Saqib-s

SSN received in 3 weeks (WV)

5 posts in this topic

Made a little progress in my journey to settle here. Got my SSN on Monday, (three weeks after entering), opened a bank account (Chase) and applied to transfer my UK Amex to the US (approved). State is West Virginia.

Before I left the UK, my wife called the local SSA office and had booked me an appointment after speaking to a supervisor, for two weeks after I was due to arrive. My SSN had not turned up so we attended the office and the person we met was super helpful. He checked and no number had been assigned, he said he'll process the application and to call in 4 days and he'll check again and if I had been assigned a number he could print off a temporary card for me whilst the main over came in the post. In the end I received my card in the post the day I was due to call.

Would highly recommend signing up for the USPS informed delivery service, which will send you pictures of the mail you are due to receive that day in the form of an email.

If you find my post helpful please hit the 🤍 heart icon and hit 'Like' or 'Thanks'.    

• 19 Jan 2021: Submit I-130 to Texas Lockbox
  • 06 Mar 2021: NOA1 from Nebraska Service Center
  • 24 May 2021: NOA2 Petition Approved
  • 08 Jul 2021: NVC - Submit IV + AOS Documents 
  • 03 Sep 2021: NVC - RFE for missing W2/1099 
  • 09 Sep 2021: NVC - Re-submit: 1099 Co-sponsor + explanation for petitioner missing W2
  • 08 Dec 2021: NVC - DQ (Documentarily Qualified)
  • 30 Dec 2021: NVC - Interview email (Interview on 13th Jan)
  • 13 Jan 2022: London Embassy - Interview; approved pending arrival of Medical results - case status 'Refused'
  • 14 Jan 2022: Case Status 'Administrative Processing'
  • 18 Jan 2022: Case Status 'Issued'
  • 20 Jan 2022: Passport with visa collected in person
  • 14 Feb 2022: Enter USA via Dulles, airport
  • 29 Apr 2022: Green Card received in Post

• 5 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, syedashah said:

How did you book appointment am calling them from last week nobody receive my call, and also how can i check the status of my SSN and Green card i have entered US last week

We kept calling the local SSA office until we got through to someone. Took a long time. When they did answer initially they refused to give us an appointment, but we told them that we cannot apply by post as our original documents (passport and visa) have to kept with us at all times, we got out through to a supervisor and they approved the appointment and set it up. 

There's is no way that I know of to check the status of your SSN being issued.  

Your greencard will be issued in 90 days to 6 months. You can check the status of your green card by going to the USCIS case status page (same page you used to check the status of i-130 petition). Use the receipt number you were given when you paid your immigrant visa fee. The status generally will stay as 'immigrant visa fee paid' for a LONG time until they print the card. It's been over two months and my card has not been printed yet, and the status has not changed. 

If you find my post helpful please hit the 🤍 heart icon and hit 'Like' or 'Thanks'.    

• 09 Sep 2021: NVC - Re-submit: 1099 Co-sponsor + explanation for petitioner missing W2
  • 13 Jan 2022: London Embassy - Interview; approved pending arrival of Medical results - case status 'Refused'

2 minutes ago, Saqib-s said:

We kept calling the local SSA office until we got through to someone. Took a long time. When they did answer initially they refused to give us an appointment, but we told them that we cannot apply by post as our original documents (passport and visa) have to kept with us at all times, we got out through to a supervisor and they approved the appointment and set it up. 

There's is no way that I know of to check the status of your SSN being issued.  

Your greencard will be issued in 90 days to 6 months. You can check the status of your green card by going to the USCIS case status page (same page you used to check the status of i-130 petition). Use the receipt number you were given when you paid your immigrant visa fee. The status generally will stay as 'immigrant visa fee paid' for a LONG time until they print the card. It's been over two months and my card has not been printed yet, and the status has not changed. 

Hi, Thank you for the information but my status still says that "Case was sent to department of state for processing" which is same as after i got my I-130 approve.

10 minutes ago, syedashah said:

Hi, Thank you for the information but my status still says that "Case was sent to department of state for processing" which is same as after i got my I-130 approve.

That's because you're using the old recipient number for your i-130. As I described in my post, you need to use the new receipt number that you were given when you paid your immigrant visa fee, if you did not make a note of this I don't know where you would get it. 

Please click on the heart icon on my post that you find helpful and click onth thanks icon. 

Edited by Saqib-s

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.