JenniferJarin

Working abroad

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have an estimated processing date of Aug. 25 for my NOA2. I am currently in the US, with plans to return to my fiance's home country of Thailand asap, once I get some things taken care of here. I was recently offered a legitimate job on my fiance's island that would start in early September, and which would also provide me with a work visa for Thailand.

I am self-employed as a freelance writer/editor, so can work via my laptop from the US or abroad. My income isn't sufficient for the I-134 affadavit of support, however, so my sister is signing on as a co-sponsor. My freelance computer work enables me to work from anywhere, so I'd rather spend the waiting time with my fiance in Thailand rather than sitting alone in front of my computer in my apartment in the US. In order to stay in Thailand for the months it will take before the visa is hopefully approved, without going on visa runs, I'll need a work visa, which I was already offered.

SO my basic question is this: Will getting a work visa and working abroad in Thailand for the 4-5 more months it may take to process his visa hurt my chances in any way of having a successful interview in Bangkok/getting the visa approval? Should I mention this work, if I take it, at the visa interview, which I plan on going to with him? I will still be on the lease & writing rent checks for my apartment of 13 years in LA. I will also still be working jobs via computer, but I would also be making an income for the next few months from a Thai job as well.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I too once entertained the idea of going to Russia and staying for a few months during the last stage of our visa process. I could have gotten alot of writing finished this way. But I decided to stay here and continue working because it would certainly look better for my income, though I'm already well over the poverty guidelines for this year. I was just too worried that it might appear irresponsible. Besides, I can make more here. Since you have a cosponsor I guess you should have nothing to worry about. And if I may give you an opinion without offending... being a writer and editor, I would imagine you could find a much better paying job to earn the minimum required by the I-134. What id this job offer you spoke about in Thailand? Can't be freelance writing. You mentioned it was a Thai job. I'm only asking out of curiosity because I find it adventurous to do such things. Anyway, good luck!

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I too once entertained the idea of going to Russia and staying for a few months during the last stage of our visa process. I could have gotten alot of writing finished this way. But I decided to stay here and continue working because it would certainly look better for my income, though I'm already well over the poverty guidelines for this year. I was just too worried that it might appear irresponsible. Besides, I can make more here. Since you have a cosponsor I guess you should have nothing to worry about. And if I may give you an opinion without offending... being a writer and editor, I would imagine you could find a much better paying job to earn the minimum required by the I-134. What id this job offer you spoke about in Thailand? Can't be freelance writing. You mentioned it was a Thai job. I'm only asking out of curiosity because I find it adventurous to do such things. Anyway, good luck!

Thanks for responding. You asked about the job offer -- teaching english! But this would be at a school for wealthy expats' kids, so the pay is higher than most -- at least for thai standards. I really hope being in thailand is not a problem because the main reason I'll be going back is to be with him. You see, I already stayed there for 6 months -- 4 of them with him. My freelance writing income brings in enough for me to stay cheaply in thailand. So I figure, why stay here when I can just as easily be with him during this process, working from my laptop while keeping my US apartment? The extra teaching gig was primarily so I'd have a work visa and could make additional money, and without having to do the visa runs I'd have to do on a tourist visa. We just really don't want to be apart if we can help it. We plan to start a business when we get to the US -- this was even noted in the visa application.

If anyone else has any experience with working abroad while awaiting the visa, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.