ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I need your urgent advice because I'm in a very terrible situation.I was married for 15 years and we got divorced, my husband moved on and married to a canadian citizen.We have two kids,one born in montreal and one was sponsored by my ex husband. He lived with his new wife for 3.5 years until the kids became a problem. We were always in trouble because of the kids and the way they were been treated,I visit them often in Canada.After 9 years he was very ill and ask me to get back together and get married again,I said yes so my children and my family will be together again. We got married again in 2009 and he sponsored me to come to Canada in 2010.I applied my documents in 2010 to get the permanent residency in Canada.Recently I received the answer from immigration that my application was refused because there is a law that state you cannot sponsor your previous wife to come to Canada.I'm trying to find a reasonable way to stay in Canada with my family.Any advice is more than helpful.

I need your urgent advice because I'm in a very terrible situation.I was married for 15 years and we got divorced, my husband moved on and married to a canadian citizen.We have two kids,one born in montreal and one was sponsored by my ex husband. He lived with his new wife for 3.5 years until the kids became a problem. We were always in trouble because of the kids and the way they were been treated,I visit them often in Canada.After 9 years he was very ill and ask me to get back together and get married again,I said yes so my children and my family will be together again. We got married again in 2009 and he sponsored me to come to Canada in 2010.I applied my documents in 2010 to get the permanent residency in Canada.Recently I received the answer from immigration that my application was refused because there is a law that state you cannot sponsor your previous wife to come to Canada.I'm trying to find a reasonable way to stay in Canada with my family.Any advice is more than helpful.

You could try asking in one of the forum sites dedicated to immigrating to Canada where they are more familiar with Canadian Immigration. Here is a link to one: http://www.roadtocanada.com/forums/index.php

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Does anybody know the FAX number?

I need to send a copy of my EAD so I can start receiving my EI.

Thanks

Ps- anything else I should send along with my EAD? I have been receiving and filling out the cards periodically.

Cam & Ellie

• 5 weeks later...

I entered on a K-1 and it took me 6 months to start my AOS paperwork, would I still get benefits, or did I take too long to apply for AOS?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I entered on a K-1 and it took me 6 months to start my AOS paperwork, would I still get benefits, or did I take too long to apply for AOS?

Did you ever apply for EI? Even though a k1 can't collect until you get EAD--one still has to apply ASAP. could always cal them and ask.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Did you ever apply for EI? Even though a k1 can't collect until you get EAD--one still has to apply ASAP. could always cal them and ask.

I applied before I got married, but haven't done anything after that. I'll call them.

Then yeah, I tried logging in, but it hates my access code and overall issues trying to get into my account online.

Edited by awkwardsoul

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So I'm confused, my EI apparently ran out today but it's 8 weeks short of the 36 weeks they told me it would last for. I'm short 8 weeks. I read somewhere in this thread some people were losing benefits weeks because they started counting your benefits weeks when your case gets approved and if you don't have your EAD yet while your EI case is approved then you just don't get paid for those weeks. My EAD took a while for approval (4 months total, approx 3 months after I applied for EI), is this why I'm losing some weeks of benefits? This kind of throws me for a loop because I was initially told 36 weeks when I started getting paid. When I asked how much longer I had, I was told beginning of January (4 weeks short). Now I'm pretty much out all of a sudden. What's going on?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

So I'm confused, my EI apparently ran out today but it's 8 weeks short of the 36 weeks they told me it would last for. I'm short 8 weeks. I read somewhere in this thread some people were losing benefits weeks because they started counting your benefits weeks when your case gets approved and if you don't have your EAD yet while your EI case is approved then you just don't get paid for those weeks. My EAD took a while for approval (4 months total, approx 3 months after I applied for EI), is this why I'm losing some weeks of benefits? This kind of throws me for a loop because I was initially told 36 weeks when I started getting paid. When I asked how much longer I had, I was told beginning of January (4 weeks short). Now I'm pretty much out all of a sudden. What's going on?

You should call them to find out.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Timeline

fax# 613-545-8934 Phone # 877-486-1650

This is what I used for my EAD and had no issues.

Does anybody know the FAX number?

I need to send a copy of my EAD so I can start receiving my EI.

Thanks

Ps- anything else I should send along with my EAD? I have been receiving and filling out the cards periodically.

K1 Visa
2011-02-03 - I-129F NOA1
2011-06-16 - I-129F RFE
2011-09-01 - I-129F NOA2
2011-11-23 - Interview Date
2011-12-05 - Visa Received
2011-12-18 - US Entry
2012-02-11 - Marriage
AOS
2012-02-23 - NOA1 date for I-485 Petition (AOS), I-765 Petition (EAD), & I-131 Petition (AP)
2012-03-22 - Hard copy of transfer to CSC
2012-03-24 - Hard copy of biometrics appointment
2012-04-17 - Biometrics appointment in Norfolk, VA
2012-04-26 - Received EAD/AP combo card via USPS
2012-09-08 - Received hard copy of RFE #1(missing medical information)
2012-10-20 - Hard copy of RFE #2(Requires another copy of hubby's divorce decree)
2012-11-10 - Email Card/ Document Production
2012-11-14 - Email registered permanent resident status
2012-11-16 - Email card mailed
2012-11-19 - Card Received... whoohooo!!

ROC

2014-08-14 - Mailed I-751 petition to VSC via priority mail

2014-08-22 - Rcvd NOA1 dated 2014-08-18

2014-09-19 - Biometrics apt @9am

2015-02-21 - Received RFE dated 2015-02-17 (more evidence over the 2 years)

2015-04-09 - RFE response mailed, took awhile we were in the process of moving

2015-04-24 - Card Production email and text received at 2pm

2015-05-02 - Card Received via priority mail, left in mailbox

N-400

2023-02-16 - Filed online

2023-02-16 - Receipt Notice

2023-02-18 - Biometric Notification

2023-03-09 - Biometric Appointment

2023-07-11 - Interview @ 10am APPROVED

2023-08-17 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled Notification Received

2023-09-18 - Oath Ceremony @ 1pm, Siegel Center in Richmond!

2023-09-21 - Registered to vote

2023-09-28 - Updated records with Social Security

2023-10-03 - Applied for passport

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

My husband has been working at his place of employment for 28 months.

However, if I had to estimate, I'd say on avg he's worked only 5 hours per week.

According to what I'm reading, however, he has to have worked a minimum of 420 hours in the past year (52 weeks)

Am I reading this all correctly so far?

So in short, it looks like he would NOT qualify.

Unless he worked for 420 hours this year, which is highly doubtful.

What do you make when you get the EI anyways?

Is it a percentage of what you were making before?

That's how it works in the US.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

My husband has been working at his place of employment for 28 months.

However, if I had to estimate, I'd say on avg he's worked only 5 hours per week.

According to what I'm reading, however, he has to have worked a minimum of 420 hours in the past year (52 weeks)

Am I reading this all correctly so far?

So in short, it looks like he would NOT qualify.

Unless he worked for 420 hours this year, which is highly doubtful.

What do you make when you get the EI anyways?

Is it a percentage of what you were making before?

That's how it works in the US.

Yes one has to work for a minimum of hours and then one gets a %

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/ei/index.shtml

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/faq/index.shtml

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Yes one has to work for a minimum of hours and then one gets a %

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/ei/index.shtml

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/faq/index.shtml

Thanks, I was already on that site, but didn't see the FAQ which explained he'd have to work 525 hours minim

:rofl: I wish.

I still didn't see anything on how much he would make, though, if he did qualify..

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Thanks, I was already on that site, but didn't see the FAQ which explained he'd have to work 525 hours minim

:rofl: I wish.

I still didn't see anything on how much he would make, though, if he did qualify..

There is a formula some where on the site (well used to be) the amt one receives is based on what one was making at their place of employment

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I was wondering if I waited too long to apply for EI, I understand I can't get it yet. But my last work week was October 21st-28th and I have made no efforts to apply, as I never really thought of it. Is it too late?

Timeline

I was wondering if I waited too long to apply for EI, I understand I can't get it yet. But my last work week was October 21st-28th and I have made no efforts to apply, as I never really thought of it. Is it too late?

Well Maybe you should make an effort.....All they can do is say no! And if they do, one can appeal. If you do not try, the answer is already a NO

Edited by Flames9_RN

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.