PM&MM

n400 interview scheduled, Hartford CT - Questions (repost in correct forum)

9 posts in this topic

I and DW both got our n400 interview at Hartford CT at 11:10am, 4/28. The n400 is filed based on 5 year stay after EB3 GC that was approved in Feb-2018.

Questions (if anyone knows):

1. Does anyone fail in the interview? For what reasons? I am hoping to just memorize the 100 Q&A - so not too worried about that. Any other pitfalls?

2. What are our chances of same-day oath?

3. If we do get same day oath, how long do we need to plan to stay there? We have to arrange childcare appropriately.

On 3/19/2023 at 3:33 PM, PM&MM said:

Does anyone fail in the interview? For what reasons? I am hoping to just memorize the 100 Q&A - so not too worried about that. Any other pitfalls?

Make sure to answer the civics questions with the exact words from the guide.  There's a recent report of someone who failed the interview because they paraphrased the answers.  Do NOT paraphrase.

More questions...

What are the documents we should carry to the interview?

We are applying under the 5-year rule. So it seems to me that the only things they may want are tax transcripts. 

Whatever document we need, should we upload them in the USCIS website now? Or take hard copies and show in the interview?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Syria
Timeline

Do you know if you your oath ceremony was judicial (done by a judge) or administrative (done by a USCIS Officer? I have read that if you do a name change it has to be done in a ceremony with a judge. I passed my interview and have a name change — waiting for my oath ceremony to be scheduled, just wondering how often they do judicial ceremonies in Connecticut. 

On 4/30/2023 at 3:37 AM, PM&MM said:

Status updated to "Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed" on 4/29/2023, which is a Saturday. Oath date is 5/10/2023.

Looks like USCIS is working during Saturday! Kudos to them.

I am so relieved to be approaching the end of the tunnel after a 19.5 year immigration journey!

Congratulations!

57 minutes ago, ET9709 said:

Do you know if you your oath ceremony was judicial (done by a judge) or administrative (done by a USCIS Officer? I have read that if you do a name change it has to be done in a ceremony with a judge. I passed my interview and have a name change — waiting for my oath ceremony to be scheduled, just wondering how often they do judicial ceremonies in Connecticut. 

Congratulations!

Thank you.

Ours was administrative. Oath was administered by a USCIS officer, and no judge was present.

I don't know how frequently the judicial oath are administered.

Ours was scheduled @8am and we were done by 9:30, albeit we hung around a bit longer to take pictures, ask some questions etc. After us, another oath ceremony was scheduled @11 on that same day.

The USCIS official apologized for the lack of pomp and ceremony, but then commented that they are trying to increase throughput as much as possible between same-day oath, other administrative oath, and judicial oath. He did not get into any more detail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.