Keyser Soze

Child born abroad and confusion about Notarization

4 posts in this topic

Hello there, 

I'm a US citizen that's trying to bring my wife (non-resident, non citizen) and son (born abroad) to the US. I've already received approval for I-130 for my wife but when it comes to child born abroad, I've got some questions. 

I've already filled up DS 5507 and DS 2029 but I'm not sure what pages/segments of those forms require notarization. 

Can someone kindly advise? 

Filed: Timeline
7 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Hello there, 

I'm a US citizen that's trying to bring my wife (non-resident, non citizen) and son (born abroad) to the US. I've already received approval for I-130 for my wife but when it comes to child born abroad, I've got some questions. 

I've already filled up DS 5507 and DS 2029 but I'm not sure what pages/segments of those forms require notarization. 

Can someone kindly advise? 

Will you be with your wife and child at the CRBA interview?  If so, no need for notarization -- don't sign them prior to the interview.  You will sign them in front of the consular officer, who serves as a notary. 

If you won't be there, both the DS-5507 and DS-2029 have one or two places that require notarization, depending on your situation.  If you are tbe US citizen father of a child born out of wedlock, you will need to have the section at the bottom of page three of the DS-5507 and tbe top of page three of the DS-2029 notarized and you should send a photocopy of the ID you used for the notarization.  All US citizen applicants need to have the oath section (attesting that the information on the form is true and correct) of the application (page four of DS-5507 and bottom of page three of DS-2029) notarized and should also include the photocopy of the ID you used.

You didn't mention it, but while you are at the notary, if you will not be at the interview you should also have a DS-3053 notarized and submit it with a copy of your ID docunent.  This is for the US passport application for your child, which requires both parents' signatures. The DS-3053 will serve as your authorization for the issuance of a passport for your child in lieu of your signature at the time of the application.

Edited by jan22

2 hours ago, jan22 said:

Will you be with your wife and child at the CRBA interview?  If so, no need for notarization -- don't sign them prior to the interview.  You will sign them in front of the consular officer, who serves as a notary. 

If you won't be there, both the DS-5507 and DS-2029 have one or two places that require notarization, depending on your situation.  If you are tbe US citizen father of a child born out of wedlock, you will need to have the section at the bottom of page three of the DS-5507 and tbe top of page three of the DS-2029 notarized and you should send a photocopy of the ID you used for the notarization.  All US citizen applicants need to have the oath section (attesting that the information on the form is true and correct) of the application (page four of DS-5507 and bottom of page three of DS-2029) notarized and should also include the photocopy of the ID you used.

You didn't mention it, but while you are at the notary, if you will not be at the interview you should also have a DS-3053 notarized and submit it with a copy of your ID docunent.  This is for the US passport application for your child, which requires both parents' signatures. The DS-3053 will serve as your authorization for the issuance of a passport for your child in lieu of your signature at the time of the application.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I'm in the US. Spouse and son aren't. So I won't be present in the interview. I'm really confused about the part of 2029 and 5507 forms that need to be notarized. I've already filled up 3053 and know what part needs to get notarized. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.