GretaRSB

DCF from Canada - Glitchy process

14 posts in this topic

Has anyone completed Direct Consular Filing through Canada recently? This is not going smoothly.

I completed DCF intake at the US Consulate in Toronto on Sept 22, with document copies express mailed to Montreal, and was told I would hear from Montreal in 4-6 weeks. I finally contacted them after 10 weeks of not hearing, and was given a case number (beginning with MTL) and Packet 3.

Here's where we are stuck. I'm instructed to complete the DS260 through the CEAC website, but cannot login. It doesn't recognize the combination of our case number and my spouse's date of birth. When I use the NVC inquiry form to try to get access, I'm told we are missing a NVC case number or USCIS recept number. We don't have these as we filed through DCF. I'm getting copy/paste answers from Montreal.

Questions:

1. Are we supposed to have received a NVC case number or USCIS receipt number, even though we used DCF?

2. Is there an alternate DS260 process with DCF? We have all the documents together and are ready to go, but can't log in.

3. Would it be helpful to get a lawyer at this point? We couldn't find anyone who had done this recently.

Thanks in advance for any advice or sharing your experiences. I expected we would be through this process in a matter of 2-4 months, but it's been four months and we are hung up. I've already had to start my job in the US, which was the basis for the exception.

58 minutes ago, GretaRSB said:

Has anyone completed Direct Consular Filing through Canada recently? This is not going smoothly.

I completed DCF intake at the US Consulate in Toronto on Sept 22, with document copies express mailed to Montreal, and was told I would hear from Montreal in 4-6 weeks. I finally contacted them after 10 weeks of not hearing, and was given a case number (beginning with MTL) and Packet 3.

Here's where we are stuck. I'm instructed to complete the DS260 through the CEAC website, but cannot login. It doesn't recognize the combination of our case number and my spouse's date of birth. When I use the NVC inquiry form to try to get access, I'm told we are missing a NVC case number or USCIS recept number. We don't have these as we filed through DCF. I'm getting copy/paste answers from Montreal.

Questions:

1. Are we supposed to have received a NVC case number or USCIS receipt number, even though we used DCF?

2. Is there an alternate DS260 process with DCF? We have all the documents together and are ready to go, but can't log in.

3. Would it be helpful to get a lawyer at this point? We couldn't find anyone who had done this recently.

Thanks in advance for any advice or sharing your experiences. I expected we would be through this process in a matter of 2-4 months, but it's been four months and we are hung up. I've already had to start my job in the US, which was the basis for the exception.

Our experience with DCF through another embassy is that we never dealt with NVC.  Everything is turned in to and processed by the embassy that is handling the case.

The IV unit will unfortunately be your only contact.

Edited by iwannaplay54

1 hour ago, iwannaplay54 said:

Our experience with DCF through another embassy is that we never dealt with NVC.  Everything is turned in to and processed by the embassy that is handling the case.

The IV unit will unfortunately be your only contact.

Thank you, this is what I expected. How did you complete the DS260 then (or did you)? It seems to involve supplying a lot of documents that I already supplied to the Consulate.

On 1/18/2023 at 1:19 PM, GretaRSB said:

Thank you, this is what I expected. How did you complete the DS260 then (or did you)? It seems to involve supplying a lot of documents that I already supplied to the Consulate.

We're in the same situation. I emailed everything to Montreal in hopes to DCF, but I heard they don't accept it so I ended up applying for the I-130 online too. I added a ton of proof and a separate document explaining our situation in hopes of expiditing. Do you think my DCF would be void now?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 10:33 AM, GretaRSB said:

Questions:

How did this end up going?

I have a DCF intake at the US Consulate in Toronto on April 6th. I start at the Police Academy on May 1 in Nebraska. We're trying to get as much done as possible and have the RCMP checks under the Privacy Act completed and my wife has her medical exam at the end of February. 

25 minutes ago, MuriCan93 said:

How did this end up going?

I have a DCF intake at the US Consulate in Toronto on April 6th. I start at the Police Academy on May 1 in Nebraska. We're trying to get as much done as possible and have the RCMP checks under the Privacy Act completed and my wife has her medical exam at the end of February. 

Still not moving much. We heard back from Montreal, asking us to send screen shots of the error messages. I sent those, and then followed up 10 days later but didn't hear back. it's been 10 more days. So, we are stuck in tech support limbo with no communication. I know things are slow moving there. FYI, the intake in Toronto went really smoothly, then things are slow with Montreal.

My US job has now started and I'm commuting from Canada to a rented apartment in the US (17 hour drive or two flights). Yeah, so not ideal. I'm thankful for DCF process as a faster alternative, but have no idea how long it will be before I can officially move back to the US and bring my spouse. I would love to hear how your process goes. I will try and post updates as we move through our process as well.

1 minute ago, GretaRSB said:

Still not moving much. We heard back from Montreal, asking us to send screen shots of the error messages. I sent those, and then followed up 10 days later but didn't hear back. it's been 10 more days. So, we are stuck in tech support limbo with no communication. I know things are slow moving there. FYI, the intake in Toronto went really smoothly, then things are slow with Montreal.

My US job has now started and I'm commuting from Canada to a rented apartment in the US (17 hour drive or two flights). Yeah, so not ideal. I'm thankful for DCF process as a faster alternative, but have no idea how long it will be before I can officially move back to the US and bring my spouse. I would love to hear how your process goes. I will try and post updates as we move through our process as well.

Gosh, that sucks. I hope they resolve those technical issues somewhat soon for you. It seems like Toronto is super fast at responding, which is nice. That's good to hear the intake went smooth. I hope it goes good for me to. 

Dang, that's exactly the same amount of time it would take for us too. We live near Sault Ste Marie. Yeah, I will definitely keep you updated. Thanks for replying so fast. We have my daughters CRBA appointment at the end of this month in Ottawa. Maybe I can talk to someone in person there with any questions. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2023 at 12:23 PM, GretaRSB said:

Glad I found this post. I don't have answers for either of you but I had my appointment in Toronto on January 4 and have yet to hear back about Packet 3 (it's been 13 weeks now). I emailed Montreal a few days ago and hopefully will get a case number and Packet 3 as well soon. @GretaSB, do you have any updates now?

Unfortunately I'm in California so coming back to Ontario is harder ( / more expensive). My wife had come to the US with me for a few weeks but the border agents did not like that (eventually let her in for six weeks).

• 2 months later...

Update to my original post:

So it took the involvement of a US senator to get the DS260 process figured out (tech glitch) so we could access it. That went really quickly and then we got a US Consulate appointment two weeks later--too fast to do given that my wife was out of the country and needed to get a medical exam prior to that. We got the next available appointment, and the interview is in two days. If this goes well and we are able to officially move in a month, then it will have been 10 months from initial Consular intake in Toronto to spousal immigration.

I have to say I wouldn't have taken this job if I knew we'd be apart for over half a year. Glad it's moving and appears to be almost done now though. It will be so good to have us and our things all in one place. It's going to take a while to recover financially with all the travel and two homes for so long.

6 hours ago, lepain said:

Congrats, GretaRSB!!

We just received Packet 3 this week. How long after submission of Packet 3 did you then get Packet 4?

I totally agree about not taking the job! Not worth the emotional strain.

It went really fast! We didn't actually get Packet 4, which is an invitation to schedule with the Consulate. They just sent us a date. That's where we ran into a bit of a problem as it didn't work, and they don't reschedule until after it's missed. I hope they actually send you a Packet 4 and you can choose a date that works. I submitted the Packet 3 on a Sunday and heard back from them within a week with an initial interview date of two weeks later; it's also possible that it went that quickly because at that point we had a senator's office intervening. In any case, congratulations on getting to the Packet 3 stage!

• 3 weeks later...

Could someone help clarify how you do a DCF from Canada? I’m a dual US / Canada citizen living with my wife in British Columbia (she’s a Canada PR now). We are starting to look at the green card process. Everything we’ve seen (including the immigrant visa sections of the US Embassy website in Canada) indicates we must file an I-130 via USCIS in the USA. The process takes 2+ years to complete with the final interview in Montreal. Is there another process somewhere?

8 hours ago, PDP11 said:

Could someone help clarify how you do a DCF from Canada? I’m a dual US / Canada citizen living with my wife in British Columbia (she’s a Canada PR now). We are starting to look at the green card process. Everything we’ve seen (including the immigrant visa sections of the US Embassy website in Canada) indicates we must file an I-130 via USCIS in the USA. The process takes 2+ years to complete with the final interview in Montreal. Is there another process somewhere?

Hi and yes, but only for a specific short list of "exceptional circumstances". Do you need to return to the US on short notice for a job? If you have an offer in hand, andit shows you must start in less than 6 months, you can use direct consular filing. You email your US Consulate (ultimately all US immigrant visa processing in Canada is through Montreal, but other consulates can do your I-130 intake as a courtesy). First step would be to email the closest consulate with your situation. If they confirm eligibility they give you a date to show up in person with originals of all documents, a set of copies, your I-130 application and I-130a, and the fee, plus an ExpressPost envelope to send it everything but original docs to Montreal. Can apparently be as quick as 2 months, but ours took 10. Still way faster than applying in the US.

Thanks GretaRSB! That makes sense. And our plans are not urgent so we won’t qualify for DCF.

We were planning to wait a few years; however, the IRS recently lost my wife’s passport with her B1/B2 US tourist visa so we are now forced to reapply for that. And, currently in Canada it takes longer to get an appointment for a tourist visa interview at a U.S. Consulate than the entire green card process. So we figure we might just go down the immigration path now since we eventually plan to move to the U.S. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.