hadyu

Criminal check from 3 nations...

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Good day all,

I'm a 28 year old Canadian male. As a background, I'm engaged to a lovely American girl and we are planning the move to the United States shortly. I have two university degrees (bachelor and masters) and am an accomplished journalist. I have no criminal record of any kind.

We have no preference on how and when we marry, but would like to speed the process. We assume that the K1 is fastest. Are we correct?

I've lived in Seoul, Singapore and Alberta, Canada. I see that for the K1 visa, I need a criminal record check from all places lived. Is this right?

So, for those of you who have lived in many nations, how do I get a check from Canada or Korea while outside of those nations? I live in Singapore now, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Is there one aggregated check I can use? INTERPOL? Or, are Canadians under a different set of rules?

Thanks all,

BD.

My fiance has lived all over including Seoul. Actually we met in Seoul. He's British and is going through this process of criminal background checks. He is calling the nearest embassies or consulates. For example he is in Oman now and he's calling the Korean, German, Portugese, Bangladeshi, and a few others.

Some countries don't even give one! He's a little worried that he might have to actually fy to a couple of these countries. Sure! We have plenty of money! LOL I hope there's a way around that. He's working in the Persian Gulf area so I'm a little nervous about it all.

I just applied for a home loan and they noticed that he's been wiring me money from that area (to help me buy the house) and it just got a lot more complicated. They are demanding all kinds of information and want him to send various paperwork and make sworn statements....that frankly is none of their business. He's not on the deed or the loan application. Is it just corporate greed, an overreaction or are we elementary school teachers in Virginia on a terrorist watch list?

Okay, now I'm just being a smart alec but you all know my frustration with the whole process. Anyway, all of you be careful wiring money into your sweetie's bank account. Maybe Western Union would be better.

If you find there is one source you can contact about these criminal background checks or something to make it easier please e-mail me. Anyway, I hope my info at least helped a little.

Good day all,

I'm a 28 year old Canadian male. As a background, I'm engaged to a lovely American girl and we are planning the move to the United States shortly. I have two university degrees (bachelor and masters) and am an accomplished journalist. I have no criminal record of any kind.

We have no preference on how and when we marry, but would like to speed the process. We assume that the K1 is fastest. Are we correct?

I've lived in Seoul, Singapore and Alberta, Canada. I see that for the K1 visa, I need a criminal record check from all places lived. Is this right?

So, for those of you who have lived in many nations, how do I get a check from Canada or Korea while outside of those nations? I live in Singapore now, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Is there one aggregated check I can use? INTERPOL? Or, are Canadians under a different set of rules?

Thanks all,

BD.

Sheila and John

• 5 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Read at www.travel.state.gov for information on obtaining police certificates and the nations exempt from this requirement.

This link will get you a little closer

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3272.html

YMMV

Filed: Other Timeline
Read at www.travel.state.gov for information on obtaining police certificates and the nations exempt from this requirement.

This link will get you a little closer

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3272.html

Doesn't hurt for them to learn how to use the site by looking on their own.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I lived in Korea for 2.5 years.

This is what the site says about Korea:

Korean National Police Certificate (KNCP) is available to visa applicants of any nationality who are physically present in South Korea. The new KNPC now includes all serious crimes since 1945, regardless of expungement benefits under Korean law, and misdemeanors for five years, according to the Individual Information Protection Law of March 2003.

Applicants presently in Korea: Foreign nationals, regardless of visa status, and Korean citizens must apply in person at any local police station. The KNP checks non-Koreans according to the requestor's Korean alien registration card or passport. Korean citizens must show a Korean identity card with the Korean citizen's unique, lifetime Korean identification number, which is found on Korean national identity cards and Korean passports adjacent to the applicant's name. KNPC processing is no fee and takes less than one hour. The new KNPC bears a red ink half inch square stamp on the bottom containing the Korean characters for National Police. It is issued in Korean only and applicants must attach a complete English translation, certified as true and correct by anyone competent in Korean and English, for the visa interview. A simple computer printout of criminal records is issued with the Korean annotation for information only, has no red ink stamp and is not a KNPC for visa purposes.

Applicants outside of Korea: Unavailable.

Sooooo, what do I do? Do I have to fly to Seoul? Or, is there a list of states in which one does not need the check?

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
I just applied for a home loan and they noticed that he's been wiring me money from that area (to help me buy the house) and it just got a lot more complicated. They are demanding all kinds of information and want him to send various paperwork and make sworn statements....that frankly is none of their business. He's not on the deed or the loan application. Is it just corporate greed, an overreaction or are we elementary school teachers in Virginia on a terrorist watch list?

Okay, now I'm just being a smart alec but you all know my frustration with the whole process. Anyway, all of you be careful wiring money into your sweetie's bank account. Maybe Western Union would be better.

I would suspect that you do not qualify for the loan on your own.; Since he is another source of your income, and thus, you would qualify for the loan with this steady stream of income. They have a major big interest, so it is their business since they are lending you the money.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline
I think you only need a criminal check from places you have lived for longer then 6 months but I could be wrong...

Some consulates are 6 mos. for foreign PC and others are 1 yr.

YMMV

Timeline
bump..

If it is unavailable outside of Korea does this mean I have to go to Korea?

Best to pose this question to your specific US consulate.... sometimes the consulates of nation can intercede and get documents for you... Check the Korean Embassy/Consulate website in your country for additional info

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.