zachary michael

I-864 forign income exclusion

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a question about reporting total income for the 3 most recent tax years on form I-864 part 6 number 24. I worked in Japan for 2019 and most of 2020. The form instructions say to put the total "adjusted gross income" from form 1040. I filed my taxes every year, but my income I made in Japan was excluded and because of that says $0 on the "adjusted gross income" line of the 1040. Should we put $0 for part 6 number 24 for 2019 and 2020? Or should we use how much I made in Japan? Anyone know what you should put for previous years if you used the forign earned income exclusion? 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
30 minutes ago, zachary michael said:

Hello, I have a question about reporting total income for the 3 most recent tax years on form I-864 part 6 number 24. I worked in Japan for 2019 and most of 2020. The form instructions say to put the total "adjusted gross income" from form 1040. I filed my taxes every year, but my income I made in Japan was excluded and because of that says $0 on the "adjusted gross income" line of the 1040. Should we put $0 for part 6 number 24 for 2019 and 2020? Or should we use how much I made in Japan? Anyone know what you should put for previous years if you used the forign earned income exclusion? 

It says to enter the total income line from the 1040 OR AGI if a 1040ez was filed.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
45 minutes ago, zachary michael said:

Ok, line 9 Total income on 1040 still says 0. Line 1 wages, salaries, tips, etc. has the salary I made in Japan. Are you saying it's okay to enter the amont on that line or should I enter the amount from the line that says Total Income which is $0 because it subtracts the exclusion? 

You must enter exactly what the return says. If it says 0, it's 0.

You might be asked for a joint sponsor though because the return numbers doesn't show "stable" work history in the US. Make sure you send as much proof as you can for current income and you might want to add an explanation that past returns show 0 because you were living abroad.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.