~~~water~~~

Why does it seem Egyptians/Arabs don't like dogs , and does anyone have any experience with how your SO adapted to your dog once they came.

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

:thumbs: Same reasons why I don't like dogs.

Yeah, and in the end it comes down to personal preference. Some people never like animals, even if they grow up in a pet-friendly environment. I don't like dogs, I think they are too much work, too hyper, and smell. But that's just me. AT the same time I don't give a flip who owns them, and I would NEVER hurt one! I can think puppies are cute, and I do learn to like the dogs of friends. But this is a personal preference issue. I almost got a lab once, it was dumped in my yard but I did find a no-kill to take her in. I would have done everything I needed to do for her, and probably learned to love her a whole lot-- but a dog is not something I'm just going to pick on my own, you know? Cats though, love them! I always get really snuggly kitties, especially boys who love to play tag and chase you around the house, play fetch, and whatnot. And I love that if I need to work a double, I don't have to worry about the animals going to the bathroom.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband had a dog in Morocco and he loves our dogs here. The only real changes are that they are not allowed to sleep in the bed or on the sofa anymore. I loved having them there to snuggle w/ when he wasn't around, but I did hate always having dog hair in the bed and on the sofa - so that's nice. I just had a hard time trying to enforce that rule b4 he got here b/c the dogs would "walk all over me". They obey him so much better than they do me! But he does love to take them out and play w/ them, throwing toys in the yard, taking them on walks, giving them treats. He just doesn't like the hair everywhere, but then, neither do I.

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Yeah, and in the end it comes down to personal preference. Some people never like animals, even if they grow up in a pet-friendly environment. I don't like dogs, I think they are too much work, too hyper, and smell. But that's just me. AT the same time I don't give a flip who owns them, and I would NEVER hurt one! I can think puppies are cute, and I do learn to like the dogs of friends. But this is a personal preference issue. I almost got a lab once, it was dumped in my yard but I did find a no-kill to take her in. I would have done everything I needed to do for her, and probably learned to love her a whole lot-- but a dog is not something I'm just going to pick on my own, you know? Cats though, love them! I always get really snuggly kitties, especially boys who love to play tag and chase you around the house, play fetch, and whatnot. And I love that if I need to work a double, I don't have to worry about the animals going to the bathroom.

You are right...to each his own. I'm exactly the opposite...I don't like cats. I tolerate them and definitely would never hurt them.

But I definitely think this is a topic that needs to be discussed before "cohabitation" occurs.

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

And I will say that my husband is very appreciative of my dogs seeing as he isn't home with us right now. He feels like the dogs add some protection for me and our son. Even though my pups are older, the female...she'll take you out if you come up in the backyard!

Edited by allousa
MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

On Islam and dogs, by a professor at UCLA: http://www.scholarofthehouse.org/tloofesfaond.html. Interesting, nuanced reading.

My (secular) Persian friends don't like dogs much, and it seems to be more a cultural thing, as Americans are dog-crazy and they're still dirty work animals to them. No doubt religion plays a part, but I'm not sure it's only an Islam thing.

WOW Thanks for the great link Caladan! I read it quickly and will go back to study it more. More than just address the issue of dogs, it is a easy topic to show just how complex the study of Islamic jurisprudence is. I think most of our SOs form Muslim countries havenever studied Islam in such a formal way and yet we tend to think of them as the "experts" on Islam. My husband and i will discuss and debate these kinds of issues. Being fluent in Arabic he is quick with quranic verses, but my background is the socio-historic context tied to both quranic verses and hadiths so it makes for very interesting talks!

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

While reading one of the "Islam for Western Minds" sites I learned that in Islam they believe dogs keep angels away. When I was in Egypt I asked my Husband about it in front of a group of his friends. They all looked at me and my Husband said, "It's true. Where did you learn that?" He said it as if I was being let in on a secret and then he began to tell me all about it.

I was kind of disheartened because I've always had this reoccuring dream with little white dogs and hope maybe one day we'd get one.

In Egypt we had several discussions about animal treatment because I would see several sad looking cats and dogs completely filthy and I would want to care for them. Several times he and his friends would hoot and hollar at me going near the roaming animals telling me not to touch them. They thought it funny.

I guess it was?

I told him the common pets in the US are cats and dogs and you hardly see them roaming the streets not cared for like this and that strays are captured.

He asked what happened when they are captured.

I told him first they tend to them giving them shots and getting them fixed and trying to get them adopted. After several weeks if they're not adopted they put them to sleep.

He told me they don't have that kind of thing there and they let the animals roam free.

Then he asked me, "Don't you think that is more humane?"

This really had me puzzled because I can see what he means. It's just a different way of life and thinking.

Personally he likes birds and fish.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

While reading one of the "Islam for Western Minds" sites I learned that in Islam they believe dogs keep angels away. When I was in Egypt I asked my Husband about it in front of a group of his friends. They all looked at me and my Husband said, "It's true. Where did you learn that?" He said it as if I was being let in on a secret and then he began to tell me all about it.

I was kind of disheartened because I've always had this reoccuring dream with little white dogs and hope maybe one day we'd get one.

Not all muslims have the same intepretation of this hadith you mention. Many do, but not all.

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

On Islam and dogs, by a professor at UCLA: http://www.scholarofthehouse.org/tloofesfaond.html. Interesting, nuanced reading.

My (secular) Persian friends don't like dogs much, and it seems to be more a cultural thing, as Americans are dog-crazy and they're still dirty work animals to them. No doubt religion plays a part, but I'm not sure it's only an Islam thing.

WOW Thanks for the great link Caladan! I read it quickly and will go back to study it more. More than just address the issue of dogs, it is a easy topic to show just how complex the study of Islamic jurisprudence is. I think most of our SOs form Muslim countries havenever studied Islam in such a formal way and yet we tend to think of them as the "experts" on Islam. My husband and i will discuss and debate these kinds of issues. Being fluent in Arabic he is quick with quranic verses, but my background is the socio-historic context tied to both quranic verses and hadiths so it makes for very interesting talks!

I love that link because it seriously reminds me of running a philosophy class. 'Okay, can anyone think why they might have said this about dogs? Does that follow? Let's look at the passage....'

Plus, I love the asides about how he has a crush on the woman in his study group.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline

WOW Thanks for the great link Caladan! I read it quickly and will go back to study it more.

I'm a big fan of Dr. Khaled, except that at times he is a wee bit pretentious. In the about section on his website, he describes himself as "the most important and influential Islamic thinker in the modern age." :unsure: While I certainly do work and approach to traditional scholarship, he may be overstating his influence just a teeny bit.

My favorite work of his (and I can't remember which book it is in) is a commentary on the popular saudi backed translation of the Qur'an by Hill and Khan. Will have to look the books over to see which one it's in.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

I'm a big fan of Dr. Khaled, except that at times he is a wee bit pretentious.

I find pretentiousness to be a bit sexy when its backed up by really great scholarship and intellect :blush: Of course usually real scholarship and intellect abilty usually comes with humility.

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Filed: Other Timeline

Just a note about the site for Dr. Abou El Fadl (in the about the scholar section):

"Dr. Abou El Fadl is neither involved in nor responsible for any of the activities related to this website, including the naming of the site, the conducting of any matters of business, or the making of any decisions regarding its policies. Dr. Abou El Fadl does not gain any profit from the sales generated from the website.

This website is solely owned and operated by Students, Supporters and Friends of Dr. Abou El Fadl, and is committed to the preservation and promotion of his thought."

Those who run the site describe him that way, but he doesn't call himself that.

Edited by peezey

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Timeline

Unfortunately, it's also in some of his book bios as well (check the black flap). Not only is he one of the most influencial scholars, he's also apparently "the most critical and powerful voice against purtianical and wahhabi islam today."

Do I think he's brilliant? Yup. But all that? Nope. I'm a big fan of haya, and he seems to be lacking that, at least in his bios. Haven't ever met him in person, but it's on my list of things to do someday inshaAllah.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Other Timeline
Unfortunately, it's also in some of his book bios as well (check the black flap). Not only is he one of the most influencial scholars, he's also apparently "the most critical and powerful voice against purtianical and wahhabi islam today."

Do I think he's brilliant? Yup. But all that? Nope. I'm a big fan of haya, and he seems to be lacking that, at least in his bios. Haven't ever met him in person, but it's on my list of things to do someday inshaAllah.

What other scholars are coming out strongly against wahhabism with comparable knowledge and training as him? I'm asking seriously, not snarky, because I haven't come across one.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Timeline

In terms of influence, I would name Sheikh Nuh Keller as a person with more influence. The salafis on the web seem to think he's a bigger threat to them, considering how much they rail against him. Heck, I'd say quite a few of these people listed here have more influence in the muslim community than Dr. Khaled, and many advocate "traditional" islam and have spoken against wahabbism.

At least from my own personal, limited experience, I haven't seen Dr. Khaled have a wide influence, or any influence at all, in any muslim community I've been a part of.

irhal.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My wife didn't like my little chihuahua at first, especially cause he's not well house-broken, but she slowly warmed to him. And her mom (staying w/ us for the birth) absolutely loves him, so her attitude is similarly improving. :)

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.