only a few places where it is allowed to upload documents, and none of them refers to this at all.

Timeline
On 12/19/2023 at 10:17 AM, SnowColdIce said:

@IWander @pushbrk I understand what you folks are saying. However, I don't know if you have filled the form Online. But many things from the instructions page don't even match. Like for example they say to upload a divorce certificate if applicable, but in the Online Form, there is nowhere to upload that info at all. There are only a few places where it is allowed to upload documents, and none of them refers to this at all.

When you reach the end of the form, before submitting, you will see the way to upload the required I-134a, and other supporting documents.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

With all due respect @pushbrk that is not correct. Have you logged in and done the form on the USCIS website? The form online is quite different from the instructions. The general requirements are the same, but the order and the way they ask it is much simpler. In fact, you can download the form online into a PDF version of what the paper I-130 would be, and you can see how some things struggle to fit and are even on their own blank pages because they do not belong anywhere on the paper form or they simply don't match well.

The I-134A is not a form that is submitted on the I-130 Application. The only additional form submitted is the I-130A. The Additional Evidence is submitted in its own section regarding "Proof of Bona Fide Marriage". Each section has its own place for uploading information. Example Proof of Marriage is where you upload your Marriage Certificates.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, SnowColdIce said:

With all due respect @pushbrk that is not correct. Have you logged in and done the form on the USCIS website? The form online is quite different from the instructions. The general requirements are the same, but the order and the way they ask it is much simpler. In fact, you can download the form online into a PDF version of what the paper I-130 would be, and you can see how some things struggle to fit and are even on their own blank pages because they do not belong anywhere on the paper form or they simply don't match well.

The I-134A is not a form that is submitted on the I-130 Application. The only additional form submitted is the I-130A. The Additional Evidence is submitted in its own section regarding "Proof of Bona Fide Marriage". Each section has its own place for uploading information. Example Proof of Marriage is where you upload your Marriage Certificates.

Sorry for the typo.  I-130a is what I meant.  If there is not a separate section for uploading proof of prior marriages ending, upload it in the marriage certificate section.  It.....IS....required.  I understand there are entry glitches, which is why I still recommend filing by mail.  To each their own.  If you cannot leave the current marriage end date blank, but the current date in there.  They are aware of the issue.  Count on it.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
48 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Sorry for the typo.  I-130a is what I meant.  If there is not a separate section for uploading proof of prior marriages ending, upload it in the marriage certificate section.  It.....IS....required.  I understand there are entry glitches, which is why I still recommend filing by mail.  To each their own.  If you cannot leave the current marriage end date blank, but the current date in there.  They are aware of the issue.  Count on it.

Thanks! I had a feeling it was a typo no worries. I submitted everything today and did exactly as you said right now. I put the original and translated divorce certificates in the Proof of Marriage section and added Notes in the Additional Details referencing those documents. I also left the "When did your beneficiary's last marriage end?" blank because in the paper form that question is actually the "Date Marriage Ended" of Spouse 1 (which would be me because it's most recent).

A huge glitch I did notice is that if I logged out and back in, sometimes some document uploads would just disappear from their section and I had to upload them again. However, today when I paid and submitted, many of those documents that I thought disappeared were actually still there in the documents uploaded section of the case in the homepage, so now they have 4 copies of the same document for something like "Information about the Beneficiary in their Native Language". Also some documents I deleted from the form still stayed in the documents uploaded section of the case in the homepage. So they certainly have some issues there it seems. I hope it doesn't trigger an RFE considering I put all evidence I had there very well organized in PDFs.

Timeline
2 hours ago, SnowColdIce said:

Thanks! I had a feeling it was a typo no worries. I submitted everything today and did exactly as you said right now. I put the original and translated divorce certificates in the Proof of Marriage section and added Notes in the Additional Details referencing those documents. I also left the "When did your beneficiary's last marriage end?" blank because in the paper form that question is actually the "Date Marriage Ended" of Spouse 1 (which would be me because it's most recent).

A huge glitch I did notice is that if I logged out and back in, sometimes some document uploads would just disappear from their section and I had to upload them again. However, today when I paid and submitted, many of those documents that I thought disappeared were actually still there in the documents uploaded section of the case in the homepage, so now they have 4 copies of the same document for something like "Information about the Beneficiary in their Native Language". Also some documents I deleted from the form still stayed in the documents uploaded section of the case in the homepage. So they certainly have some issues there it seems. I hope it doesn't trigger an RFE considering I put all evidence I had there very well organized in PDFs.

Yes, it's glitchy but it does work.  That date is not always going to be blank.  The form is not just for the petitioner's spouse.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.