JessCauz

CRBA or passport which route should I take?

6 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I am currently on the US. Embassy website and it is saying:

"(Note: It is not necessary to obtain a CRBA. If it is more convenient, you may apply for a passport in lieu of a CRBA. In Canada, please consult the Apply for a Passport section of this website. In the United States, you may apply at any passport acceptance agency. Consult the State Department website to find the passport acceptance agency closest to you.)"

If we just file for the passport can she still get a SSN as the passport would prove her citizenship. She just turned 16. I'm thinking the passport route may be more cost effective, easier and less time consuming.

Here is the link to the site where i am quoting my information if it helps:

https://ca.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/

Thanks so much! 

7 minutes ago, JessCauz said:

Hi there,

"(Note: It is not necessary to obtain a CRBA. If it is more convenient, you may apply for a passport in lieu of a CRBA. In Canada, please consult the Apply for a Passport section of this website. In the United States, you may apply at any passport acceptance agency. Consult the State Department website to find the passport acceptance agency closest to you.)"

If we just file for the passport can she still get a SSN as the passport would prove her citizenship. She just turned 16. I'm thinking the passport route may be more cost effective, easier and less time consuming.

Thanks so much! 

Apply for both.

The CRBA might be helpful to your child later on in their life. Sometimes the passport is not sufficient in certain situations. 

Edited by ROK2USA

4 hours ago, JessCauz said:

Hi there,

Thanks so much! 

She doesn't need a US passport to get an SSN.

I wouldn't think that the burden of proof is any less when seeking a US passport vs CRBA.

The CRBA is about $100 and can only be attained before the child turns 18. Afterwards, if the child wants proof of US citizenship it would be the n600. The CRBA is through the state department and you don't have to wait a year or more to get it. The N600 is $1170 and through USCIS with a processing time of over a year. These are proof of US citizenship that do NOT expire.

A lot of people prefer to just apply for a U.S  passport for their kids and have that as proof of U.S. citizenship because it is cheaper but the passport needs to be renewed. 

You can apply for a ssn with a U.S. passport. Your 16 year old must apply in person at a social security office. 

Filed: Timeline
14 hours ago, JessCauz said:

. . .

. . .

My strong recommendation is to do both, as others have advised. 

You have to submit exactly the same supporting documentation for the passport without a CRBA as you would submit for a CRBA application.  The only difference between just a passport application alone and a CRBA & passport application together are the CRBA forms (which are a helpful way to present the required information anyway, IMO) and the $100 CRBA fee.

It can be helpful to have a one-page document that serves as proof of citizenship (the CRBA) that you can use in places where you would normally present a US birth certificate, rather than having to ensure you always have a valid passport when you need to prove citizenship.  Plus, the CRBA proves she was a US citizen from birth, so she will never have to show all the documention on how she obtained citizenship again -- and would likely allow her to run for US President without a lot of hassles if she wanted to!  

Edited by jan22

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.