Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Questions Reference Green Card and Employment

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone,

My wife just immigrated to the United States last week. She is awaiting arrival of her Green Card and Social Security Card.

Is she authorized to work now or does she have to await arrival of those items?

I assume she would need her SSN for hiring purposes and taxes before they would allow her to work.

I have read that the paper that was stapled to her passport (1550 - correct me if I am wrong on the nomenclature) upon entry is a temporary Green Card of sorts.

Anyone have clarification?

If that is a temporary Green Card do most employers accept that for hiring purposes?

If I am missing anything in regards to items needed for employment let me know. I know the high school diploma could be one of those items.

Do employers take high school diplomas from schools in other countries, specifically Thailand?

I am also working on making her a decent résumé.

Thanks for the help.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Look in passport, she should have I-551 stamp, this is considered to be temp-green card, which allows travel, and work.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.



Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Main thing employers want is the SSN.

Normally takes about 3 weeks to get GC and SS card in the mail if everything goes OK.

Might as well wait to see what she gets in the mail.

Some don't get SS card if they didn't check they wanted it on the DS 230.

No biggy as they take GC or PP with I-551 and go to SSA and apply.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.