57 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well we're getting a divorce. We are splitting amicably and thus it is not a terrible battle involving lawyers and money and hitmen. I've read that this will not adversey affect my status as a PR, and that I will now have to wait 5 years before I can file for citizenship instead of 3. I did have some questions though. What now happens to my (ex) wife and her mother's responsibility as a sponsor to me? Are they still obligated? Is there a way to lift this? Does it really matter?

Sigh...I haven't been back to these forums for many months and am wondering how some of you are doing, what has changed in your lives. PM me, I'd like to hear how you're all doing.

On the upside work is going really well. I've been at my job since Nov 8, and LOVE it. It's the first job I've had that I actually enjoy, and look forward to waking up for in the morning. I am currently a contractor but hoping to be offered an FTE position soon, if not before year's end.

Anyway...hope you're all doing well.

-Julian

[timeline]

Get this album now!

"The relations with, uhh — Europe are important relations, and they've, uhh — because, we do share values. And, they're universal values, they're not American values or, you know — European values, they're universal values. And those values — uhh — being universal, ought to be applied everywhere." —George W. Bush, at a press conference with European Union dignitaries, Washington, D.C., June 20, 2005 LOL

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The I-864 obligation that your sponsor has does not go away until you:

1) Pay into Social Security for 40 quarters (a total of 10 years of employment);

2) Become a naturalized citizen of the USA;

3) Leave the USA permanently; or,

4) Die (probably just as well that your divorce is an amicable one)

Divorce is specifically mentioned on the I-864 as not removing the obligation of the sponsor(s). If you draw any public benefits, the sponsors might have to pay the government back. Knowing Washington state, I would bet that repayment would be actively and aggressively pursued.

I have been to Anacortes many times. I used to live in Oak Harbor.

Edited by Alcurin

If you think you waited a long time for the immigration process, how about one YEAR to get I-130 approval (and then just add another year for the interview)!

IR-1/IR-2 approval on 9 March 2006 / Visas delivered 21 March 2006

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Nice to hear from you but sorry about the divorce. I am still hanging around awaiting our visa. Last I heard you landed a job and was showing off pics of your new puppy. Take care of yourself.

Mary

Edited to say the above post is correct on the sponsorship information. And if you move you must notify the proper authorities with the AR11 form.

Edited by mianishqsrose

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Well we're getting a divorce. We are splitting amicably and thus it is not a terrible battle involving lawyers and money and hitmen. I've read that this will not adversey affect my status as a PR, and that I will now have to wait 5 years before I can file for citizenship instead of 3. I did have some questions though. What now happens to my (ex) wife and her mother's responsibility as a sponsor to me? Are they still obligated? Is there a way to lift this? Does it really matter?

Sigh...I haven't been back to these forums for many months and am wondering how some of you are doing, what has changed in your lives. PM me, I'd like to hear how you're all doing.

On the upside work is going really well. I've been at my job since Nov 8, and LOVE it. It's the first job I've had that I actually enjoy, and look forward to waking up for in the morning. I am currently a contractor but hoping to be offered an FTE position soon, if not before year's end.

Anyway...hope you're all doing well.

-Julian

digi, I'm shocked!

But glad to hear that all is friendly; I hope it stays that way.

If you are class CR, you'll have to file the waiver to remove conditions as soon as the divorce is final.

If you are class IR, there is nothing further to do. The impact on immigration will be the change in natz eligibility as you noted.

Retaining evidence of a bonafide marriage is a good idea for anyone; you never know when the question may come up; collect now while it is easier.

The I-864 is in force until you meet one of the conditions (earn 40 qualifying quarters, leave the US permanently, naturalize or die etc). As long as you do not apply for and accept means-tested benefits, your wife and MIL won't even know it's there.

Congrats on the job & I hope all works out well for you in this change.

best,

meauxna

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Other Timeline

Well, Julian, welcome back to VJ. Sorry to hear your news though. I sure don't know any answers to your questions, but I hope we see you back in chat once in a while.

Did you vanish before we married? It was October 15 in case you missed it. I'm seeking better employment - still at the law office for now. Wes got a job last week but it's at a little neighborhood grocery/convenience store so of course the hunt for something more suitable goes on. We had his AOS interview 3/9 but the name check isn't done, so no stamp in the passport and no green card yet.

Glad to see you finally got work. I know that was driving you mad.

julian!!!

like everyone else ... sorry to hear of the news, but i'm glad that you made the decision sooner, rather than later! how come you stil want to stay here though? just curious ...

we're the same and quite happy! drop a pm from time to time or on yahoo!! would love to chat! :thumbs:

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Timeline
sorry about this.

sponsers still obligated til you remove condtions. Divorce dont change that. I waited 2 years for my obligation to be lifted off my ex. thank god his behind got deported < failed to remove the condtions >

The I-864 wasn't discharged because he didn't remove conditions, (if he'd staed illegal in the US that would've done it) but because he left the US permanently (deported).

The I-864 can be in effect for life, and beyond (if the Sponsor dies, the estate is still on the hook).

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

WOW Digi....I don't have any practical advice to offer but I am sorry to hear about the divorce. Hope life is good to you in the future... :thumbs:

Filed: Timeline

Shon wrote;

Sorry about this.

Sponsor's still obligated 'til you remove condtions. Divorce doesn't change that. I waited 2 years for my obligation to be lifted off my ex. Thank God his behind got deported (failed to remove the condtions).

meauxna replied;

The I-864 wasn't discharged because he didn't remove conditions, (if he'd stayed illegal in the US, that would've done it), but because he left the US permanently (deported).

meauxna, shon tried to say exactly what you pointed out, although it doesn't come across that way on her post at first glance. Basically, that if her husband hadn't been deported, she would've had to wait two years before being able to lift her obligation towards him.

Edited by dmartmar

Timeline
Shon wrote;
Sorry about this.

Sponsor's still obligated 'til you remove condtions. Divorce doesn't change that. I waited 2 years for my obligation to be lifted off my ex. Thank God his behind got deported (failed to remove the condtions).

meauxna replied;

The I-864 wasn't discharged because he didn't remove conditions, (if he'd stayed illegal in the US, that would've done it), but because he left the US permanently (deported).

meauxna, shon tried to say exactly what you pointed out, although it doesn't come across that way on her post at first glance. Basically, that if her husband hadn't been deported, she would've had to wait two years before being able to lift her obligation towards him.

d,

Removing conditions from a married person's PR status does NOT kill the I-864. Neither does divorce.

Leaving the US permanently, becoming a citizen or dying does. Or earning enough quarters of work.

Her post states otherwise.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well nice to hear from you Julian. :)

Sorry to hear about your divorce. I hope you are both doing OK. (F)

Glad you are loving your new job, thats a bonus for you.

I just started working last Monday, and I really like it so far.

Keep in touch with us if you can.

Be nice to see you in chat sometime soon

Take Care

Peggy :)

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: Timeline
d,

Removing conditions from a married person's PR status does NOT kill the I-864. Neither does divorce.

Leaving the US permanently, becoming a citizen or dying does. Or earning enough quarters of work.

I already know all of this. Thanks for refreshing my memory anyway.

Her post states otherwise.

As stated before, I read her post differently. To me it says that b/c her husband was deported, she was let off the hook earlier.

Only Shon can clear this up for us.

Edited by dmartmar

Timeline
Only Shon can clear this up for us.

I'm responding the part of shon's post that says:

"sponsers still obligated til you remove condtions." That's not ambiguous, just wrong. No sense confusing everyone :)

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.