jjcantab

Health insurance after arrival

3 posts in this topic

Both me (USC) and my spouse (IR-1) are getting ready for our arrival in the US later this month from the UK.  

Regarding health insurance, we both are starting from scratch as we have left our jobs and will start our job search in the US.  It seems most ACA "marketplace" plans start on the first of the month after we register -- has anyone found a solution that would cover us (for emergencies at least) during the interim period before regular insurance starts?

Please let me know.  Thank you!

3 hours ago, jjcantab said:

Both me (USC) and my spouse (IR-1) are getting ready for our arrival in the US later this month from the UK.  

Regarding health insurance, we both are starting from scratch as we have left our jobs and will start our job search in the US.  It seems most ACA "marketplace" plans start on the first of the month after we register -- has anyone found a solution that would cover us (for emergencies at least) during the interim period before regular insurance starts?

Please let me know.  Thank you!

I bought my K1 beneficiary traveler insurance for the first month with emergency medical for her travel to the US.

All the traveler insurance needed was a passport number.

Then after marriage, I added her to my health insurance.

Make sure to get your foreign spouse a SSN soon after entering the US because I think that is needed to add to the insurance plan?

I don't want to recommend a traveler insurance since I didn't do much in-depth research or comparison because I was in a rush.

This was back during Covid checks for foreign arrivals.

I'm sure there are better traveler insurance with better health coverage than what I bought if you spend the time to compare?

Edited by EatBulaga

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.