Hellb0y

Passport return ETA

8 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi, I have interview schedule for F3 visa on June 26 in montreal.  I have work travel to US on July 11 for which we need to get my passport back before that. For those who had recently had interviews at montreal, how long does it take for passports to be returned back to you. I have paid extra for shipping directly to me.

Thanks,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That is going to depend on how long you end up in AP (everyone goes through AP).  If you're lucky, within the week.  That said, there's both a Canadian and US holiday that fall in between your interview and your travel dates and if you have a common Indian name, AP will take longer, so I would anticipate it might take longer.  This is why people are told not to make any travel plans until their passport has been received - there are no guarantees and there are no specific timelines.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
1 hour ago, mam521 said:

That is going to depend on how long you end up in AP (everyone goes through AP).  If you're lucky, within the week.  That said, there's both a Canadian and US holiday that fall in between your interview and your travel dates and if you have a common Indian name, AP will take longer, so I would anticipate it might take longer.  This is why people are told not to make any travel plans until their passport has been received - there are no guarantees and there are no specific timelines.  

Thanks for the reply. Few follow up questions "everyone goes through AP"

Is that really Montreal specific?

What has made that a surety? 

what has name to do with AP? 

thanks.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Hellb0y said:

Thanks for the reply. Few follow up questions "everyone goes through AP"

Is that really Montreal specific?

What has made that a surety? 

what has name to do with AP? 

thanks.

Everyone, globally, who interviews at a consulate goes through some degree of AP.  It's the final checks and balances made by DoS before issuing your visa.  

Name has to do with it because they are checking to ensure there are no outstanding black marks against a person and that you are who you say you are.  We had a person on the Canada forum a couple of years back who was stuck in AP for a while.  They googled their name out of curiosity and there was another person with a VERY similar name who had outstanding crimes against them.  The checks and balances were in play to ensure that person interviewing wasn't the criminal.  It's more complicated when there are more people with similar or the same names and when dealing with a country that doesn't have as good of a track record with records keeping or as extensive data sharing agreements as other countries do.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
1 minute ago, mam521 said:

Everyone, globally, who interviews at a consulate goes through some degree of AP.  It's the final checks and balances made by DoS before issuing your visa.  

Name has to do with it because they are checking to ensure there are no outstanding black marks against a person and that you are who you say you are.  We had a person on the Canada forum a couple of years back who was stuck in AP for a while.  They googled their name out of curiosity and there was another person with a VERY similar name who had outstanding crimes against them.  The checks and balances were in play to ensure that person interviewing wasn't the criminal.  It's more complicated when there are more people with similar or the same names and when dealing with a country that doesn't have as good of a track record with records keeping or as extensive data sharing agreements as other countries do.  

Understood. Thanks

Timeline
1 minute ago, Hellb0y said:

Understood. Thanks

Hopefully it's easy and you ride through, unscathed.  Sincerest good luck!

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Timeline
On 6/20/2023 at 4:28 PM, mam521 said:

Hopefully it's easy and you ride through, unscathed.  Sincerest good luck!

Hi, just wanted to thank you again and let you make my interview went smoothly yesterday. Passport is back on its way to me. 

Timeline
18 hours ago, Hellb0y said:

Hi, just wanted to thank you again and let you make my interview went smoothly yesterday. Passport is back on its way to me. 

Excellent news!  Good luck on your permanent move :)

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.