11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm in the process of completing all the forms for my adjustment of status, but as I am now married (entered the US on a K1 fiancee visa), I'm unclear which name I use - married, or maiden (ie, how I actually entered the US)? I've looked in the guides, etc, but it's unclear and I don't want to cause unnecessary issues or delays at USCIS.

First contact: Oct 14/06

First meeting: Nov 6-13/06

Engaged: Dec 29/06

Moved to US: June 28/07

Married: July 14/07

You can use either one.

I used my married name on my EAD and AOS application. Just be consistent on your forms. I do recall seeing somewhere that it costs approx. $300 to change the name on your green card, but I am not 100% sure.

Hope this helps.

EAD

May 24th 2007: NOA 1 EAD

June 20th 2007 : Biometrics

July 30th 2007 : EAD card production ordered. day 68

August 2nd 2007: EAD card production ordered *again* day 71

August 8th 2007 : Approval notice mailed day 77

August 11th 2007: EAD card received in the mail (unable to use it to apply for SSN as the next day my AOS was approved and now EAD invalid)

AOS

May 24th 2007: NOA 1

June 20th 2007: Biometrics

June 29th 2007: AOS case trasfered to CSC

July 11th 2007: *touch*

July 30th 2007: *touch*

August 1st 2007: *touch*

August 12th 2007: Card production ordered

August 21st 2007: E-mail from CRIS-Approval notice sent

August 24th 2007: Card in hand!!!

Removal of Conditions

June 25, 2009: NOA

Sept 15, 2009 : Biometrics

Timeline

You should use the name that you will be legally using on everything else. If you are choosing to take your husband's surname, then use that. If you are choosing to keep your maiden name, then use that.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
I'm in the process of completing all the forms for my adjustment of status, but as I am now married (entered the US on a K1 fiancee visa), I'm unclear which name I use - married, or maiden (ie, how I actually entered the US)? I've looked in the guides, etc, but it's unclear and I don't want to cause unnecessary issues or delays at USCIS.

You file your AOS in your married name, in the instructions it tells you what documents you need to submit with you application...ie, copy of your marriage certificate etc. It does ask for previous names used..just add you maiden name where it asks for it..usually a line under it......dont worry, everything will be fine. :thumbs:

Maria

Separated!!

[/quote} You file your AOS in your married name, in the instructions it tells you what documents you need to submit with you application...ie, copy of your marriage certificate etc. It does ask for previous names used..just add you maiden name where it asks for it..usually a line under it......dont worry, everything will be fine. :thumbs:

Maria

Do you have to use your married name? I was under the impression that you have a choice as to what nam you want to use? It wa only at the last minute I decided to apply using my married name.

Edited by texas_bunny

EAD

August 11th 2007: EAD card received in the mail (unable to use it to apply for SSN as the next day my AOS was approved and now EAD invalid)

AOS

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

thanks for the replies everyone :) i'll file everything (AOS, EAD and AP) under my married name then.

First contact: Oct 14/06

First meeting: Nov 6-13/06

Engaged: Dec 29/06

Moved to US: June 28/07

Married: July 14/07

You file your AOS in your married name, in the instructions it tells you what documents you need to submit with you application...ie, copy of your marriage certificate etc. It does ask for previous names used..just add you maiden name where it asks for it..usually a line under it......dont worry, everything will be fine. :thumbs:

Maria

Do you have to use your married name? I was under the impression that you have a choice as to what nam you want to use? It wa only at the last minute I decided to apply using my married name.

Where did Maria say you HAVE to use your married name?

Its your choice to keep your maiden name or use your married name. But whichever you decide to use is how you should fill out the forms.

If you want to change it later, I do believe it costs some $$ (as was suggested above) so I'd keep that $$ and submit it the way I wanted it.

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline

Maria

Its your choice to keep your maiden name or use your married name. But whichever you decide to use is how you should fill out the forms.

If you want to change it later, I do believe it costs some $$ (as was suggested above) so I'd keep that $$ and submit it the way I wanted it.

I tried to edit but it wouldnt let me....what i meant to say was its personal choice!

Separated!!

Maria

Ooops my misinterpretation I guess. Her statement did not reflect having an option of which name to use. The english language can be tricky sometimes :P:P

Edited by texas_bunny

EAD

AOS

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

Maria

Ooops my misinterpretation I guess. Her statement did not reflect having an option of which name to use. The english language can be tricky sometimes :P:P

I did try to edit my initial post to the OP but it wouldnt let me for some strange reason

edited to say: that the OP could use married or maiden name.....just to be consistent in filling in paperwork with the same name or as Tracey said if the OP wanted to change it later would cost $$$ :( sorry if i confused anyone....that wasnt my intention at all...i realised my mistake after i posted my reply. Sorry!!

Edited by MariaDane

Separated!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.