ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My situation is a tad different. My employer and I came to a mutual agreement that my job sucked and he could get his daughter to do my job for much less money. (Don't ask ... and be careful about working for shady-looking startups.)

So I already have an active EI claim. I opened it the same week we sent in my I-129F. I should have enough hours to get me through the CSC process (#fingerscrossed) and then some. I don't want to tell EI what I'm up to with my immigration until it's absolutely necessary (Vancouver interview complete, or at least scheduled).

I suppose at that point I will have to suspend my claim and then re-start when I get my EA?

Has anyone been through a similar experience?

Recall reading a few similar situations....and thats what they had to do...

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Yes, you say "no" to full-time. You are allowed to collect -- I'm trying to remember what the cap is ... ugh -- $250 per week in pay without it affecting your claim.

Ed note: That's at least for self-employed people. It looks like it's different for regular employment:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/regular.shtml#Working

Thankyou! I am just training for two short shifts a week now, and noticed I got a payment today. Good to know I will be getting something until I start working more hours in a month.

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thankyou! I am just training for two short shifts a week now, and noticed I got a payment today. Good to know I will be getting something until I start working more hours in a month.

No problem. As a born and raised Maritimer, the unemployment system is sort of second nature to me. Kind of like skating. Haha.

Timeline

No problem. As a born and raised Maritimer, the unemployment system is sort of second nature to me. Kind of like skating. Haha.

HAHA! Sorry, had to chuckle at the skating bit.

I'm a small (5 foot 1 - depending on how big my hair is that day) Asian girl and played ringette and hockey growing up. So when I'm in the US and people joke about me being 'super canadian', born skating is true to me. In the land of baseball and football, they really get confused as to the fact that I really do play hockey and they could not see it. I love going skating though with people who try and challenge me to a race, thinking it can't be real. I miss Canada and the hockey craze.

I posted a thread seeking advice and got a tonne of great positive feedback. I just wanted to chime in as it's an EI thread afterall.

My story:

Had a conversation with my boss about either voluntarily quitting or getting put on leave (so I had a job secured once EAD was completed). I had my interview done and my visa approved and in my hands when I had this talk with my boss. I just needed to book my flight (which would've been a few weeks away). My boss ended up saying he did not want to lose me and that it was best to go on leave. I took my last week in Canada and a few days from when I did my POE as 'vacation' so that I would have an extra paycheck coming in. When I got off vacation and when I was about to start going on leave, my boss terminated my employment. He told me it was restructuring of the company while telling my team I had quit. He also told HR that it was performance related.

I have submitted my EI claim based on being terminated and not 'quitting based on relocation with my spouse'. I submitted it late last week but haven't heard anything back yet. Should it be denied, I'll appeal and ask whether I'm still eligible because I am now in the US with my spouse. My termination date is approx 1.5 months from when my visa was issued.

Edited by Lights

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Timeline

I read that thread, Lights. This must be super stressful for you. I can only hope the best possible scenario comes through for you.

As for the hockey, I have a Maple Leaf tattoo with a pair of old pipe-blade skates hanging off it. I'll forever carry hockey in my heart, even though I'm only moving a few hours south of the border. My fiance is a gem ... after I made him watch the Boston-Vancouver final a few years ago, he absolutely fell in love with the game. He even wants to learn how to skate! Not too far of a stretch since he played roller hockey in California. (He also got private curling lessons from one of my besties in Calgary. He hit the button after about 20 minutes of learning.)

I've told him we'll be WHL Chiefs season-ticket holders. He laughed. I was serious.

Timeline

How long does it take for Service Canada to send you the access ID? I'm trying to set up an account online but no luck...

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

How long does it take for Service Canada to send you the access ID? I'm trying to set up an account online but no luck...

Inside of two weeks, usually for me.

I was under the impression that this feature did not work for those filing an Out-of-State Claims Department (ie. those filing for benefits outside of Canada).

Maybe someone else can clarify?! Either way - I have never needed to use an Access ID throughout this process.

12.27.10 We met in Vegas

05.31.12 Engaged... in Vegas =)

K1
03.02.13 I-129F sent to TX
03.07.13 NOA1 E-mail Notification

08.13.13 NOA2 E-mail Notification (6+ months)

08.29.13 Case arrives at MTL Consulate

09.13.13 Packet 3 arrives

09.17.13 Packet 3 is accetped at MTL (confirmed via Xpresspost tracking)

09.26.13 Packet 4 arrives

10.22.13 Medical

11.07.13 Interview (Approved!)

11.20.13 VISA/PASSPORT IN HAND!!! (Couriered)

12.26.13 P.O.E. Detroit, MI.

12.31.13 ***WEDDING***

AOS

02.25.14 NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

03.xx.14 RFE (mid-March)

03.21.14 Biometrics

04.21.14 RFE docs received & AOS case touched

05.22.14 EAD/AP approved

05.31.14 EAD/AP received

06.09.14 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case (projected additional wait of 6 months)

07.30.14 Notice that my Permanent Resident status has been registered!!!

08.05.14 Card/Document Production

08.07.14 GREEN CARD IN HAND =)

Timeline

I was under the impression that this feature did not work for those filing an Out-of-State Claims Department (ie. those filing for benefits outside of Canada).

Maybe someone else can clarify?! Either way - I have never needed to use an Access ID throughout this process.

Hmm... I called the voicemail number today and left a message. I just hope i'm filing it the right way. 1) termination and then if that fails or I get denied 2) relocation claim.

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

You can check your stuff (payment amount etc...) online still, but cannot make any online reports etc. Having the online ID is kinda pointless for the most part.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I thought Lights was still in Canada.

No, I'm in the US. My POE was end of June.

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

Timeline

Left a message with EI on their international line last week and haven't gotten a call back. I logged into the system and they said to do that weekly report. So I did. Not sure if that was wrong of me to do or not...

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just filling out my First EI Paper Form

So I say 0 for all total hours worked and money collection, and

And Mark 'YES' for Willing and capable of work?

seems simple enough right?

and whats the point to call the intertional number? is it just for questions?

Vancouver Canada to San Diego [Rancho Bernardo to be exact]

Just filling out my First EI Paper Form

So I say 0 for all total hours worked and money collection, and

And Mark 'YES' for Willing and capable of work?

seems simple enough right?

and whats the point to call the intertional number? is it just for questions?

Do we mark "YES" for willing and capable of work, even though we (K1s) cannot work until receiving EAD?

I filled in my first form last weekend (online) but put "NO" because I don't move to the US until Thursday, and technically not willing to work.

Edited by Sweetmelissa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.