Kalehua

Vacation in Tunisia with fiancé

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Sorry if this message is too late for your booking, but my fiance is also from Algeria and we vacationed throughout Tunisia for 45 days using Airbnb. I too was aware of the issues of being able to stay together while not being married, but found that was easy to navigate through Airbnb. When looking at your options, there will be a tab that says "house rules" and under that it will usually say if a certificate is required or not. Most places are pretty laid back, but just be aware to actually look for that tab instead of expecting that to be indicated in the post (in my experience it never said in the description of the rental, I had to look at the "house rules" section at the bottom to know.    

Also, another indicator is to see where the host lives, how many other airbnbs they have, and also read the reviews. Most of the time if the host has multiple Airbnbs or lives in another country, the host won't even be on site to check you in, so you don't have to worry about any certificate or any other issues. Also, the reviews are a very helpful indicator to see if they have past couples complimenting them on their stay, then you know you are in the clear also. 

Hope that helps, and best of luck!

Timeline

Not too late. Thank you for all the info regarding Airbnb. I’ve actually never booked with them and I learned a lot from your post. 

I did email one Airbnb host and explained our situation and he said we would be welcomed. So it’s definitely a back up plan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 11:10 AM, Kalehua said:

My fiancé is from Algeria and I’m the US citizen. We met in person for the first time in January of this year. (50 days together.) We started the K-1 process in March.

We are wanting to take a vacation together in Tunisia at one of the All-inclusive hotels in Sousse. My only concern is that we might run into problems with the hotel because we are not married and my fiancé is from North Africa. One of the hotels I was considering was the Movenpick but then I read a review that an unmarried couple was asked to show their marriage certificate.

I would like to be able to use the hotel as evidence for the immigration process so having both our names on the hotel information would be important. 

For people with experience staying at or have knowledge regarding these hotels, do you see us running into problems regarding this? 

I think if you stay in a touristy place like the capital they won't really ask for it. Different case if you are staying somewhere in the villages. I also think if you are "American passing" and christian they will give you more leeway. 

Edited by rocky95

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Thank you everyone that took the time to reply. I just returned from Tunisia a few days ago. We stayed in an Airbnb in Tunis for a couple days each on arrival and departure. Then we went down to Sousse for 11 days and stayed at an all inclusive hotel.

No problems at all regarding us not being married. I did contact the Airbnb host before hand and explained our situation and she said it wasn’t a problem. I also contacted the hotel and explained the same and they also said we could stay in one room together. Thankfully, it all worked out. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.