ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It's June 25th, 2:08 PM EST, Interstate mailbox is full.

I've faxed my EAD, I hope something happens soon.

One question, I was on EI for three months prior to POE. I notified intertate that I moved and they suspended my EI until I got my EAD. This was in January. I finally got my EAD, (6 months later). Will I still be able to receive the remainder of my EI?

Edited by Minu Luvs Pinu

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

How long does it take for these people to get the EI started? My EI was only suspended, they take forever!

Honestly - it takes a while, you can certainly call them back to ensure they mailed your cards but teh mail is horrible. Many of us have ended up updating our cards by phone because the cards took so long to come.

Call and bug them, ask if you can do your updates by phone if you still haven't received cards.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Cards? I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean by "cards"? I never received a card from them. I just want to know when they'll start the direct deposit again. I just wish I could get a job right way, this EI is ridiculous, when I was living in Canada it took them two months to get my EI started and I had already gone deep into my savings. It's seriously such a joke. I hate having to deal with these idiots. They say they're on it and 5 weeks later you still get nothing.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Cards? I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean by "cards"? I never received a card from them. I just want to know when they'll start the direct deposit again. I just wish I could get a job right way, this EI is ridiculous, when I was living in Canada it took them two months to get my EI started and I had already gone deep into my savings. It's seriously such a joke. I hate having to deal with these idiots. They say they're on it and 5 weeks later you still get nothing.

Yes they mail you cards which you have to fill out and return. Can't recall all the info on the cards, but more or less asks if u have been looking for work---and if you have been working, how many hrs did u work, etc etc

Edited by Flames9_RN

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I never mail in the cards. I always call them early Friday morning when they are due and leave a message with my name, SIN, and phone number. Someone usually calls me back before the end of the day (Monday morning at the latest) and we do the 'card' over the phone. I received my EAD in late April, waited my two week waiting period and started receiving benefits with no issues.

Honestly - it takes a while, you can certainly call them back to ensure they mailed your cards but teh mail is horrible. Many of us have ended up updating our cards by phone because the cards took so long to come.

Call and bug them, ask if you can do your updates by phone if you still haven't received cards.

K1 Visa
2011-02-03 - I-129F NOA1
2011-06-16 - I-129F RFE
2011-09-01 - I-129F NOA2
2011-11-23 - Interview Date
2011-12-05 - Visa Received
2011-12-18 - US Entry
2012-02-11 - Marriage
AOS
2012-02-23 - NOA1 date for I-485 Petition (AOS), I-765 Petition (EAD), & I-131 Petition (AP)
2012-03-22 - Hard copy of transfer to CSC
2012-03-24 - Hard copy of biometrics appointment
2012-04-17 - Biometrics appointment in Norfolk, VA
2012-04-26 - Received EAD/AP combo card via USPS
2012-09-08 - Received hard copy of RFE #1(missing medical information)
2012-10-20 - Hard copy of RFE #2(Requires another copy of hubby's divorce decree)
2012-11-10 - Email Card/ Document Production
2012-11-14 - Email registered permanent resident status
2012-11-16 - Email card mailed
2012-11-19 - Card Received... whoohooo!!

ROC

2014-08-14 - Mailed I-751 petition to VSC via priority mail

2014-08-22 - Rcvd NOA1 dated 2014-08-18

2014-09-19 - Biometrics apt @9am

2015-02-21 - Received RFE dated 2015-02-17 (more evidence over the 2 years)

2015-04-09 - RFE response mailed, took awhile we were in the process of moving

2015-04-24 - Card Production email and text received at 2pm

2015-05-02 - Card Received via priority mail, left in mailbox

N-400

2023-02-16 - Filed online

2023-02-16 - Receipt Notice

2023-02-18 - Biometric Notification

2023-03-09 - Biometric Appointment

2023-07-11 - Interview @ 10am APPROVED

2023-08-17 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled Notification Received

2023-09-18 - Oath Ceremony @ 1pm, Siegel Center in Richmond!

2023-09-21 - Registered to vote

2023-09-28 - Updated records with Social Security

2023-10-03 - Applied for passport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes they mail you cards which you have to fill out and return. Can't recall all the info on the cards, but more or less asks if u have been looking for work---and if you have been working, how many hrs did u work, etc etc

Do you have a SSN and your green card in hand? I had to send them a copy of these documents before they would start my benefits. You have to prove you are legally allowed to work in the USA.

Also, because we live in the USA we don't get benefits for the full weeks, I think they cut it down by 2 weeks. Maybe someone else can confirm this. Once I did this it didn't take very long.

Marriage 2010-10-09

I-130 Sent : 2010-10-12

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-10-20

I-130 Approved : 2011-03-31

NVC Received : 2011-04-13

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2011-04-22

Pay I-864 Bill 2011-04-22

Receive I-864 Package : 2011-04-26

Return Completed I-864 : 2011-05-03

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2011-05-01

Receive IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Pay IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Receive Instruction Package : 2011-04-29

Case Completed at NVC : 2011-05-20

Interview Date Montreal : 2011-07-19

Interview Result : Approved

POE Coutts, Ab : 2011-07-29

I-751 Sent : May 01, 2013

Early Biometrics : May 28, 2013

I-751 Approved: August 26, 2013 dancin5hr.gif

Timeline

Do you have a SSN and your green card in hand? I had to send them a copy of these documents before they would start my benefits. You have to prove you are legally allowed to work in the USA.

Also, because we live in the USA we don't get benefits for the full weeks, I think they cut it down by 2 weeks. Maybe someone else can confirm this. Once I did this it didn't take very long.

Person above is on a k1---they have to wait for work authorization (EAD) and she stated above that she faxed it in. But 1 of the slow downs for her/him may be that she started collecting EI in canada then moved to the USA--so now it has to go to the International side of the house. And it being summer--people are probably on holidays

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I just did my online and i already sent my ROE, my to be honest not sure i sent to the right address :( ... I mailed to th Outside of Canada Office in Kingston.

We will see! Wish me good luck..

Thanks..

Cam & Ellie

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyone have any experience starting their own business while on EI? How do they deal with people who (obviously) won't make enough money. Do the payments just cease or do they have to put you on hold and re-evaluate your case? Or will they ding you massively at the end of the tax year? I guess I should be calling them up to ask them about this, but when I did they told me it depends on a case-by-case basis.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

So I filed back in June for my EI to start up again. And its now Aug. 21st. Nothings happened. I gave them everything they needed and more and still nothing. I keep calling them and leaving them messages and no one cares to call back.

They really don't want to help me out huh? Any one here have this problem too?

This isn't the first time they did this to me. Before I left Canada my hours at work were reduced by A LOT and I had to go on EI which took me two and a half months to get. I had to go into my savings that I was saving up for my move to the US. They're a complete bullsh*t department, I honestly don't care any more. If my husband wasn't supporting me right now I would, honestly, be in major debt and homeless! Just completely fed up and frustrated. I don't want to deal with these people any more.

Timeline

So I filed back in June for my EI to start up again. And its now Aug. 21st. Nothings happened. I gave them everything they needed and more and still nothing. I keep calling them and leaving them messages and no one cares to call back.

They really don't want to help me out huh? Any one here have this problem too?

This isn't the first time they did this to me. Before I left Canada my hours at work were reduced by A LOT and I had to go on EI which took me two and a half months to get. I had to go into my savings that I was saving up for my move to the US. They're a complete bullsh*t department, I honestly don't care any more. If my husband wasn't supporting me right now I would, honestly, be in major debt and homeless! Just completely fed up and frustrated. I don't want to deal with these people any more.

Start at the basics....are you calling the International EI phone number?? As wel as Email. Look at some of the above posters who have called and been successful---PM them and check to see what # (email)they are using. And if no luck, contact ur former MP back in ur old Canadian riding--and get them on it!!

Timeline

the number is 613-536-4987 they are not very good at calling you back

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
I-129F Sent : 2010-11-08 (Texas)
I-129F NOA1 : 2010-11-11 (Sent to Vermont)
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-04-14 said Toronto, sent to Montreal, well played
NVC Received : 2011-04-19
NVC Left : 2011-04-21
Consulate Received : 2011-04-29
Packet 3 Received : not yet lol
Packet 3 Sent : 2011-05-10
Packet 4 Received :2011-05-20
Interview Date :2011-08-10
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-08-19
POE: 2011-08-25
Marriage: 2011-09-03
AOS: 2011-10-13
NOA: 2011-10-27
Bio. Appt. : 2011-12-12
AOS Transfer to CSC: 2011-12-23
NOA 2 AP/EAD: 2011-12-23
AP/EAD in hand:2012-01-03

GC: 2012-04-02
ROC Sent: 2014-02-10

NOA:2014-02-13

Bio. Appt 2014-03-24

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been calling in for my phone reporting at this number: 1-877-486-1650 and they usually got back to me. Once they didn't get back to me and I was a week late for my report. I called in every day that week to leave a message. You really have to be persistent.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.