britty

US Banks - WTF???

63 posts in this topic

I just had to telephone Chevy Chase bank to ask for more checks (god knows why checks are so important here cause in the UK they are only ever used by people over 60). I am being charged $34 to reorder check books. I can't believe they have the audacity to charge for something that Natwest sends out as a matter of course since they monitor the checks you use. Also, Chevy Chase cannot seem to cope with international banking. Natwest of course set it up in 4 mins flat. Does anyone know of a good US bank (Im in Virginia) that can actually operate in a manner that a UK bank does, and that has the capacity for online international banking and doesnt charge for checks? Id be grateful for the name!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I just had to telephone Chevy Chase bank to ask for more checks (god knows why checks are so important here cause in the UK they are only ever used by people over 60). I am being charged $34 to reorder check books. I can't believe they have the audacity to charge for something that Natwest sends out as a matter of course since they monitor the checks you use. Also, Chevy Chase cannot seem to cope with international banking. Natwest of course set it up in 4 mins flat. Does anyone know of a good US bank (Im in Virginia) that can actually operate in a manner that a UK bank does, and that has the capacity for online international banking and doesnt charge for checks? Id be grateful for the name!!

I'm pretty sure they all charge for checks. Never heard otherwise!

Intl banking shouldn't be an issue, isn't with Citibank & US Bank.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Free checks are virtually unheard of. Shop around and find a bank with free web banking - that is how I send all my checks (plus I don't have to pay for postage!)

But, in comparison to how much UK banks value their customers, the US banks only find new ways to fee customers. I work for a bank and I find it shameful how much people are chaged for things. Sadly, I don't see it changing.

Edited to add: Incidentally, you can order your checks through a third party vendor, such as Current, for a much lower cost.

Edited by julezabelle

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I hardly ever use checks here.... only to pay USCIS for everything else I pay online or by charge card.... as far as I know all US banks charge for checks...

Kez

I recently opened a Citibank account and they didn't charge me for cheques.

They do however have an account maintenance fee (waived if your combined balance is over $6,000.)

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I dont buy checks from the bank, however i did find a site thats very reasonable. The more boxes you buy the bigger the discount for a new customer.

Here's the link to their website incase your interested :)

http://www.checkgallery.com/home.aspx

.......... dont forget to click on the special offers on the left hand side. It gives you a one time discount code and deducts it from your total bill.

Separated!!

Banks in the USA are shite, no doubt. They have fees for everything.

For this reason I bank with a credit union. No fees for almost everything (OK, yes I have to pay for checks, but I hardly ever use them), and I get interest on my checking account. The only downside is the lack of ATMS, but luckily Sheetz (a gas station chain in PA) here have fee-free ATMs, so that isn't an issue for me.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I get free checks from Wells Fargo, but it has a lot to do with the company I work for.

ONE DAY AT A TIME....

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

12/30/2008: Overnighted I-751 package to VSC

01/06/2009: Check cashed

01/06/2009: NOA (arrived 01/09/09)

01/23/2009: Biometrics appt letter received

01/31/2009: Biometrics scheduled

05/20/2009: APPROVED

06/23/2009: 10 Year Green Card arrived

what my husband has found the most interesting about american banks is we have drive thru's. he says its just plain lazy :lol:

Our Timeline:

06/19/07: AOS/EAD packet finally off in the mail!

06/21/07: Package arrived in Chicago (Day 1)

06/27/07: NOA1 recieved for I-130 and EAD and I-485 (Day 6)

06/30/07: I-130 and EAD and I-485 *touched* (Day 9)

07/12/07: RFE for proof of joint sponsor's citizenship (Day 21)

07/21/07: Biometrics Appointment in Atlanta (Day 31)

07/23/07: Returned RFE with wanted documents arrives in Missouri (Day 33)

07/25/07: I-485 *touched* (Day 35)

09/06/07: EAD Card Production Ordered (Day 77)

09/12/07: EAD Card recieved in the mail!!! (Day 83)

09/18/07: Interview in Atlanta!!!!!!!!! (Day 89) APPROVED PENDING NAMECHECK!!!!

11/09/07: Card production ordered!!!

11/20/07: Greencard received!!!!!!!!

08/15/09: I-751 package mailed!

08/17/09: Package delivered to VSC.

08/18/09: NOA 1 Extension Letter!! (received 08/24/09)

08/20/09: Check cashed!!

09/29/09: Biometrics in ATL!

Timeline

I disagree. Some banks are shite, sure, but not all.

My local Commerce branch is open 7 days a week, M-F: 7:30am-8pm, Sat: 7:30am-6pm, Sun: 11am-4pm

and most holidays.

Find me a UK bank that does that.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

My local Commerce branch is open 7 days a week, M-F: 7:30am-8pm, Sat: 7:30am-6pm, Sun: 11am-4pm

and most holidays.

An exceptional case I would say. I've never found a bank that's open on Sunday! You are lucky. Perhaps its a big city thing. Banks around here close at 4pm (6pm on Thursday!), and are not open on weekends.

Edited by Dr_LHA

Filed: Timeline

I disagree. Some banks are shite, sure, but not all.

and most holidays.

Find me a UK bank that does that.

There are some Sunday banks, the ones that are in giant grocery stores - like Biggs, etc.

Natwest is open on Saturdays but not Sunday. Sundays are for lunching & sitting in the pub!

Timeline

and most holidays.

An exceptional case I would say. I've never found a bank that's open on Sunday! You are lucky.

They also don't charge any fees -- no account maintenance fees or ATM fees; they refund

ATM fees charged by other banks' ATMs; they (used to) give you 2 free certified (cashier's)

cheques per month (sadly they don't do that anymore.) If you deposit a cheque before 6pm,

the money is always available the next day, etc etc

Timeline

As far as I know, Washington Mutual offers "free checks for life."

Their checking account is also 100% free *and* they offer free international wire transfers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.