DK999

Can we use the same DS-160 for multiple consulates?

31 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Technically, the same DS-160 can be used.  But the MRV fee has to be paid again - the fee is tied to the consulate and is not transferrable.

Some consulates allow non-residents to interview for visas, but this typically take a while.  This "group" has the lowest priority and may not be able to schedule an interview for a year or more.

My nephew had an interview scheduled for Kyiv for a B2.  When I tried to transfer my nephew's application, I contacted Lithuania and Slovakia.  Lithuania allowed Ukrainian applications as a special case, but the fee had to be paid through one of two local banks.   The closest branch was about 10 km from the Polish-Lithuanian border.  Slovakia also allowed transfers for Ukrainians, but said that interviews were not available currently for non-residents - my nephew needed a Slovakia address to be able to get an interview slot in the next month or so.  

The hurdle that I saw was that the DS-160 had to be updated if any information changed.  Technically the same DS-160 can be used, but in reality the DS-160 would be updated with a new current address if trying to get an interview in certain consulates/embassies that only allows interviews for those residing in-country.  Updating the DS-160 doesn't cost anything.   A new MRV fee will need to be paid to be able to schedule an interview.

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm also finding out that the interview wait times listed on state dept website can vary wildly from what they really are according to the consulate's scheduling app. Seems like these systems need a huge overhaul. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.