Jered

Question (I-130): Is an Uber driver an acceptable occupation?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi everyone! I’m new here and learning the ropes. When filling out the I-130, I’m stuck on figuring out if submitting my current employment as self employed at Uber technologies is acceptable enough if I’m making more than the income requirements as stated in the guides forum? Also, do I have to provide proof of my new job in the future during this whole process?

I’m recently married March of 2023 to my wonderful wife in Japan. I completed my military career mid last year, looking for a job in software engineering and now just been driving Uber and making it work out. No luck out here yet but I’m still looking for a job that beats the income of driving Uber out here in Hawaii. I also have a business on the side that is starting out but not a lot of revenue coming in yet. Driving Uber along with my business and non-taxable income through the VA, I’m making 2 to 3 times the minimum income requirement. I don’t think there is a problem with income but I’m also not sure if this is an acceptable occupation in USCIS’s eyes as it’s not a “stable job”.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, Jered said:

Hi everyone! I’m new here and learning the ropes. When filling out the I-130, I’m stuck on figuring out if submitting my current employment as self employed at Uber technologies is acceptable enough if I’m making more than the income requirements as stated in the guides forum? Also, do I have to provide proof of my new job in the future during this whole process?

I’m recently married March of 2023 to my wonderful wife in Japan. I completed my military career mid last year, looking for a job in software engineering and now just been driving Uber and making it work out. No luck out here yet but I’m still looking for a job that beats the income of driving Uber out here in Hawaii. I also have a business on the side that is starting out but not a lot of revenue coming in yet. Driving Uber along with my business and non-taxable income through the VA, I’m making 2 to 3 times the minimum income requirement. I don’t think there is a problem with income but I’m also not sure if this is an acceptable occupation in USCIS’s eyes as it’s not a “stable job”.

Self Employed Uber driver is an acceptable "occupation" when filing the petition.  Yes, you'll need to qualify as sponsor about a year from now when the petition is already approved.  Note that your self employment income is not "income" until it appears on a tax return.  Until then, it is "revenue".  Income is revenue minus business expenses.  You have many expenses related to automobile and other expenses to deduct before you can call it "income" in an immigration context.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.