jaysaldi

Has anyone had trouble boarding a flight to the USA because green card is in MM/DD/YYYY format and card looks "expired"?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
11 hours ago, jaysaldi said:

Interesting thing happened with my wife yesterday checking in for a flight from Boston to Dubai.

Her date of birth is listed on the green card as "17 JUN 1988"  Noe that this is the DD/MM/YYYY format generally used all over the world.

However, green card says issue date is  "12/04/2020"  and expiration date  is "12/04/2022"

Well, you can imagine what happened. At the pre-check in screening, at check in, and at boarding document check we were challenged. Everyone thought the card expired on April 12 (12/04).

Supervisors were called, etc. and they fortunately knew that the US green card expiration date is in MM/DD/YYY format and approved her to board the plane.  

Why the USA uses letters for the month "JUN" on date of birth line but only numbers on the expiration date line, I have no idea.

Why the USA puts date of birth in DD/MM/YYYY and expiration date in MM/DD/YYYY I have no idea.

Have green card holders been denied boarding for this?

Is there a backup I should have for future travel that "proves" the card is not expired and that 12/04/2022 means December 4, 2022? 

I guess the transmittal letter "enclosed is your green card" might show this but I may have thrown that away. Is there any other documentation we could use?

Maybe I missed something, but why is a green card any relevant for a flight from Boston to Dubai? In the other direction, of course it makes sense because it shows the ability of your wife to enter the United States.

The airline check-in agent should only check your wife's ability to enter the UAE, which would be supported by her original country passport and/or, if applicable, a visa for UAE. The green card has nothing to do with entering the UAE, unless I missed something and the UAE deem admissible LPRs of the United States (e.g. I believe you v'can enter Canada showing your green card only).

Edited by VinnyH
typos

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.