JedMills

CR1 Interview Backlog - Sydney Consulate

19 posts in this topic

We're currently at the NVC stage, but our documents are due to be reviewed in the next 1-2 weeks, I've been googling endlessly to find out how long we'll be waiting for an interview date at the Sydney Consulate after we've been DQ'd. Hoping some of you could help with the following;

a) Is there a website that shows the wait time? (I know there is for non-immigrant visa interviews at the Sydney Consulate)

b) How quickly have people been moving from the DQ stage to having an interview set up in Sydney? (Particularly since the consulate has reopened).

c) Once we're DQ'd is it worthwhile ringing the Sydney Consulate greencard phone number to understand wait times? Or will they just give a stock standard response?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jed! I am commenting to get notification of any helpful response too - I was DQ'd last week finally! My partner and I are in the same boat - seems to be no helpful information anywhere regarding the backlog and how quickly it's being cleared and new cases being scheduled.  

Our lawyer has said that he has clients who have been waiting for 6+ months for interview since being DQ which is unfortunate to hear. He has said that he has other cases (K1, Diversity lottery etc) that have been scheduled though, so they're doing something over there. 

Hoping someone who's been scheduled can shed some light for us! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Just posting here in hopes that somebody has heard something as well. My fiancé and I just got DQ'd yesterday so crossing fingers that we all hear back sometime soon.

There is a group on facebook called 'K-1 and CR-1 Visa Process for Aussies'. It has really good information with lots of people waiting for embassy interviews.

It looks like a lot of K1 interviews have been scheduled for August. No IR1/CR1 ones yet though

Edited by webber777

Timeline

Thanks for the recommendation. I will have to join that group so I can keep up to date there. Glad to hear that some interviews have been happening - though wish it was for all groups. It was very disheartening to hear that the consulate was closed and can only imagine what kind of backlog they have.

I am in that group as well. I'm still waiting for NOA2 but I'm watching this and it's sooooo disheartening that there's probably another huge wait coming up due to the delays at Sydney consulate.

• 1 month later...

My wife has received DQ in early Aug, we're literally shocked to see the severe backlog of IR1/CR1 interviews in Sydney. 

Many consulates in the world have been up to speed, e.g., Montreal Canada currently it seems only 1-2 mo b/w DQ and interview letter.

I am writing a letter to my senator to complain -- there's literally no way this back-up is fair or acceptable. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Melissa12 said:

Just an update on my end - My fiancé's interview is scheduled for the 25th of October with the medical on the 30th of October in Sydney

That's awesome congrats!! Can I ask when you were DQed?

Timeline
2 hours ago, Chanel H. said:

That's awesome congrats!! Can I ask when you were DQed?

Thank you! We are very excited 

We were DQ'd on July 17th, 22. Our interview was scheduled a month later on August 18th, 22

While there is still a bit of wait - things seem to finally be moving since we passed the NOA2 stage

7 minutes ago, Melissa12 said:

Thank you! We are very excited 

We were DQ'd on July 17th, 22. Our interview was scheduled a month later on August 18th, 22

While there is still a bit of wait - things seem to finally be moving since we passed the NOA2 stage

Wow that is a lot faster than it seems to be going based on the Facebook group. If we get our interview in that amount of time then I could be home by like February  😳 Did you have an expedite?

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Chanel H. said:

Wow that is a lot faster than it seems to be going based on the Facebook group. If we get our interview in that amount of time then I could be home by like February  😳 Did you have an expedite?

Yeah I have noticed a lot of people are experiencing delays in the Facebook group - not too sure why :( It's really horrible how backlogged our immigration system is.

I am a K1 visa which might be why it's faster (people in the Facebook group mentioned K1s were getting interviews) - but not too sure. We didn't do any expedites and we didn't use an attorney so I've been pleasantly surprised at how easily it has gone so far (albeit lengthy). I had posted in this thread initially ages ago hoping to hear something as I wasn't in the Facebook group and the forums were so quiet.

I had anticipated him moving around March of 2023 but we are now expecting his move in early November as people in the Facebook group seem to say that it takes a couple weeks after the medical/interview to get the approval/rejection notice and then some time for getting the visa in hand - though I think my fiancé arranged to pick it up so that shouldn't take too long.

I hope that you hear back in your process soon! Being separated and away from home for so long is hard. It's good to finally see some movement in the Consulate though. I was very concerned several months ago when they were still closed.

Edited by Melissa12

Sydney consulate posted this on their Facebook, I'm excited if they give us this information consistently rather than us all guessing based on users reporting their DQ and interview dates.

306945932_461715829323118_7229644658483568750_n.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.