Duke

Hot Button Issues

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

My fiance and I were engaged on Feb 1st and filed our K1 fiance visa application a few weeks later. Our goal was to have a church wedding in April, spend the next 3 months together in the USA while her visa was being processed, and then have her fly home in July just in time to pickup her visa and return to the USA. Unfortunately, we were using the dreaded CSC ... not the lovely VSC.

Our plans also included a few hot-button issues on this board, namely (a) having a religious ceremony while a K1 application is pending, and (b) entering the USA on the 90-day Visa Waiver Program (VWP) while an application is pending.

We received negative feedback that our plans were "too ambitious", "too risky", that we needed to "wait" and "be patient".

I found the negative feedback interesting, as if we were all going to to everything 100% proper (and take no risks) we would all have hired immigration attorneys and turned our applications over to them. The mere fact that we're going the "Visa Journey" route, and doing it ourselves, involves a certain degree of risk.

I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, however, the following is what we learned from what actually transpired:

* You CAN have a "religious" wedding ceremony prior to receiving your K1 Fiance Visa. I know this is a real hot-button issue ... and everyone seems to have an opinion ... but this is our experience, not our opinion.

* You CAN enter the USA on the 90-day Visa Waiver Program (VWP) while your Fiance Visa application is pending (this is another hot-button issue.) My fiance simply stated that she was visiting her boyfriend/fiance. Since it was her 3rd trip under the VWP in six months, they did ask for proof of ties to Australia, but the whole process only took a few minutes.

The following was our experience in AUSTRALIA ... although it may apply to other countries, as well:

* You CAN get your medical exam before receiving your Packet-3. My fiance did her medical exam 5 months in advance. Obviously, she did not have a case# assigned yet, so the doctor was kind enough to leave the case# blank and hold onto the exam report for 5 months.

* You CAN get your police report done in advance. Once again, my fiance did hers 5 months in advance.

* You can request a speedy interview. My fiance mailed in her "statement of readiness to be interviewed" on a Monday and had her interview conducted 8 days later.

Personal Journey:

Nov 02, 2006 - Met Catherine in Australia in person for 1st time. Stayed 4 days

Nov 19, 2006 - Catherine visited me in USA for 7 days

Jan 20, 2007 - Catherine visited me in USA for 14 days

Feb 01, 2007 - Engaged!

Apr 12, 2007 - Catherine & I met in London to get married

Apr 13, 2007 - Church wedding at Windsor Castle / Honeymooned for a week in Europe

Apr 20, 2007 - Wedding reception & ring ceremony in USA (I forgot the ring on the wedding day)

Jul 18, 2007 - Catherine went back to Australia to get Visa

Jul 31, 2007 - Visa approved!

Aug 04, 2007 - Catherine arrives in USA

Oct 13, 2007 - Legal wedding date

Form I-129F process:

Feb 15, 2007 - I-129F sent to TSC via Priority Mail

Feb 20, 2007 - Application Received by TSC

Feb 26, 2007 - Acknowledgment of receipt by CSC

Feb 27, 2007 - NOA-1 issued by CSC

May 19, 2007 - RFE issued by CSC

May 27, 2007 - Response to RFE sent to CSC via Express Mail

May 29, 2007 - Response to RFE received by CSC

Jun 08, 2007 - Acknowledgment of receipt by CSC

Jun 19, 2007 - NOA-2 approval letter mailed by CSC

Jul 16, 2007 - NVC issues letter confirming receipt from CSC and stating that file will be forwarded to Consulate

Jul 21, 2007 - NVC letter received by me

Jul 23, 2007 - Fiance sends "Statement of Readiness to be Interviewed" to Consulate (with request for quick interview)

Jul 30, 2007 - Packet-3 and Packet-4 received

Jul 30, 2007 - Medical exam results picked up

Jul 31, 2007 - Interview date - APPROVED!

Aug 04, 2007 - Fiance arrives in USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Certainly depends on where your fiance is from. I won't argue about the "religious" wedding, but for many of us our fiance is not eligible to enter the US (no VWP and not able to get visitors visa), not able to do the medical more than a month or even less prior to the interview date, and no such thing as requesting a "speedy" interview. These were all things that were not available to folks like us getting visas out of Russia and many other countries as well.

Looking at your timeline I see you were pretty slick to get "married" in April and have your fiance enter on a K-1 in August.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: Timeline
My fiance and I were engaged on Feb 1st and filed our K1 fiance visa application a few weeks later. Our goal was to have a church wedding in April, spend the next 3 months together in the USA while her visa was being processed, and then have her fly home in July just in time to pickup her visa and return to the USA. Unfortunately, we were using the dreaded CSC ... not the lovely VSC.

Our plans also included a few hot-button issues on this board, namely (a) having a religious ceremony while a K1 application is pending, and (B) entering the USA on the 90-day Visa Waiver Program (VWP) while an application is pending.

We received negative feedback that our plans were "too ambitious", "too risky", that we needed to "wait" and "be patient".

I found the negative feedback interesting, as if we were all going to to everything 100% proper (and take no risks) we would all have hired immigration attorneys and turned our applications over to them. The mere fact that we're going the "Visa Journey" route, and doing it ourselves, involves a certain degree of risk.

I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, however, the following is what we learned from what actually transpired:

* You CAN have a "religious" wedding ceremony prior to receiving your K1 Fiance Visa. I know this is a real hot-button issue ... and everyone seems to have an opinion ... but this is our experience, not our opinion.

* You CAN enter the USA on the 90-day Visa Waiver Program (VWP) while your Fiance Visa application is pending (this is another hot-button issue.) My fiance simply stated that she was visiting her boyfriend/fiance. Since it was her 3rd trip under the VWP in six months, they did ask for proof of ties to Australia, but the whole process only took a few minutes.

The following was our experience in AUSTRALIA ... although it may apply to other countries, as well:

* You CAN get your medical exam before receiving your Packet-3. My fiance did her medical exam 5 months in advance. Obviously, she did not have a case# assigned yet, so the doctor was kind enough to leave the case# blank and hold onto the exam report for 5 months.

* You CAN get your police report done in advance. Once again, my fiance did hers 5 months in advance.

* You can request a speedy interview. My fiance mailed in her "statement of readiness to be interviewed" on a Monday and had her interview conducted 8 days later.

um, no one I know (& trust) on VJ would say any of the above can't be done. Matter of fact the visiting thing is listed in the guides. As if the non-biding ceremony.

I wouldn't say filling out forms & following instructions involves risk, but maybe that's just me....

Edited by devilette

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.