one...two...tree

Country/Regional VJ Ambassadors

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

What if we have appointed VJ Ambassadors for specific regions or countries? People who are uniquely familiar the peculiarities of a specific Embassy, who would be the first person to seek out on questions that are specific to region or country? Also, there certainly could be more than one per country or region.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably already have that for each area. Some people would probably love to be the 'ambassador' while others may not want to commit to the time that could be required. Good idea to present to the site though! :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Other Timeline

OMG.....Ewok is gonna think 'here she goes again'.......lol

I think we could accomplish that by putting Regional Forums where they are appropriate (as Consulate Subforums).

Then dissolve the Regional Forums as they exist (I know unpopular idea) but create a new forum called "Around the World" and let regional discussions occur there naturally.

I wonder where Steven got the VJ Ambassador thing from... Hmmmm!!! Could it be my personal message... No way!!! Nah!!!

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Filed: Timeline
I wonder where Steven got the VJ Ambassador thing from... Hmmmm!!! Could it be my personal message... No way!!! Nah!!!

He suggested something similar last year...can't remember the phrase du jour back then though.

Suprise suprise...I think it's a terrible idea. I know, everyone's shocked ;)

He suggested something similar last year...can't remember the phrase du jour back then though.

I totally agree... Besides, who needs the stress of being an Ambassador? The dahamn moderators get killed for helping to maintain order, let alone if Ambassadors are selected or volunteer per region. Yikes! Not to mention, there are very few folks here on VJ who are lawyers or have worked directly in immigration field. So we are not technically qualified for such a responsibility. Well, at least, I am not. I try to provide some enlightenment, with the guide and to interject when I can, but ultimately the decision/responsibility rests with those who are filing (please read my disclaimer). It would also be a legal nightmare for VJ on several levels. Nice way to brainstorm but this idea is a no go…

Keep the ideas coming because there is another winner in there somewhere.

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Timeline

I totally agree... Besides, who needs the stress of being an Ambassador? The dahamn moderators get killed for helping to maintain order, let alone if Ambassadors are selected or volunteer per region. Yikes! Not to mention, there are very few folks here on VJ who are lawyers or have worked directly in immigration field. So we are not technically qualified for such a responsibility. Well, at least, I am not. I try to provide some enlightenment, with the guide and to interject when I can, but ultimately the decision/responsibility rests with those who are filing (please read my disclaimer). It would also be a legal nightmare for VJ on several levels. Nice way to brainstorm but this idea is a no go…

Keep the ideas coming because there is another winner in there somewhere.

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

All it would mean is that those are the first people that VJ members can refer to with specific questions regarding that country of origin, under the presumption that those who are appointed as ambassadors have demonstrated countless times, their great help to so many other members as well as a better than average knowledge of the process. They would not be expected to have all the answers or that they are the only ones to go to for help. They would not be taking on any moderating. Sheriff, for example, I think you'd make a great Ambassador for the Manila Embassy Forum. John and Marlene would also be a good candidate.

Look, for those of us who've been here awhile, we already have an idea who to ask first on such specific questions, but some of the newer members don't have that luxury.

The problem that I see is that far too many people are giving out bad advice or the wrong information. To a newer member, it's difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff. Again, the Ambassadors would not be expected to have all the answers, but could be expected to conduct themselves in such a way as to not outrightly give wrong information. In other words, they wouldn't let their egos get in the way of admitting that they don't have a good answer but they would do their best to point that member in the right direction. It's really about conduct...setting an example to the newer members so that as those members become more knowledgible (sp), they will mirror that conduct to the newer members as well. :star:

Timeline

...I would add that in the event of a dispute, or where a moderator must step in, there would be more weight given to the Ambassador because of their long standing reputation of how they conduct themselves.

Steven, all the members here can give out advice...and to deem only Ambassadors as being 'the most reliable' does a disservice to the whole community.

If a petitioner decides to go it without the aid of a lawyer, the onus is on that person to check recheck and triple check data.

As far as conduct...everyone here should be held to the same level...not one set of rules for one group, and another for 'everyone else'

I know I'm repeating myself...but I am seriously curious...why all the need for the micromanagement? Steven, you got thru this process so far, I'd say pretty well...without the use of 'Ambassadors' and the like. Give the noobs a bit of credit for being able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

...I would add that in the event of a dispute, or where a moderator must step in, there would be more weight given to the Ambassador because of their long standing reputation of how they conduct themselves.

With the written word, we get the benefit of a written account of what's happened...and the mods don't have to rely on hearsay...rather they can deduce for themselves what went down without being already biased before stepping in.

what you're essentially asking for is favoritism.

...... Give the noobs a bit of credit for being able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Well, with the size of this place anymore, it's probably a lot harder to do that than when I first joined. I spent a few weeks reading before I posted. I looked around at did my own 'separating'.

I guess it depends too on how you 'come' here. I was only researching visa types. Some people are already deep in the process and maybe have a PANIC situation going on. Literally.

BUT.....

I wouldn't want to be labeled 'Ambassador', 'Expert', or any other such designation. People would start asking you stuff you'd not have a clue about. Most of the posters who have been around a while have one or two 'areas of expertise' if you will - mostly by virtue of their personal experience. Learning who those individuals are is, I guess, best determined by reading. Or perhaps other members saying "go ask XYZ - they might have the answer".

New members seem to have a fascination with blue boxes and hearts. Perhaps the best way to help separate 'wheat from chaff' would be for boxes and hearts to not accumulate for posts made in the General Discussion area of the forum.

...... Give the noobs a bit of credit for being able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Well, with the size of this place anymore, it's probably a lot harder to do that than when I first joined. I spent a few weeks reading before I posted. I looked around at did my own 'separating'.

I guess it depends too on how you 'come' here. I was only researching visa types. Some people are already deep in the process and maybe have a PANIC situation going on. Literally.

BUT.....

I wouldn't want to be labeled 'Ambassador', 'Expert', or any other such designation. People would start asking you stuff you'd not have a clue about. Most of the posters who have been around a while have one or two 'areas of expertise' if you will - mostly by virtue of their personal experience. Learning who those individuals are is, I guess, best determined by reading. Or perhaps other members saying "go ask XYZ - they might have the answer".

New members seem to have a fascination with blue boxes and hearts. Perhaps the best way to help separate 'wheat from chaff' would be for boxes and hearts to not accumulate for posts made in the General Discussion area of the forum.

I agree completely. In fact, I started a poll on the hearts thing a while back, but I think it was a landslide against it. I personally would love all these hearts from GD to go...it's a constant reminder of how much time I've wasted in there :lol:

I'm sure when you joined, it was smaller than it is now & prolly a bit easier to navigate, but I'm confident in the fact that the members can still find their way around here without too much trouble. I see a trend lately with 'oh we gotta make this easier, that easier' when imo, we're trying to reinvent the wheel. Let them come, encourage them to read, and of course, be helpful while ya can...but I think it should constantly be stressed that this is something that needs to be very self-governing.

People do need to be responsible for themselves.

I think though Lisa, what you misunderstand is this - it's best if the site is easily usable. Not just for the sake of the members, but if it is to survive.

Business doesn't survive if it remains stagnant - it has to adapt to the changing needs of the customer or client.

We 'old guard' don't have a problem with change - as is often suggested when these discussions come up. We simply want the site to FUNCTION as well NOW as it did THEN.

When it appears that people are having difficulty navigating the site to find what they are looking for, or re-inventing data because we aren't collecting it for them, then IMO we need to take a hard look at why that is occurring.

Sorry, Steven, I think anything that sets up one person or a group as formally an expert is mostly asking for trouble. Look at all the bitching over the mods' action, and add to that a bunch of whining about 'he said this but I disagree and WHY IS HE AMBASSADOR AND NOT ME WHINE WHINE COOKIE WHINE.'

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

I think though Lisa, what you misunderstand is this - it's best if the site is easily usable. Not just for the sake of the members, but if it is to survive.

Business doesn't survive if it remains stagnant - it has to adapt to the changing needs of the customer or client.

We 'old guard' don't have a problem with change - as is often suggested when these discussions come up. We simply want the site to FUNCTION as well NOW as it did THEN.

When it appears that people are having difficulty navigating the site to find what they are looking for, or re-inventing data because we aren't collecting it for them, then IMO we need to take a hard look at why that is occurring.

The site is easily usable. Obviously bigger, but I don't see a problem in the user-friendly aspect.

I'm not against change for purpose....but change for the sake of it seems a bit superfluous. In this particular thread, 'ambassadors' would be a horrendous move for the site in general.

The site is easily usable. Obviously bigger, but I don't see a problem in the user-friendly aspect.

I'm not against change for purpose....but change for the sake of it seems a bit superfluous. In this particular thread, 'ambassadors' would be a horrendous move for the site in general.

Admit it - you've been around here a while too. That makes it different for us. We already know our way around.

We've got an awfully lot of people looking for things.

I don't see it as 'changing' VJ. I see it like a closet, or a storage cupboard at my office. Every once in a while, it's probably necessary to tidy it up.

Maybe all we need is to change the colors of some things to help people find them - visual changes. Make the "search" button bigger - I dunno. Any tool that can help people find their own answers can't be a bad thing.