Zin-Zin

I-864 N/A even in these blanks?

56 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, pushbrk said:

They will want the exact document described here.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/SouthKorea.html

Is that what you uploaded?

No, it's not. 

But when I went through the I-130, I applied for a new marriage certificate. When I got it, I asked for a more official document, and I was told that the document I had was the only one I could get. 

Fast forward to today, and according to the person in the district office in Seoul that I am in correspondence with by email, that document that you linked above did not exist before January 1, 2008. I was married in April 2007. 

I am currently looking for an official source that describes the creation of this document. 

How do I proceed?

Screenshot - 2022-06-16T110421.117.png

Edited by Zin-Zin

13 minutes ago, Zin-Zin said:

No, it's not. 

But when I went through the I-130, I applied for a new marriage certificate. When I got it, I asked for a more official document, and I was told that the document I had was the only one I could get. 

Fast forward to today, and according to the person in the district office in Seoul that I am in correspondence with by email, that document that you linked above did not exist before January 1, 2008. I was married in April 2007. 

I am currently looking for an official source that describes the creation of this document. 

How do I proceed?

Screenshot - 2022-06-16T110421.117.png

There was an entire change to the family registration system that passed April 27 2007 and went into effect on January 1 2008. 

https://www.gjcity.go.kr/portal/contents.do?mId=0402040100

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
On 6/16/2022 at 5:11 PM, Zin-Zin said:

There was an entire change to the family registration system that passed April 27 2007 and went into effect on January 1 2008. 

https://www.gjcity.go.kr/portal/contents.do?mId=0402040100

If you have the correct document for 2007, then print and upload the document you linked to.  If it's not in English, get it translated and upload both the original and the translation.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

On 6/18/2022 at 12:50 AM, pushbrk said:

If you have the correct document for 2007, then print and upload the document you linked to.  If it's not in English, get it translated and upload both the original and the translation.

Is that going to be enough to move us out of NVC and to the interview? 

I have an email conversation with literally the person who is in charge of the documentation at the district office as well. He tells me very plainly that I can't get it. 

I'm also considering hiring a Korean lawyer to write a letter. Is that overkill? I really just want to get through NVC and onto the interview ASAP. 

Timeline
12 hours ago, Zin-Zin said:

I have an email conversation with literally the person who is in charge of the documentation at the district office as well. He tells me very plainly that I can't get it. 

I'm also considering hiring a Korean lawyer to write a letter. Is that overkill? I really just want to get through NVC and onto the interview ASAP. 

Probably don't need the lawyer, but yes, I would print out the email exchange and upload that with the document.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

12 hours ago, Zin-Zin said:

Can you clarify if you filed your I-130 on 04/2022 and received USCIS approval on 06/2022 without an expedite request? That is the timeline that appears from your original post. 

To avoid circular discussions and delays w NVC ( since you cannot get a Supervisory Review) , just Google your Congressman , look for Case Authorization Form, print and complete it . Ask for help in dealing with NVC as they are rejecting the document in error thus causing hardship and delays. You can email ( copy of certificate, your emails )  the form today, w a copy of your id so they can verify you live in their district and follow up w a phone in a few days to make sure they have forwarded your request to the Congressional Liason . 

This is free and quite effective.

On 6/20/2022 at 12:28 AM, Family said:

Can you clarify if you filed your I-130 on 04/2022 and received USCIS approval on 06/2022 without an expedite request? That is the timeline that appears from your original post. 

To avoid circular discussions and delays w NVC ( since you cannot get a Supervisory Review) , just Google your Congressman , look for Case Authorization Form, print and complete it . Ask for help in dealing with NVC as they are rejecting the document in error thus causing hardship and delays. You can email ( copy of certificate, your emails )  the form today, w a copy of your id so they can verify you live in their district and follow up w a phone in a few days to make sure they have forwarded your request to the Congressional Liason . 

This is free and quite effective.

thanks working on this now. 

On 6/17/2022 at 11:50 PM, pushbrk said:

So the document is quite long. I am translating the initial 200 words that explain a new law has gone into effect and creating a new system of household and family registration. Is that enough or do I need to get the entire page translated?

I've attached the letter I plan to send as explanation of what happened. Do you think it's sufficient? 

Letter Explaining Wrong Documentation.pdf

Timeline
3 hours ago, Zin-Zin said:

So the document is quite long. I am translating the initial 200 words that explain a new law has gone into effect and creating a new system of household and family registration. Is that enough or do I need to get the entire page translated?

I've attached the letter I plan to send as explanation of what happened. Do you think it's sufficient? 

Letter Explaining Wrong Documentation.pdf 54.04 kB · 3 downloads

I have no idea. Perhaps NVC won't either with an incomplete translation.  The answer to most "Do you think it sufficient?" questions about something that is incomplete, is "no".

Google Who is Pushbrk?

It’s excellent. I would shoot this to ASK NVC with request for supervisory review and send it to congressman. 

also do a free foia online for wife’s old petition ( ask for complete file to include NVC ) . 

Letter Explaining Wrong Documentation.pdf 54.04 kB · 5 downloads

I think you need to show the actual documentation stating two non Koreans will only receive  the document you were given if they married before 2007 and no other document is available.

This statement might not be sufficient. You might need  a statement from a government official in Korea and you should probably provide explanation of the law. 

The laws I've read when it comes to Koreans makes it seem as if Koreans are furnished with an updated document... so if a Korean couple married prior to 2007 they'd be able to obtain the document the NVC wants. 

Maybe reach out to https://legal.seoul.go.kr/legal/english/front/page/contents.html?pAct=freeLegalConsultationService to help you out... and as I said in another thread you might want to try to contact the consulate in Korea to see if they'd accept that document if you were going through Korea for the IR1.... 

Edited by ROK2USA

17 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

I think you need to show the actual documentation stating two non Koreans will only receive  the document you were given if they married before 2007 and no other document is available.

This statement might not be sufficient. You might need  a statement from a government official in Korea and you should probably provide explanation of the law. 

The laws I've read when it comes to Koreans makes it seem as if Koreans are furnished with an updated document... so if a Korean couple married prior to 2007 they'd be able to obtain the document the NVC wants. 

Maybe reach out to https://legal.seoul.go.kr/legal/english/front/page/contents.html?pAct=freeLegalConsultationService to help you out... and as I said in another thread you might want to try to contact the consulate in Korea to see if they'd accept that document if you were going through Korea for the IR1.... 

The consulate in Seoul was of no help at all. I tried. 

I'm including the email exchange with the official in the Jongno-gu office who is responsible for family registrations. She says specifically that I cannot get it b/c I was married before 2008.

I'm also including a translation of the beginning of this page where it talks about the creation of the new law and the abolition of the old law. What do you think about that? I know you don't know, but do you think that's that enough? I've reached out to a few lawyers in Korea and getting the letter written is going to cost at least $500, and that's out of my budget. 

34 minutes ago, Family said:

It’s excellent. I would shoot this to ASK NVC with request for supervisory review and send it to congressman. 

also do a free foia online for wife’s old petition ( ask for complete file to include NVC ) . 

Thanks! I'm reaching out to my congresswoman. Waiting to hear back from her. 

In your opinion, is the evidence I've cited enough? An email exchange with the person responsible for my marital documentation in Seoul telling me that I cannot get it AND the first part of this webpage translated, indicating that there has been a change of law and with it the creation of new documentation. 

So I've never done a FOIA. Is it a pretty straightforward process? I'll give it a go and see what happens. 

1 minute ago, Zin-Zin said:

The consulate in Seoul was of no help at all. I tried. 

I'm including the email exchange with the official in the Jongno-gu office who is responsible for family registrations. She says specifically that I cannot get it b/c I was married before 2008.

I'm also including a translation of the beginning of this page where it talks about the creation of the new law and the abolition of the old law. What do you think about that? I know you don't know, but do you think that's that enough? I've reached out to a few lawyers in Korea and getting the letter written is going to cost at least $500, and that's out of my budget. 

Just because the page you provided says the law has change but makes no mention on how that impacts non-Koreans... I worry NVC will not accept that information. You can of course try using that as evidence but I would persist and try to upload stronger evidence... but submit what you have now so you get in line for your next review by NVC

1 minute ago, ROK2USA said:

Just because the page you provided says the law has change but makes no mention on how that impacts non-Koreans... I worry NVC will not accept that information. You can of course try using that as evidence but I would persist and try to upload stronger evidence... but submit what you have now so you get in line for your next review by NVC

Yes, I'm just not sure where to look. I've been searching for a few days now and this is the best I've come up with. Any other ideas of where I can find this stronger evidence? 

How about the email exchange with the official? Certainly that will add to my case. She's literally the person responsible for printing my documentation and she's directly telling me I cannot get it. 

50 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

I have no idea. Perhaps NVC won't either with an incomplete translation.  The answer to most "Do you think it sufficient?" questions about something that is incomplete, is "no".

Understood. Thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.