BYRON-LEIDY

PROBLEM!!!!!!!

19 posts in this topic

OK here is my problem...i filed a I129f petition on May 24th...I got my NOA1 and am waiting for my NOA2..Now here is my problem, my fiance's mother is in Canada seeking political assylum...She filed papers 2 years ago tryin g to bring her husband and daughters along with her...My fiance is one of those daughters...Will this affect decisions on my case?????? From what i have read as long as we are honest about it and put it in a letter we should be ok...And further more, the forms were filed 2 yrs ago, my fiance and i met 5 months ago...And her mom filed for her, she didnt do the filing herself....If anyone has any comments or advice , please help me out here!!!!!! :crying:

Not really sure how that might be a problem. Your applying for her to immigrate to the US and not Canada.

Just the point that her name is involved in another process at the same time, and Canada and the US share information if im not mistaken

They don't necessarily share all information. US immigration may not even know about it or care if they do. I think you might be asking for more trouble by volunteering the information, but instead if they do know about it, and they ask questions about it, be honest. There is nothing I know of requiring you to disclose pending visas with other countries.

I have read a TON of forums when it comes to the I129f in Colombia...and one of the things that i have seen the most being said is to be honest and not to withhold information...as a matter fact, on the actual visa application form for her , there is a part that asks wether anyone has ever filed a petition for her or uf she ever applied for a visa herself

I believe this question in the petition means if there is "another US citizen" who has filed a petition for her or if she has has applied for a US visa herself before the filing of the 129F.

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

The DS-156 is looking for information regarding US visa's only.

I just went to my fiance's interview where we turned in our DS-156. My fiance has had previous ties to Canada including attempts to gain residency. None of these were brought up at the interview since they had no relevence to a US visa.

You are not withholding anything by not reporting it. If you reported it as a visa petition, that would be misrepresentation.

If you look at that whole section it is asking only about US visa's...if it suddenly were asking about visa's to other countries, it would state that.

Remember, the DS-156 is a non-immigrant petition, they are just looking to see if the benificiary has immigrant intent. But since you are filing the DS-156k concurrently, there is no need to prove non-immigrant intent.

If you are woried about it. Fill in the form correctly (not listing the Canada petition since it's not required) and just put a letter into your own folder you bring to the interview. If the inerviewer brings it up, you can submit the letter for documentation on the issue. If the interviewer doesn't ask, don't bring it up and don't give him the letter. This is not 'withholding information' in the way that some people forget to list children or things like that on their forms.

There were lot's of things our interviewer didn't ask, that we were just as happy not needing to answer...so we didn't bring them up. We brought home a lot of documentation we had 'just in case' that was never asked for. We were glad we were more than prepared, but also glad we didn't have to explain everything.

Don't give yourself more trouble than you need.

grenada.gifusa.gif

"We owe something to extravagance for thrift and adventure go seldom hand in hand." JJC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
The DS-156 is looking for information regarding US visa's only.

Don't give yourself more trouble than you need.

Ditto.

Sending them information they do not request in this particular instance may get you put in A/R as previously mentioned.

I recently helped my fiancee fill out the DS-156. I reviewed it. While it does not explicitely refer to the US in question 36 from the rest of the form it is easy to assume they are only concerned with US visa applications.

FWIW

03/09/2007 - I-129F sent

03/13/2007 - NOA1

03/24/2007 - Touched

04/07/2007 - Touched

04/19/2007 - Called VSC again - was told my petition was on someone's desk waiting for an RFE clerical entry

04/20/2007 - RFE via website stating they mailed via snail mail- no clue what they need or want

04/23/2007 - Touched ??? the monday after RFE? Why?

05/02/2007 - RFE received (10 days to receive RFE in mail! UGH!!!!)

05/14/2007 - Evidence delivered fedex signed for by A.Scott

05/15/2007 - Touched - Evidence received.

05/16/2007 - Touched

05/17/2007 - Touched

05/18/2007 - Touched

06/04/2007 - NOA2 via website. :)

06/05/2007 - Touched

06/06/2007 - NVC Received from USCIS

06/12/2007 - NVC Left! 6 days at nvc - inluding a weekend!

08/21/2007 - Interview Date - Discovered on 06/25/2007 by looking with MOS number on Embassy website

08/22/2007 - Actual Interview date - PASSED (Interview delayed one day due to delay in medical exam results.)

08/30/2007 - Entered USA @ JFK

11/10/2007 - MARRIED!

12/28/2007 - Filed AOS, EAD, and AP

01/07/2008 - NOA1 AOS, AP, EAD

01/25/2008 - Biometrics appointment

02/25/2008 - AOS, EAD approved/received

03/18/2008 - AOS interview - Approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Unless asked, you have no reason to share information regarding legal processes in another country. The US and Canada and the Columbian Embassy don't have a big sit down to see how they can nab would-be immigrants. If your relationship is legitimate and you can provide the required proof at the petition and interview stage, then you have little to worry about.

Answer the questions asked. Seems like simple advice, but it trips people up all the time. At no point on any forms are you asked about your applications in OTHER countries. The US wants to know what you've done under US law to this point: visas applied for, etc.

For that matter, past applications/denials for tourist or other forms of US visas seldom negatively impact a K visa.

You'll be fine. If you're very concerned, however, you need to contact a qualified immigration attorney. Probably one in Canada, for that matter.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.