RV012

Spouse name as listed in Passport vs i-130, Immigrant visa application forms

7 posts in this topic

I received the visa application account creation earlier from NVC and I noticed that on my wife's full name, it lists her First name, Maiden Middle Name, and my Last name. I know I asked my lawyer when he initially sent my I-130 because the submitted name on the application for my wife uses her Maiden Middle Name as her middle name on the application. The name change is due to us being married and her adopting my last name. In the Philippines, I know they tend to carry the husband's last name, their maiden last name as middle name, and first name as a complete name (First, Middle, Last order). Her current passport has her maiden last name as middle name listed. Will this be a problem or does NVC/US Embassy know of this format and they will accept it. I just wanted to know if anybody here knows, or has been on the same boat. TIA

*** Removed duplicate thread in another sub-forum.  Please do not create multiple threads on the same topic.  If you post on the wrong forum or would like your thread to be moved, click the "..." (3 dots) on the upper-right corner of your post and select "Report" to send your request to a moderator.  FYI ***

11 hours ago, RV012 said:

I noticed that on my wife's full name, it lists her First name, Maiden Middle Name, and my Last name.

That name format is not acceptable under Philippine law.  Yes, there is a law for married names for Filipinas, and yes, the US embassy in Manila is very familiar with it.  Options are: traditional format (like in your wife's passport), retain full maiden name only, or hyphenate maiden last name with husband's surname.

On the DS-260, make sure to use the name listed on your wife's PH passport, with her maiden last name as her new middle name.  As mentioned above, regardless of the name listed on the I-130 (or the DS-260), the name on the visa will match whatever name is listed on the applicant's passport submitted at the interview.  After US entry, the SSN card and the green card will list whatever name is on the immigrant visa.

Yeah. Got it. I’m thinking my lawyer probably is not familiar of that process/law for name change after marriage in the philippines and thought that middle name equivalent of typical american format should not change when you get married (Mary Ann, where Ann is the middle name and it wouldn’t change at all after marriage).

correct me if I’m wrong, What I’m getting is at this stage, since I-130 has been approved, I only have to list my wife’s name on the DS260 as her name in her passport and that should be okay and acceptable for NVC to approve and won’t be an issue?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, RV012 said:

I only have to list my wife’s name on the DS260 as her name in her passport and that should be okay and acceptable for NVC to approve and won’t be an issue?

On the DS-260, list your wife's name as it appears on her PH passport.  Then in the DS-260 section for "Other Names Used", list her maiden name as it appears on her PSA birth certificate, and all other names she may have used in her civil documents.  No need to worry about NVC, as it's not their job to scrutinize the middle name.  At your wife's visa interview, if the consulate staff ever ask about the name listed on the I-130, she should explain that it was a typo error, assuming she really has not used the format "first name, maiden middle name, husband's last name" in any other document.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.