Helen Quail

One under 18 (split)

18 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Helen Quail said:
6 hours ago, Mike E said:

Therein lies the problem.

If you don’t think she qualifies for a state ID with your address then it is hard for you to argue that she is in your physical custody.

What address does her most recent AR-11 use?

I didn't think she would be considered as in my physical custody until you raised that issue. I gave her current address in the AR11.

So back to where I began - what would be the process for her?

You should consider your child as in YOUR legal and physical custody, for the simple fact that you have those family court orders . .a minor attending a 4 year fancy boarding (high school) or a military style boot camp or a treatment facility still has only one permanent home address: the parent /legal guardian.

You get to make all the decisions on her behalf ( legal, medical) and should your daughters current -voluntary facility wish to terminate services, your daughter would be returned home to YOU. 

Even the facility’s own records will reflect the child’s permanent/ home  address as yours. 

You should also update ALL her mailing addresses to you, especially a new AR-11 and as @Mike E recommended, get a state id and apply for the passport . If she will be 16 by the time you naturalize , you won’t even need your ex to sign off.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/under-16.html

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline
7 hours ago, Family said:

You should consider your child as in YOUR legal and physical custody, for the simple fact that you have those family court orders . .a minor attending a 4 year fancy boarding (high school) or a military style boot camp or a treatment facility still has only one permanent home address: the parent /legal guardian.

You get to make all the decisions on her behalf ( legal, medical) and should your daughters current -voluntary facility wish to terminate services, your daughter would be returned home to YOU. 

Even the facility’s own records will reflect the child’s permanent/ home  address as yours. 

You should also update ALL her mailing addresses to you, especially a new AR-11 and as @Mike E recommended, get a state id and apply for the passport . If she will be 16 by the time you naturalize , you won’t even need your ex to sign off.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/under-16.html

Got it thanks. That's helpful.

So I am changing the AR11 to my address as a first step. I take your point that the facility will have her/my home base address.

I'm also exploring the requirements for a Texas state ID for a minor. I had no idea about any of this having only just moved to Texas myself and I don't have that in place yet!

She's only just turned 14 so I very much hope she will not be 16 by the time we get to that point!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline
11 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

The way you worded things implied you were divorced from your daughter's father. 

The important thing is that you are the parent with both legal and physical custody, so you should have no issue. Your daughter should acquire citizenship automatically. 

That's what I wanted to clarify. I hear you.  Thanks. Meantime I am updating her address to be the same as mine with AR 11 and wherever I can which makes sense.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.