James1223

Questions on I-130 evidence

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello, just had a few questions regarding the I-130 form. I am submitting it online, and was wondering for the documents that ask for a document with the spouse's name/address in his/her "written language" - does this just mean in their foreign language, or does it mean that the name and address must be written out and then scanned in. Basically - are typed forms okay?

Similarly, for letters of Affidavit, do those have to be written out as well? Or is a typed form okay.

On the immigration part, it asks for a I-94 arrival departure record number - this is asking for a current I-94 number correct? My spouse had one in the past, but it expired like 2 years ago. Do I need to put that information on the form?

Lastly, the secondary evidence stuff is optional correct? There is one area for a letter of admissions from a school. If I (the benefactor)  am in school, should I provide a letter for my admission? Or is that mostly evidence for children or something.

Thank you

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, James1223 said:

Hello, just had a few questions regarding the I-130 form. I am submitting it online, and was wondering for the documents that ask for a document with the spouse's name/address in his/her "written language" - does this just mean in their foreign language, or does it mean that the name and address must be written out and then scanned in. Basically - are typed forms okay?

Similarly, for letters of Affidavit, do those have to be written out as well? Or is a typed form okay.

On the immigration part, it asks for a I-94 arrival departure record number - this is asking for a current I-94 number correct? My spouse had one in the past, but it expired like 2 years ago. Do I need to put that information on the form?

Lastly, the secondary evidence stuff is optional correct? There is one area for a letter of admissions from a school. If I (the benefactor)  am in school, should I provide a letter for my admission? Or is that mostly evidence for children or something.

Thank you

You probably need to read more carefully.  Unless your spouse's native language uses a different alphabet from the ABC's, that section is not applicable.  If you complete your profile, we'll be able to answer better.  Some questions are only applicable if you've answered yes to a previous question.  Pay attention to the "tense".  Many questions are asked in the present tense.  The ones that aren't are pretty obvious.  Before you start, how about downloading the actual PDF I-130 instructions.  They walk you through every step.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

You probably need to read more carefully.  Unless your spouse's native language uses a different alphabet from the ABC's, that section is not applicable.  If you complete your profile, we'll be able to answer better.  Some questions are only applicable if you've answered yes to a previous question.  Pay attention to the "tense".  Many questions are asked in the present tense.  The ones that aren't are pretty obvious.  Before you start, how about downloading the actual PDF I-130 instructions.  They walk you through every step.

Thanks for the help again! I will complete my profile soon, sorry about that.

Yes, my spouse's native language uses the Chinese alphabet, so I figured that section would be applicable for me.

It reads:

If the beneficiary's native written language does not use Roman letters, upload a document with his or her name and foreign address in their native written language. If you have a text or word processing document you would like to submit for evidence, send us a PDF version of the file. When saving your file, select PDF as the file type to save.

I wanted to make sure that even though it says "native written language" that a typed document would be still okay, as the next line "if you have a text or word processing document" seems to imply that a typed version is fine.

Regarding the Affidavits, there are two sections that mention them.

One reads:

Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship. Each affidavit must contain the full name and address of the person making the affidavit; date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit; and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage

the other reads:

If records like those described above are not available, then you may submit two or more written statements from individuals who were living at the time and who have personal knowledge of the event you are trying to prove, such as the date and place of birth, marriage, or death. The individuals making the written statements do not have to be U.S. citizens.

One of them indicates a written statement whereas the other one does not. I was wondering if similarly to before, they wanted it physically written out or if a typed version is okay.

Also a separate question - I understand that chat-logs are not considered amazing evidence, and no guarantee that the officers will even look, but if we do send in chat logs, should they be translated? Again, my partner and I write in a mix of Chinese/English, and I am more than comfortable translating it - but I did see in the instructions that "all documents must be verified by a translator." Does this include chat logs? I've looked at previous VisaJourney posts and it seems like it's not required, but I just wanted to double check.

Similarly, my spouse is having one of his friends write a letter of affidavit as well, I have translated it but again, didn't know if I needed to have an authorized translator do the translation.

Thank you for the help.

47 minutes ago, James1223 said:

I wanted to make sure that even though it says “native written language" that a typed document would be still okay, as the next line "if you have a text or word processing document"

Yes, of course you can use a typed document. You’re reading the word ‘written’ out of its context. Written is referring to the alphabet of the native language, not physically writing something onto a piece of paper. And the ‘text or word processing document’ part is just referring to file type, i.e make sure it’s in the proper format, specifically a pdf. 

Timeline
Just now, BLC said:

Yes, of course you can use a typed document. You’re reading the word ‘written’ out of its context. Written is referring to the alphabet of the native language, not physically writing something onto a piece of paper. And the ‘text or word processing document’ part is just referring to file type, i.e make sure it’s in the proper format, specifically a pdf. 

That's how I interpreted it as well. But just wanted to be safe than sorry. Thank you!

Timeline
5 hours ago, James1223 said:

That's how I interpreted it as well. But just wanted to be safe than sorry. Thank you!

The PDF version of the I-130 allows you to type the Chinese Characters into the fields.  If the online version doesn't, just make sure to follow the format of the form itself.

Don't submit any affidavits.  Read those instructions again and you'll see a list of possible kinds of evidence but the list follows the words, "In addition to the required...." meaning NOT requited.  Concentrate on evidence of time spent together in person.  It's the strongest possible relationship evidence.

There won't BE any unavailable documents.  Get what you need from the Gong Zheng Chu if they are official Chinese documents.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
3 hours ago, pushbrk said:

The PDF version of the I-130 allows you to type the Chinese Characters into the fields.  If the online version doesn't, just make sure to follow the format of the form itself.

Don't submit any affidavits.  Read those instructions again and you'll see a list of possible kinds of evidence but the list follows the words, "In addition to the required...." meaning NOT requited.  Concentrate on evidence of time spent together in person.  It's the strongest possible relationship evidence.

There won't BE any unavailable documents.  Get what you need from the Gong Zheng Chu if they are official Chinese documents.

• Documentation showing joint ownership of property
  • A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence, meaning you both live at the same address together
  • Documentation showing that you and your spouse have combined your financial resources
  • Birth certificates of children born to you and your spouse together
  • Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship. Each affidavit must contain the full name and address of the person making the affidavit; date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit; and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage
  • Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union

Unfortunately we do not have any joint ownership or property. We do not currently live together either. We have no children.

We were going to submit the Affidavits in addition to plane tickets/itineraries/hotel reservations that showed us spending time together. The closest we have to "official" documentation of joint lives together, other than the travel, is that he is an authorized user on my credit card. I am planning on reaching out to the bank to see if I can get that in a letter, if not, I will just take pictures of our two cards and upload that as proof.

That's why I was wondering if the letter of affidavit could be typed, or if it had to be hand written. In addition, if it is written in Chinese, is it appropriate to self-translate it. Thank you.

Timeline
7 hours ago, James1223 said:

• Documentation showing joint ownership of property
  • A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence, meaning you both live at the same address together
  • Documentation showing that you and your spouse have combined your financial resources
  • Birth certificates of children born to you and your spouse together
  • Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship. Each affidavit must contain the full name and address of the person making the affidavit; date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit; and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage
  • Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union

Unfortunately we do not have any joint ownership or property. We do not currently live together either. We have no children.

We were going to submit the Affidavits in addition to plane tickets/itineraries/hotel reservations that showed us spending time together. The closest we have to "official" documentation of joint lives together, other than the travel, is that he is an authorized user on my credit card. I am planning on reaching out to the bank to see if I can get that in a letter, if not, I will just take pictures of our two cards and upload that as proof.

That's why I was wondering if the letter of affidavit could be typed, or if it had to be hand written. In addition, if it is written in Chinese, is it appropriate to self-translate it. Thank you.

In the PDF instructions, you'll see the words "In addition to the required...." preceding that list.  What you do have from that list is the last item.  "Any other...." which is the evidence of time spent together in person. Primary evidence is passport stamps and boarding passes.  Photos together are good too, but they are secondary to the primary evidence.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
29 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

In the PDF instructions, you'll see the words "In addition to the required...." preceding that list.  What you do have from that list is the last item.  "Any other...." which is the evidence of time spent together in person. Primary evidence is passport stamps and boarding passes.  Photos together are good too, but they are secondary to the primary evidence.

image.png.3badbc68e4064cc3689991ad239e7123.png

On the online form, this is what it says. I assume that these options the "required evidence." This is why I am trying to include the Affidavit letters. While I understand that the "any other relevant document..." may hold more weight, I think it may be better to include some extra material as I do not have other "strong" evidence such a joint lease, life insurance, etc. 

I just wanted to know if the letter of affidavit could be typed, or if it had to be hand written. In addition, if it is written in Chinese, is it appropriate to self-translate it. Thank you.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, James1223 said:

image.png.3badbc68e4064cc3689991ad239e7123.png

On the online form, this is what it says. I assume that these options the "required evidence." This is why I am trying to include the Affidavit letters. While I understand that the "any other relevant document..." may hold more weight, I think it may be better to include some extra material as I do not have other "strong" evidence such a joint lease, life insurance, etc. 

I just wanted to know if the letter of affidavit could be typed, or if it had to be hand written. In addition, if it is written in Chinese, is it appropriate to self-translate it. Thank you.

I know.  That's why I'm referring you to the PDF instructions.  NONE of those items is required, but it's good to upload the evidence of time spent together, you know, probably the only one of the above you actually have.  Do note the word "should" is used, not "must".  There's just one little section of the PDF text that is missing from the above.  When you read it, you will understand.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

3 minutes ago, James1223 said:

While I understand that the "any other relevant document..." may hold more weight, I think it may be better to include some extra material as I do not have other "strong" evidence such a joint lease, life insurance, etc. 

@pushbrk already advised you that passport stamps and boarding passes are considered primary evidence, with photos together being good supporting evidence.  Unless you somehow lost your passport, it's very likely that you do have the primary evidence already mentioned.

Timeline
1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

I know.  That's why I'm referring you to the PDF instructions.  NONE of those items is required, but it's good to upload the evidence of time spent together, you know, probably the only one of the above you actually have.  Do note the word "should" is used, not "must".  There's just one little section of the PDF text that is missing from the above.  When you read it, you will understand.

I understand that it is not required. But I am still planning on submitting it, in addition to the other documentation (passport stamps, boarding passes, other secondary evidence that shows we were together physically), since it says that I can submit more than one. I just wanted to know if the letter could be typed (with a hand-written signature) and if I needed to find a translator it if it were in Chinese, or if I could just self-translate it. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Chancy said:

@pushbrk already advised you that passport stamps and boarding passes are considered primary evidence, with photos together being good supporting evidence.  Unless you somehow lost your passport, it's very likely that you do have the primary evidence already mentioned.

I am planning on submitting those, I just wanted to submit the letters as well, as it gives me the option to submit multiple.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Chancy said:

The OP is laboring under a misconception because the online instructions are missing the words "In addition to the required" and he has misinterpreted the word "should" to mean "must".  This misconception is also why he's not believing me. LOL

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
1 minute ago, James1223 said:

I understand that it is not required. But I am still planning on submitting it, in addition to the other documentation (passport stamps, boarding passes, other secondary evidence that shows we were together physically), since it says that I can submit more than one. I just wanted to know if the letter could be typed (with a hand-written signature) and if I needed to find a translator it if it were in Chinese, or if I could just self-translate it. Thanks!

I am planning on submitting those, I just wanted to submit the letters as well, as it gives me the option to submit multiple.

Sometimes less is more.  Unless these "letters" describe the authors' intimate observations of how your relationship developed over time, they can actually make you look desperate.  Makes no difference really, as long as you have the real evidence already.  If it makes you happy to submit letters, do it.  But don't labor under the misconception it will actually help.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

The OP is laboring under a misconception because the online instructions are missing the words "In addition to the required" and he has misinterpreted the word "should" to mean "must".  This misconception is also why he's not believing me. LOL

I believe you in that the letter is not required. I am not arguing that it is required. But it is something that I can submit, so I don't see why not. Unless you know of applications that were tossed out because they submitted too much evidence?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.