Mattmhdi

J1 Advisory opinion

4 posts in this topic

I am a J1 visa holder, and I have submitted my request for an advisory opinion about 2.5 months ago to the department of state. I've checked the status of my request online and as of 3 weeks ago I found the status to be 'Not Subject' to the two-year residence as I expected. Since 3 weeks ago however, I am not able to see any mail to include the letter of advisory which has been concerning to me. The process is typically completed within 8 weeks according to the department of state website for J1 advisory opinion letter. 

Is there any phone number I could contact to check the status of my request? There is an email address which I have written to check the status but I have not received any response as of yet. 

Any context on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

read the rule governing this

This requirement is part of U.S. law, in the Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 212(e).

I would print out that status post as i believe it is the only answer u will get 

print it out to protect yourself and keep it in a safe place

@JeanneAdil Thanks for your reply. Indeed, I need an official letter in order to provide to the USCIS as part of the RFE for my I-131 for travel authorization for my adjustment of status. I don't believe USCIS would accept a printout of the online status. they have in fact requested a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of the advisory letter document.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Mattmhdi said:

@JeanneAdil Thanks for your reply. Indeed, I need an official letter in order to provide to the USCIS as part of the RFE for my I-131 for travel authorization for my adjustment of status. I don't believe USCIS would accept a printout of the online status. they have in fact requested a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of the advisory letter document.  

then it will come 

time limit for the RFE to respond ?

helps to know RFE is part of your issue

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.