Ana.M

Upcoming interview IR5 Almaty

71 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline

Ladies, when you say "notarize", do you mean you signed the translations in front of a notary public? Also, what does "certify" mean in this context?

I translate everything myself and "certify" on the bottom of the page that I'm fluent in English and Russian, and the above document is a complete and accurate translation of this or that. Worked for USCIS and NVC. I can definitely take my translations to a notary for a stamp...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes what I mean translations with notary stamp. It did work for NVC & USCIS but in instructions from embassy it says "original + copy and notarized translation."

I guess we'll just do it in Almaty.

8 hours ago, Ana.M said:

Yes what I mean translations with notary stamp. It did work for NVC & USCIS but in instructions from embassy it says "original + copy and notarized translation."

I guess we'll just do it in Almaty.

I asked the Almaty Consulate about it directly, since all the documents sent to NVC are with the certified translation, while the KZ web site states "notarized".

The reply was: "If you already submitted certified translations for all your civil documents then it is enough to bring just the originals."

Timeline
7 hours ago, azzz said:

I asked the Almaty Consulate about it directly, since all the documents sent to NVC are with the certified translation, while the KZ web site states "notarized".

The reply was: "If you already submitted certified translations for all your civil documents then it is enough to bring just the originals."

Oh okay.. I never did it with my paperwork but it was 7 years ago in Moscow. Well we will see how it goes , I am not sure now if I should do it. Thank you for your answer !

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you, Ana. Best of luck in Almaty! 

My request to transfer from NVC to Almaty was forwarded to the Consulate, so now I'm waiting for what Alamty says...

On 10/24/2023 at 5:48 PM, Ineska said:

Of course! Glad someone started this blog, it was helpful for us too.

We actually had a mix of translations between US, Russia and KZ (Astana, but I am sure Almaty will have plenty options as well). You have plenty of time yet :)

Hi Ineska, what exactly do you mean by notarizing translations? We have all of our done and there is a signature and stamp of the translator. Is there anything else we need? Interview is scheduled for December, please help :)

Timeline
On 10/26/2023 at 10:38 PM, October 2022 said:

Thank you, Ana. Best of luck in Almaty! 

My request to transfer from NVC to Almaty was forwarded to the Consulate, so now I'm waiting for what Alamty says...

Thank you! I think it took about 3-5 days for them to get back, depends if it’s a weekend or not. I’m sure they will take it 

On 10/21/2023 at 7:13 AM, BenNomad said:

My wife's interview will be in Warsaw, so doing the exam in Moscow is definitely allowed. Not sure about Almaty, whether it has to be done locally or not. There are other threads where the med exam in Almaty has been discussed. My wife just now read on Telegram that someone did the exam in Moscow and the results were sent electronically after 7 days (in their case, to Warsaw).

On 10/24/2023 at 5:48 PM, Ineska said:

Of course! Glad someone started this blog, it was helpful for us too.

We actually had a mix of translations between US, Russia and KZ (Astana, but I am sure Almaty will have plenty options as well). You have plenty of time yet :)

Hi, can you please clarify about notarizing documents? We have all of ours translated with translator's signature and stamp but no notary. The NVC accepted everything just fine, is it the embassy's requirement to have them notarized as well? If so, is it okay to use a Russian notary? Thank you

On 10/26/2023 at 2:44 AM, azzz said:

Hi, did you already have your interview? Are you able to confirm that certified translations sent to NVC is all that's needed? I just need to know if we need to notarize or not :) thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
4 hours ago, Yulia17 said:

is it the embassy's requirement to have them notarized as well?

Unless there are specific instructions otherwise, there's no need to notarize almost anything immigration-related.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

14 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Unless there are specific instructions otherwise, there's no need to notarize almost anything immigration-related.

That's what I thought as well. NVC accepted just certified translations but Almaty Embassy's website states notarized translations, hence the confusion. I am just trying to see if anyone had interviews recently and if their certified translations were sufficient. Thank you

8 hours ago, Yulia17 said:

Hi, did you already have your interview? Are you able to confirm that certified translations sent to NVC is all that's needed? I just need to know if we need to notarize or not :) thank you

You asked me aready in the similar topic earlier. I will be able to check it during my interview on Nov 21 and is going to bring the originals only, without any additional translations or copies. 

9 hours ago, Yulia17 said:

Hi, can you please clarify about notarizing documents? We have all of ours translated with translator's signature and stamp but no notary. The NVC accepted everything just fine, is it the embassy's requirement to have them notarized as well? If so, is it okay to use a Russian notary? Thank you

Hey guys- we knew we’d most likely be going to the Almaty consulate so we followed their instructions - “notarized and certified” translations. So all of our docs were. Not sure if they would have accepted unnotarized versions. 

Just now, Ineska said:

Hey guys- we knew we’d most likely be going to the Almaty consulate so we followed their instructions - “notarized and certified” translations. So all of our docs were. Not sure if they would have accepted unnotarized versions. 

I dont see why you cant use a local notary. Sorry didnt catch your question earlier.

On 10/24/2023 at 1:51 PM, Ineska said:

Hey @Ana.M-  thank you! :)

I stand corrected, my mom said they asked for all of the originals of birth /marriage/death certificates, spravki o ne sodimosti (we had two from two different countries), translations of everything ( I did have them notarized and certified per the website guidance).

Questions were: how did I get to the US? Where would she be living? And then said her visa was approved.

Mom said there were  lot of people that were not getting approved as they were missing one or more docs.

I am sure everything will go well for you guys next week! Good luck! :) Please post an update, keeping fingers crossed for you!

Hi, can you please let me know the process of getting the passport form the Embassy? Their instructions say you have to register ahead of time to let them know where you want to pick up the passport. However, when I follow the link that is on the Embassy's website it takes me to ustraveldocs that does not give me an option to select pick up location for immigrant visa. Thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.