Gareth_

US Embassy interview scheduled before medical exam appointment

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi everyone, I'm in a similar situation to a few others who have posted on here. I received notice of my US Embassy interview appointment today at the embassy in Dublin, Ireland for my marriage-based green card to a US citizen residing in the US. It is scheduled for November 16. However, when I called the Mater Hospital (the only approved medical provider to do the exam), the earliest appointment date is December 6, and I was placed on a cancellation list. I believe this is common, albeit a little unnerving. 

Just wondering if other people went through this process and would be willing to share their experience. For example, what happens at the Embassy interview when this scenario occurs, and how long does it take to be adjusted once the medical examination results are sent to the embassy.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Edited by Gareth_

Timeline

My spouse has an interview at Dublin on the 9th. We are in the same position as you. I emailed the embassy and seems like they are aware but didn’t really give me much other than the medical results will take 10 days to receive and 15 days on average for the embassy to return the passport. I’ll let you know what the 9th looks like for us. Let me know if you get any news. My spouse and I were trying to see each other for the holidays but I don’t know what to expect if they hold the passports.

Timeline

Hey Adrian, I managed to get my medical exam moved up on the cancellation list and it's now on November 10. I kept ringing the Mater every day - I'm sure they got a little irritated with me but it worked in the end. It's still not 10 days before the interview but it's the best I can do for now. Please do let me know how y'all get on at the interview stage. I've heard the 15 days is average waiting time for them to hold the passport. Hopefully it'll go smoothly and you can both be together during the holiday season... I myself am hoping to be able to pack up and make it over there before Xmas. Fingers crossed! 

Timeline
19 hours ago, Gareth_ said:

Hey Adrian, I managed to get my medical exam moved up on the cancellation list and it's now on November 10. I kept ringing the Mater every day - I'm sure they got a little irritated with me but it worked in the end. It's still not 10 days before the interview but it's the best I can do for now. Please do let me know how y'all get on at the interview stage. I've heard the 15 days is average waiting time for them to hold the passport. Hopefully it'll go smoothly and you can both be together during the holiday season... I myself am hoping to be able to pack up and make it over there before Xmas. Fingers crossed! 

My spouse was also able to get a new medical date on November 13th just a few days after our interview. I was able to reach out to someone who had the same issue at Dublin with the medical being after and he said from the day of his medical it took 9 days only to receive his passport in hand. Hoping for the best!

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi both - we're expecting to be in the same situation so I've already called the Mater to get a sense of the wait which doesn't look promising. Could you advise on how long it took you from becomming DQ to receiving your interview letter?

Timeline
2 hours ago, AMulr said:

Hi both - we're expecting to be in the same situation so I've already called the Mater to get a sense of the wait which doesn't look promising. Could you advise on how long it took you from becomming DQ to receiving your interview letter?

It was a few days under a month from getting DQed to getting the interview email. The embassy was well aware of the delays on the medicals and just inform you to send back your passport once your medical is completed and they will put your visa in the passport. What are the current wait times for medicals?

Timeline
2 hours ago, Adrian2D said:

It was a few days under a month from getting DQed to getting the interview email. The embassy was well aware of the delays on the medicals and just inform you to send back your passport once your medical is completed and they will put your visa in the passport. What are the current wait times for medicals?

Thanks for clarifying! I emailed last week asking when the next open appointment was and they said 19th Jan.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, AMulr said:

Thanks for clarifying! I emailed last week asking when the next open appointment was and they said 19th Jan.

Ya they told us they close from December 22nd till January 4th which I think is crazy because they are already behind and closing for half a month. We have our Medical on the 20th which they informed us we won’t get results till after January 4th which is crazy.

• 1 month later...

Hello @AMulr and @Adrian2D, just wanted to ask what your experiences were with the medical-after-interview situation. At the moment we have our interview scheduled for March 21 and medical for April 2, though my husband is on the cancellation list. 

I'm wondering:

- @Adrian2D did you have to keep ringing the clinic to get your new date like @AMulr did, or did they reach out to you?

- In the case where the medical is after, does the embassy keep your passport, or do they have to give it back to you so that you can bring it to the medical -- in which case you'd have to bring the passport back afterward?

Thanks, and I hope everything went smoothly for you both!

Timeline
24 minutes ago, mrev said:

Hello @AMulr and @Adrian2D, just wanted to ask what your experiences were with the medical-after-interview situation. At the moment we have our interview scheduled for March 21 and medical for April 2, though my husband is on the cancellation list. 

I'm wondering:

- @Adrian2D did you have to keep ringing the clinic to get your new date like @AMulr did, or did they reach out to you?

- In the case where the medical is after, does the embassy keep your passport, or do they have to give it back to you so that you can bring it to the medical -- in which case you'd have to bring the passport back afterward?

Thanks, and I hope everything went smoothly for you both!

Hello, Dublin does pretty good with the process and are fully aware with the medical delay. We did call every day and found a cancellation. I don’t think they will reach out to you I haven’t heard of them doing it for anyone you just gotta call. We were able to get an earlier date but due to the need of important travel we ended up taking a later date to travel after the interview quickly. So it is possible to find cancellations. If you don’t find a cancellation Dublin is pretty quick getting you your passport back. They will give you your passport for your medical and then they will require you to drop it off at the listed DPD. Also on the website where you registered your appointment you will need to get a barcode paper that you will need to give DPD. After you drop off your passport after the medical I have seen most people get it in 9-15 days depending on how the weekends fall and US Holidays if they fall during the time. Let me know if there’s any other questions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.