Gami19

Getting Canadian Citizen when NVC is in process

3 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

I'm curious if anyone has experienced a situation like this before.

I am a citizen of the United States and have requested IR1 consular processing for my wife, who is of Indian descent but resides in Canada.
She recently got a call to take the Canadian Oath Ceremony, so next month she will change her citizenship status from Indian to Canadian.
We are currently in the NVC process, and are hoping to get an interview letter soon. 

I am trying to search online, but cannot find a specific process on what should i do next in terms of NVC.
Should she undergo a medical examination based on her Indian or Canadian passport? Do I Have to Upload My Documents to the NVC Website?
Will her change of nationality affect the processing time?

Any help , link or experience on this situation is helpful

48 minutes ago, Gami19 said:

I am trying to search online, but cannot find a specific process on what should i do next in terms of NVC.

After your wife gets her IL and gets her Canadian passport, upload a copy of the passport bio page to CEAC.  I assume your wife wants her IR1 visa to be in her Canadian passport?  She should bring her Indian passport to the visa interview as well.

On the day of her interview, she should update the DS-260 info about other citizenships/nationalities, and add her Canadian passport details.  Make sure to volunteer this new information to the document checker prior to the interview or to the interviewing officer at the consulate in Montreal.

On 1/20/2023 at 3:57 PM, Chancy said:

After your wife gets her IL and gets her Canadian passport, upload a copy of the passport bio page to CEAC.  I assume your wife wants her IR1 visa to be in her Canadian passport?  She should bring her Indian passport to the visa interview as well.

On the day of her interview, she should update the DS-260 info about other citizenships/nationalities, and add her Canadian passport details.  Make sure to volunteer this new information to the document checker prior to the interview or to the interviewing officer at the consulate in Montreal.

Hey Chancy, thanks for the reply!

Here is the situation 

- Her canadian oath ceremony is on 6th Feb, and based upon the timeline from website it will take around 3-4 weeks to get her canadian passport 
- We got interview letter to Montreal on 8th March, so she has to do medical examination, the question is - does she needs to do on Indian or Canadian Passport ? 
If it's canadian, she has to wait for 3-4 weeks and there would be a chance that medical doesnot come on time, 
Should she go medical with Indian Passport ? ? Any thoughts on this ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.