BOKURAGAITA

SSN while AOS

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi VJ,

So im confused and worried about this. My SSN.

Unfortunately, i didn't know that i need to apply my SSN 2 weeks after arriving in the US, however when we fill up the form for my AOS there is a question if i want the USCIS to issue my SSN (i could be wrong the wordings) and i marked YES and 2 weeks and my husband and i was alarmed when he (husband) tried to make me a bank acc

and it need my SSN to go through. 

I have a question and im open for lectures, pls.

I marked yes in my AOS about the SSN, are they gonna issue me my SSN? or I need to apply? 

*I read here that I only need SSN if i work, we file my AOS,AP and Aff of Stat only since ill be staying at home til i get my kids here from PH but I need SSN for bank acc, should i wait for greencard instead? 

Honestly i dont know if i post this in the right page, but any advice will help. Thankyou, Godbless

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi,

I believe you are misinformed about the two weeks.

One of the rights of the K-1 Visa is that it makes you elegible to apply for a SSN.

I believe what has you confused is that people suggest waiting two weeks from the moment you arrive to the US and submitting your application for your SSN: this waiting time is to make sure your I94 (arrival/departure document, they make it at your port of entrance) is uploaded to the central database, which the SSA, the organization that issues the SSN, accesses in order to verify your information.

This means that as long as you entered legally to the US and your I94 is unexpired, you are able to apply and get a Social Security Number.

HOWEVER, since you have already submitted your I-495 AND checked the box that you want to be issued the number, then you just have to wait until your Adjustment of Status is done, which could take a while, as you don't want there to be a duplicate-request issue later one.

By the way, this is what I did: I arrived on the 15th of August, got married on the 19th, and directly applied for my SSN on the 30 of that month. It worked out fine and now I have my number, AoS still pending.

But don't dispair... there are many banks that allow you to get basic bank accounts without a SSN. If this doesn't work out, you can always request an ITIN from the IRS. You can go ahead and google it. This number should work in lieu of the SSN.

Best of luck to you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jules_FP said:

Hi,

I believe you are misinformed about the two weeks.

One of the rights of the K-1 Visa is that it makes you elegible to apply for a SSN.

I believe what has you confused is that people suggest waiting two weeks from the moment you arrive to the US and submitting your application for your SSN: this waiting time is to make sure your I94 (arrival/departure document, they make it at your port of entrance) is uploaded to the central database, which the SSA, the organization that issues the SSN, accesses in order to verify your information.

This means that as long as you entered legally to the US and your I94 is unexpired, you are able to apply and get a Social Security Number.

HOWEVER, since you have already submitted your I-495 AND checked the box that you want to be issued the number, then you just have to wait until your Adjustment of Status is done, which could take a while, as you don't want there to be a duplicate-request issue later one.

By the way, this is what I did: I arrived on the 15th of August, got married on the 19th, and directly applied for my SSN on the 30 of that month. It worked out fine and now I have my number, AoS still pending.

But don't dispair... there are many banks that allow you to get basic bank accounts without a SSN. If this doesn't work out, you can always request an ITIN from the IRS. You can go ahead and google it. This number should work in lieu of the SSN.

Best of luck to you!

I arrived on Jan 10, 2022 and my I-94 will expire  Apr 9, i guess i have to wait til i get my GC. Im hoping no long delays for us tho im not rushing, im surprise we mailed my AoS i got my NOA1 on the mail after 4 days and my biometrics will be in the 20th this month, kinda fast in MI. Thanks anyway, Godbless 

*** Moved from AOS from K1 Visas forum to the SSN sub-forum ***

9 hours ago, BOKURAGAITA said:

I marked yes in my AOS about the SSN, are they gonna issue me my SSN? or I need to apply?

If you checked the SSN option on your I-485 form, then you should automatically receive your SSN after your AOS is approved.  But USCIS or SSA can make mistakes.  So if you do not get your SSN around 1 month after getting your green card, book an appointment at the local SSA office and apply for SSN in person.

9 hours ago, Jules_FP said:

you can always request an ITIN from the IRS.

Not really.  Most non-US resident aliens may only apply for ITIN when they file taxes MFJ with their spouse.  The W7 form for ITIN application normally must be submitted along with tax returns to be filed with the IRS.  Wanting an ITIN to open a bank account is not an acceptable reason to submit W7 without filing taxes, unless the bank is somehow able to provide a request letter to the IRS, which is unlikely.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.